Drop-off mechanic under the TC

add ontop of having low elo players fail to kill sheep or lure boar/push deer right under the TC which is like 95% of the game they play. 5% of 3%… not worth rework mechanics over imho.

just thinking about what stuff they might break again 24

I think it would be interesting if one civ had a bonus where they could hunt without dropping off, similar to Khmer farms but for herdables. This would mean they could hunt random deer on the map without needing a TC or mill.

But I’m not sure if I like the idea of auto TC drop off becoming a universal thing for all civs, unless it’s deliberately programmed to still be weaker than manually dropping off. For example, I’m totally OK with auto scouting, because manual scouting is still far superior, so more skilled players are still rewarded for not using it. And auto reseeding farms is also fine, because it can harm the timing of your build orders when it steals wood you need for TCs or military + economic buildings. Auto TC dropping would have no downsides, so there would be no benefit there for more skilled players who have no problem with manually dropping off.

I get that you want the game to be noob friendly, but people don’t play Aoe2 because they want an easy game. It might seem like a small thing, but lots of small things can add up and fundamentally change a game which isn’t broken. Little things like TC idle time can win and lose games at mid to higher levels. Being 1 vill behind in the early game is not insignificant, it can massively affect feudal timings and swing those earliest battles into a snowball.

4 Likes

Yes. In terms of game mechan, it can be done by auro effect that will give the buff to the villager that they can drop off food instantly like khmer

1 Like

I want to revisit this brilliant idea. It is the elegant solution to fix exactly two civs for low elo players: Chinese and Georgians.

Georgians ranking #45 in winrate is just absurd, and shows how stupid it is having to force drop like a mad man. Even as a 16xx player, when playing Georgians, I almost always have at least 2 seconds of idle TC in dark age, while intensely focused on dropping off alone.

What’s the fun with this? It takes away your attention to terrain, scouting, and strat crafting.

If this suggestion is adopted, it would be the single best balance change ever imo:

• high elo players basically not impacted because they are already mechanically perfect;
  • low elo players would have 2 more civs viable in their hands;
  • mid elo players could focus on other more important things to improve.

@Felizon89 please make it happen :pray:

4 Likes

Georgians enter the same category as chinese in this regard - that’s right. People will be mad at this at first, but remembering to drop of food from a boar to make vils is not a skill, just an annoyance for lower ELO players.

5 Likes

I don’t see the harm in this suggestion, it may just make the game more smoother to play.

But of course I see some people trying to make the game more easy, “auto everything.”
Is it more easy now? Instead of focusing more of their attention in force dropping, now they will focus their attention of micro’ing their scout to kill your vils, just an example.

6 Likes

Yeah there would always be people reacting like this. But if you think about it, it’s a QoL feature just like shift queue. Removes a ton of unnecessary focus to spend, and even Viper cannot live without it today.

I know it’s just an example, but microing scout to kill vil is less likely in Dark Age on most maps, unless we talk about Socotra. Even in Feudal Age, trading scout hp vs a vil is normally not suggested, unless it’s a guaranteed kill.

There are far more meaningful things to look at, i.e. informed decisions. How to wall, strat choice based on your map and opponent’s map etc. Yes they may not require as much APM, but force drop every 25 sec just destroys the flow of mind too much.

1 Like

every 25 seconds is not much at all lol. maybe every 2-3 seconds yes

honestly I dont think this needs change at all its such a tiny QoL thing not worth having all the issue/bug that comes with it.

the newbies are not going to make use of it, the good players will prefer not to have them and that leaves very small portion of player who might wish for this.

overall just a hard no for me

1 Like

What are you talking about? Do you know why Chinese and Georgians have such low winrates? What’s your level?

ah the argument of “your level/elo” has surfaced

sadly 1+1 will equal to 2 whether you have a master in math or only an elementary 1st grader

you do realize your question of chinese/georgians win rate are consistent of multiple varied reasons right?

1 Like

You do realize this is a problem related with elo right?

Yes, show us the reasons?

no its not and I already gave you a reason why above. if you can’t understand that reason it would make sense why you can’t get my op how it doesn’t help newbies as much as you think it would.

If you mean low elo players usually don’t bring the boar (or even sheep) perfectly under tc, I agree. However if this change happens, it would be a huge incentive to improve this. It doesn’t take too much effort, and is way better a habit to have than force drop.

I agree, but hardcore players who are familiar with all the hotkeys and have a high APM (Actions Per Minute) want to maintain the game’s challenging nature for beginners. When you’re just starting out, it takes around 100 games to efficiently manage your first villagers without constantly having to idle your Town Center.

Consider the process of manually dropping resources when you’re under your TC; it takes a significant amount of time: press down the button, drag the mouse, release the button (to select the villager), press a button to drop resources, and then press another button to send your villager back to work.

Getting used to this process doesn’t mean everyone else should be forced to do the same.
Try to guess why player who can’t play many time a week never play regular game… It’s not fun to beaten only because you are not a nerd. Strategy and tatics should make the difference in low level game

As a 2k rated player myself, no we don’t. We want the player base to grow and new players to enjoy the game - not be put off by its mechanics.

3 Likes

you say huge incentive but not stating what they are. I can think of things that can do the opposite.

1. players becomign too reliant on it
  2. players confused when auto drop off vs no drop off
  3. break existing mods because it affects now TC works
  4. them introducing more bugs due to this
  5. it doesn’t really help newbie players as much as you claimed ot be

I see this idea in the realm of the changes in farm queue in DE. Before DE you had to manually full the queue, now you just get a new farm if you have the wood.

Changes like this makes the game play so much smoother without sacrificing the decision making part. Force drop offs are just an annoyance, it has nothing to do with real strategic decision making at all.

3 Likes

High level players are actually among the first to want the game to be more inclusive as they know the game inside out and now how frustrating it can be to a newcomer.

3 Likes

UNDER TC = KHMER FARMERS TO EVERYTHING?
10/10 :medal_sports:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve found the only way to have a consistent dark age with Georgians is to have 7 villagers on hunt instead of 6. The same way you would play as Chinese.