Dravidians should get Knight line

meta is one thing, but also adapting is a huge part of the game. You can do the “standard play” which is what you say, but if opponent does something offmeta, like say mass Celts Siege, you would be foolish to stay on Xbow and stay too long and follow your plan, best bet is to do probably small amount of Knights into Light Cav (to beat Monks who come together).

Agree. I was only disagreeing with you saying ‘Magyars never/rarely get bloodlines/husbandry/armor’.

If Dravidians get knights, which I’m not specficially against, then Gurjaras and Hindustanis MUST get them as well. I wouldn’t stand the inconsistency otherwise.

2 Likes

yeah probably Magyars want to get Bloodlines at some point. I am not exactly sure about when you get into CA, in general CA transition is considered one of the hardest transitions, it’s very important to get the timing right. Lots of issues such as many upgrades needed (Thumb Ring, Bloodlines etc.), but also CA are effective only once you get a certain mass, and furthermore they are also fairly expensive individually (40w 60g and you really notice that 40w how many more lumberjacks you need to develop eco and sustain production). Last but not least you need to hit Imp with a competitive time, and hit it in good shape so that you can afford a secondary meatshield unit (typically Hussar) and all the Imp upgrades.

I reckon generally Magyars try to play all-in ish in Castle age these days because playing the macro game and doing the transition into CA without dying can be very hard.

Instead of Knights we can add “Kaikolar Cavalry” wielding spear as a unique unit (model can be like General Araiyan). This is most apt to the cholas - whose entire imperial army is made of Kaikolars (strong armed warrior) and Sengunthars (red spear warrior) who wield spears mostly.
Also adding a new unit like "Airavatha/Royal WarElephant as Cavalry/cavalry archer dual mode) is most apt in Imperial age as their elephant army is one of toughest and made use of war suitable elephants found in souther tip of tamil nadu and sri lanka.

You can check my mods - Redefined empires (2 versions) where these are added and much more done.

Knights not needed but suitable unique cavalry unit can be added for each of the indian civilizations.
Hindustanis - Ahadi or heavy lancer cavalry
Gurjaras - heavy cavalry (additionally to Shrivamsha) like anti-unique unit cavalry similar to samurai. Shrivamsha is for pratiharas and Rajputs (identity got later) rode different heavy cavalry and light cavalry.
Bengalis - Possible to add Huna cavalry (as they were part of their army) similar to Cumans - Cuman-Kipchak confederation named as Cumans with Kipchak unique unit.
Dravidians - Kaikolar cavalry (possibly spear armed like general araiyan) and make them anti-cavalry cavalry with high attack.
Above are few suggestions.

1 Like

I think they should add a new Eagle Warrior type unit for India.
Not as strong and flexible as the actual Eagle Warrior line though since the Indians all have the Scout Cavalry line.
So an Eagle Warrior without the conversion resistance and bonus damage against monks but sharing the same weakness to Infantry.

It could potentially also be available to some South East Asian civilisations.

AoE3 has the Tiger Claw that fills a similar role.

2 Likes

No no no. This is over-representation of each civilization unique features. You’re breaking apart the abstraction of the game that allows to have generic unit lines. A game with 43 civilizations (and increasing) would be a complete mess with unique unit lines instead of generic ones.

I don’t see a reason for Dravidians to get Knights (horrible idea) or for South Asian civs to get their own unique cavalry unit.

Instead, Dravidians could just get a small buff to their light cavalry line. It’s already got some small use as a fast trash unit that can trade better against insanely armoured units. So might as well let them have either Husbandry or Bloodlines, just for a little push.

Visually it’s not utterly jarring in the army anyway.

1 Like