Eastern Roman Empire

I will say it again Venice had the most powerfull navy in 1200 it was the richest in europe in 1200 i would really like to have it as DLC same for Eastern Roman Empire with the Greek Fire.

1 Like

Ok, we heard you, now try to breathe of bit.

2 Likes

Venice might’ve been small but it was the centre of Medieval Europe. I can definitely see it making its way into later expansions.

2 Likes

As for the Norse, I can see them not being added to the base game given that designing another nomadic civ might be a lot of work.

I agree on Venice as a DLC civilization if AoE IV dives more into Renaissance, which would make it a must. But Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium) would be the best option for the base game, identifying with the remnants of the Roman Empire, fitting better into the whole AoE IV timeline with a more expanded geographical influence, and how gorgeous would it be with Constantinople, greek fire, and its beautiful architecture.

Honestly, would feel a bit strange for me not having byzantines. It’s one of the most classic medieval factions in videogames.

3 Likes

So I don’t understand why you aren’t okay with the holy roman empire representing Italy. The Kingdom of Italy was part of the holy roman empire, Venice was the only main city state that was independent from the HRE. So all of northern italy minus Venice would be represented, how are not okay with this? This game has less civs overall- They need to include huge empires, not smaller city states- even ones that had major influence.

I would suspect the HRE, Byzantines, Kievan Rus and Franks as the European Civs, with possible inclusion of Vikings and Spain.

1 Like

dude lol at 1200 AD Venice was a TRADE EMPIRE (it had the monopoly of mediterrain trade) it was richer and had the most powerfull navy. HRE is just some empire that tried to steal from Roman this germanic empire has nothing to do with Italy by 1300 HRE lost almost all italian territory.
Venice was impossibe to conquer nobody could do it not even the HRE, Venice had the record of 1100 years of the same Government didnt change it because it worked tell me any other country or empire that hold much as venice in this regard.
Im not asking Venice to be on the main game but as DLC or expansion in the future.
Eastern Roman Empire should be on the main game not as dlc.

Just in case

“The Venetian Arsenal was a revolutionary shipbuilding and manufacturing facility developed in Medieval Venice that was centuries ahead of its time. It has been called the first factory in the world by some historians for its modern concepts of efficiency, quality control, and production.”

1 Like

Venice would a water and defensive civ, with great sea army, commerce and mercenaries.

1 Like

Isn’t the Chinese navy the largest and most advanced one during the middle ages until they dismantled it because of disuse? Just how much credit should I give to your descriptions?

In any case, shouldn’t the Byzantines or “Italian States” be a better choice? That would make it more likely to be included in the game too. Plus, they seem rather similar enough to me. If you think that it is not enough, then it will be better to argue why they are more dissimilar than the Chinese states during their various civil wars, or perhaps Yuan and Song (which I think is a standard for how the Devs consider civs in AoE IV). That would be far more useful than saying “state X did A, B, C and so must be included on its own and not part of a larger identifier state Y.

1 Like

Venice was a vassal of ERE. This is a historical fact. There is a treaty between Charlemagne and Nikephoros which stated that Venice was a Byzantine territory. The question is, when did Venice really became independent? Prob. somewhere around the 9th century, with the waning of byz. power. Still their ties with eachother where strong, and they remained (most of the time) allies till the 4th crusade.

1 Like

The Republic of Venice as such from the 6th to the 10th centuries was an incredibly Hellenized area by the Byzantine presence.

All the monasteries inherited by the Venetians were dedicated to Byzantine saints and the same city had the Greek saint Theodore as its patron, this without counting that the most important families were Greek or had Greek origins, among them were the Candiani, Zancaroli and Semitecoli to say the least. In general the Venetians were also Hellenized “adopting the Greek customs and manners” to the point of being confused by the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire by the Byzantines themselves.

I see it more convenient that they be added to the Byzantines directly or a late Venetian republic free of these Byzantine influences.

Probably between 726 and 755 dc. That was when the first doge (or byzantine dux) was elected by the venetians, and not appointed by the emperor, and it was Orso Ipato. After a couple of more doges the venetians were autonomous.

This was actually when the the capital of the venetians was still at Malamocco, so before the capital was the island of Rialto (that later became Venice).

It could be a bit of both. An early Venice would be similar to the byzantines, and more unique as they age up.