E3 2018

I don’t think Relic is solely deciding how much development time is invested and what’s the release date for AoE4, neither when it was announced, I think Microsoft has the main call on that, they are the ones financing the development. I hope they release it later, when it’s ready, rather than sooner. Better to wait more and have a complete game.

Also, we should stop with the Relic going bankrupt thing, they probably or hopefully have a good deal in terms of money to make AoE4 and they are also growing larger for the projects ahead, moving into a bigger office building this year. Yes, Dawn of War 3 was a draw back for them, but hopefully they will bounce back with such a huge title that is AoE4, since I’m sure plenty of resources are invested this time and they have a listen-community approach this time since they are also supervised by Microsoft.

@IamDalv said:
I don’t think Relic is solely deciding how much development time is invested and what’s the release date for AoE4, neither when it was announced, I think Microsoft has the main call on that, they are the ones financing the development. I hope they release it later, when it’s ready, rather than sooner. Better to wait more and have a complete game.

Also, we should stop with the Relic going bankrupt thing, they probably or hopefully have a good deal in terms of money to make AoE4 and they are also growing larger for the projects ahead, moving into a bigger office building this year. Yes, Dawn of War 3 was a draw back for them, but hopefully they will bounce back with such a huge title that is AoE4, since I’m sure plenty of resources are invested this time and they have a listen-community approach this time since they are also supervised by Microsoft.

Correct. Microsoft is actually leading the project (Adam isgreen, if i Remember well). Cross fingers for new info at e3 2018.

By the way, if you think about it, Dawn of War 3 and SW Battlefront 2 are two very important failures to happen before AoE4 that should change AoE4 for the better. The first one is going to change Relic’s approach in game making, and the 2nd one (probably the biggest controversy in gaming history, having politics involved, with Belgium issuing laws that send you to prison for these practices as of late), makes Microsoft thinking twice about microtransactions/lootboxes in AoE4.
So these were a blessing in disguise for AoE4.

@BAJOLI said:

“> Relic started works on Aoe4 before Dow3 release”

Artists could have finished their work on DOW3 earlier then the game itself. That’s likely to be the case, but that doesn’t mean the entire studio was working on it. Lets say the entire studio switched from DOW3 around april 2017, around the release of DOW3.

“>You don’t start loading the hype train on something like this with no follow up plan at all, and E3 is sort of the defacto day for any sort of follow up.”

I actually do believe that Relic entertainment sincerely believes that starting a hypetrain on AOE4 would also give them higher sales numbers on dawn of war 3 and other games of relic.

“>They made a whole bonafide teaser trailer.”

It was just an artist impression without the game engine itself being shown. If you think aoe4 is being released soon you may have a tough 2 years ahead of you. Another option is that relic is going to rush aoe4 out as soon as possible to avoid going bankrupt (if the rumors are correct). In such case you can expect a 60 dollar game with 3 civs and 20 dollar civ DLC’s, just to do a quick money grab. The latter i wouldn’t prefer.

I’m… not seeing how announcing AOE 4 is supposed to have elevated sales for DOW 3, given that they are two considerably different markets. Yeah, they are both RTS games, but that’s about where the audience overlap ends.

I also said nothing about AOE 4 being released soon, just that they’d likely have something to show and speak about soon.

Regarding the number of civs though… here’s the thing. If they release a game with 30+ civs, even half of which use the same graphics for infantry, buildings and what not, people will call bullshit. If they release a game with four civs, each with 100% unique art work, people will call bullshit. Unfortunately, this is a situation in which no one is going to let them win either way, least of all anyone in the fan base…

Personally, I am A-okay with a small selection of completely unique civs instead of a dozen that are all identical except for a few stat changes here and there.

Relic does not decide when and how Aoe4 is announced, marketed, etc. That is MS’s decision.

@Eininfar said:
@Augustusman is correct (though perhaps a bit harsh calling them “that little modder studio” :stuck_out_tongue: ). The development of AOE 4, as far as we know, has little to nothing to do with the Definitive Edition series.
But skilled, specially art.

https://www.e3expo.com

Scroll down the page. I dont see neither Microsoft neither Relic as participating companies.

Can’t wait.
Also… i’m going to receive much hate for that but i prefer a sooner release and have no problem at all to pay for lots of DLCs and extras later. This is AoE4 after all, if you don’t pay for extras here then where are you going to pay? I don’t have my whole life to wait for its release anyway. Peace out :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Patience is virtue

@IamDalv said:

Scroll down the page. I dont see neither Microsoft neither Relic as participating companies.

I would be happy for just another trailer with some gameplay, or just more information about the game at this point

@Teutonic_knight said:

@IamDalv said:

I would be happy for just another trailer with some gameplay, or just more information about the game at this point

I’m with you, mate

@IamDalv said:

hi, it’s true, strangely microsoft does not appear among the participating companies, but we know very well that there! try to do a search: “e3 2018 microsoft” and you’ll see that microsoft has every intention of being present at this e3.

As I said already, don’t get your hopes up too high. They are still recovering from the AOE DE hype. :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all MS will be there with a much smaller presence (like EA did before them) and it’s expected they will focus this year on Mixer and promote some new games for the XBox One.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-14-microsofts-e3-2018-media-briefing-has-a-date-and-a-new-venue

Except the release of AOE IV by Relic my interest is in AOE II DE release first. If it takes Relic about 3-4 years to develop a new AOE version on their essence engine we can expect some more news maybe somewhere next year. Most likely MS marketeers will plan this between release of AOE II and III DE, which makes me wonder how far they are with AOE II DE development at the moment.

I hope they start a little bit sooner with sending beta invites, use even more beta testers and take enough time to finish it well - like ‘release ready’. The same advice I would like to give Relic Entertainment. o:)

Except the release of AOE IV by Relic my interest is in AOE II DE release first. If it takes Relic about 3-4 years to develop a new AOE version on their essence engine we can expect some more news maybe somewhere next year. Most likely MS marketeers will plan this between release of AOE II and III DE, which makes me wonder how far they are with AOE II DE development at the moment.

I don’t think development needs to much time. Some lucky guys already tried the alpha version.

@IamDalv said:

Microsoft games will almost certainly be there with the name “XBOX live”, because that is the name of the platform of microsoft games. But indeed they are not in the list yet. The same for Relic entertainment not being there as well.

It isn’t likely to see anything about aoe 4 at E3 2018. Gamescom is the more likely congress to have age of empires announcements. Probably aoe2 definitive edition. Maybe some screenshots of aoe4.

Hoping to hear something about the Age 2 and Age 3 remasters soon!

In youtube and many sources everyone is talking about Halo and others. I think AoE4 is delayed.

@Koomazaz said:
Hoping to hear something about the Age 2 and Age 3 remasters soon!

Isn’t a trivial thing.

No sign of Relic at E3. Microsoft didn’t even mention Relic’s, ore aoe’s existence… RTS games are 100% dead on E3 press conferences thusfar.

We only Hope in PC GAMING SHOW