Economic Upgrades Very Low Utility

It does halve the # of times required to chop down a tree, so that’s accurate. But that’s all it does - it doesn’t double the collection rate, nor does it mention that it does that anywhere. That’s why it’s so cheap. Forestry is a good pickup once you have 20 or so lumberjacks.

Forestry is a military upgrade so you can cut around walls quicker :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s very misleading, though, as collecting wood, in terms of common language usage, is chopping down trees. I would have at least added the word “initial” to make it a bit clearer. The game doesn’t provide any explanation of the mechanics anywhere to tell you that the process has a distinction between the initial chopping down and subsequent collection, so I had seen the words chopping and collection as synonymous.

Eco techs are too expensive in this game and make them not worth the investment most of the time, the devs clearly have no experience designing a game with multiplayer mind

Como jugador de Delhi, rara vez pienso en las mejoras económicas. Haz clic y olvídate. Ahora me siento mal por todos los demás.

Yikes. As someone who fanboys Delhi, I wish AgeofNoob didn’t give out this secret lol!

@AgeofNoob3936 Thanks for your videos and insights. These are definitely very helpful.

Is it possible that the devs included these trap techs to force players to think about what tech they are getting, rather than randomly researching every tech they can?

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily call them trap techs, but there’s poor balance in latter techs for sure. It’s just a matter of time that these things get ironed out in future patches. RTS games always have situational techs that require thought as to when to pick them up, if at all.

2 Likes

I like the idea of making technologies cheaper, especially tier 3 ones, this will do an indirect nerf in Delhi which is currently quite Op while making technologies as options to take rather than thinking about them only in age 3.

I think there are couple of things to consider when picking up the eco techs, like your unit comp for example. If you want to go full knight lategame on a team map you will have 40+ gold miners and stone miners on top which makes even the mining tech a lot more attractive.

Even in 1v1s the third food tech is often worh it, but wood and mining are harder to justify unless to you do some kind of Rus siege spam with 50 guys on wood. I play mainly Abbasid and between the tech discount and an insanely food heavy army I’ll pick up the food tech as soon as I have my farms up and running in imperial.

Another thing to consider is that food and wood eco upgrades can help you balance your economy i.e. you pay food and gold to boost your wood income or wood and gold to boost your food. Sure, this is imperfect play, but sometimes you just don’t have the production to use all your ressources without ramping up a queue.

I think early eco techs are heavily underestimated and not picked up often enough. Imo at least the French early game meta vs slow civs like Abbasid and Delhi will go towards picking up early wheelbarrow and horticulture.