English needs a neerf ASAP

I myself are not a very good player, but the English late-game is crazy… I can counter ca. half of the early English pushes… But in late game, I don’t know what to do with them. In a recent game, I was with Chinese, survived the early push, gained 3/4 of the map (Dry Arabia), had all gold mined, had castles everywhere, had trade running, opponent not. With his farms with enclosures, he had more gold then I could gather using 15 traders and all mining sites on the 3 quarters on the map. He built constantly so many men-at-arms… fully upgraded - palace guards, nest of bees, bombards were constantly run over by them. I had 130 villagers, I could push in a couple of times but the men-at-arms with the gatling gun castle eliminated my attacks…

I was extremely surprised one can come back from that state. I obviously did many things wrong, but I can’t imagine, that any other civ could have survived in the situation. But was a fun 70 minutes game, so not complaining, but English has it’s perks.

2 Likes

English is actually on the weak side in imperial. They are passable but definitely in the bottom half of civs right now. Enclosures is nice, but it’s one of their few bonuses and there are other civs that get more free gold than that anyway too.

2 Likes

As someone who isn’t a particularly good player, I find English quite reliable, and so do a lot of other people in the co-op online games I play, it might be the single most popular civ choice in my games. First of all, they have a strong early game, with both longbows and the ability to mass maa early, and then push with rams. If that doesn’t end the game early, the nice thing about the late game is the synergy between cheap farms, enclosures, and the split between food and gold cost of maa. It’s cheap to make lots of farms, and they give you a lot more food than gold, but maa also cost a lot more food than gold, so that matches nicely. If anything, it’s the mid-game that feels weakest to me, as the early maa is no longer an advantage once everyone has them, but the “free” 2nd TC landmark is still quite nice in the scenario where the early push hasn’t ended the game. All these things can be made use of without being demanding of APM/micro from the player, so I think they are strong for low level players for these reasons.

3 Likes

Yeah i agree. They are extremely op in low level. Please nerf.

your first goal at low elo should be, get better and dont cry for a nerf

I completely agree that the rate they can spam and rush longbows is op, however I can only see this nerf coming alongside with a nerf for the Mongols, or else Mongols will just dominate the ladder even more.

delhi can put one scholar into a archery range and has 100% production speed. Is this OP too for you? they have the same speed and you could build more then one archery range and put another scholar into…
If you dont need the scholar, because army is big enough you use it for healing.

this crying is so annoying

1 Like
  • Longbowman are stronger than delhi archers
  • Delhi require gold investment for scholars
  • English dont have to have anyone on gold past aging up
  • English farming bonus to back it up
  • The council hall is the age up landmark, meaning u can be pumping out longbows as soon as you hit Feudal
  • Delhi would need to get to feudal, build an archery range, get a scholar for it (requiring more time mining gold compared to English). This is much more time investment compared to English

Its not just about the buildings singular bonus, there are a multitude of factors lmao

1 Like

english is now better, but NOT OP French and mongols have still a better winrate, why you dont cry about that?

its just boring. just show me a video against a english and we will see whats going on.
In my opinion most of the users are just bad and way to greedy

3 Likes

So English is better now? going back on ur point I see

This thread is specifically about English, I think Mongols are easily the most op civ, and I dont think ive versed French once in ranked in about 30 games so I cant really comment.

Just because Mongols and French arent balanced doesnt mean English dont deserve some criticism

To be honest, I think at the moment English is the only civ, that has a fairly interesting dark age gameplay (with options what you want to do). For most other civs the point is simply to age up as fast as possible.
Also in late game, they have nice bonuses and strong units.

Not sure if OP or not, but certainly a very interesting civ with many options to play.

English stats wise are in a good position ranked 50.6%. Quick match is another problem there they are at 51.5%.

• This shows that this is a problem mid low tier. All the high level players to pros play almost exclusively ranked.

• The only thing that is the same Ranked and Quick Match is the French. They are at the top this season.

Problem with the English from alot of complains it seems are the Longbowmen.

• Here we have another tipe of problem that is hard to balance or hard to take a stance on balancing.
  • They are not Op but are in the “not fun to play against” category.
  • This does not pose a problem at high level but is a problem at mid low level where the majority of the playerbase is.
    Ex: Is the exact matchup Delhi vs English. Stats wise they are close to 50% winrate against each other but you need to be alot more focused playing Delhy than playing English and it not a fun matchup from the Delhy player perspective.

French only have a high win ratio because they are decent vs any civ included english. English on the other hand are op vs any civ other than French and HRE which are the only ones that can have a fair game vs english with the early knights and early man at arms and HRE sucks vs any other civ. Nerf English and the French win ratio will also drop.
Mongols are quite difficult to play so it makes sense they have a higher win ratio since the people that play them practice a lot with them. But they still struggle vs English in all levels. English are the easiest civ to play and they are too op.

Yes, I think all archers are op because of the 100% accuracy and homing projectiles but english are by far the worst offender.

ranked queue was just released, give it a month.

I think it is other nations that are too weak, not England that is too strong. We should strengthen other civilizations. English longbowmen are not very funny. The bowman’s Q skill is never used. Originally it was a very strong skill, a very fun skill. I don’t want it to get weaker. It’s that other civilizations should be stronger

Buff Mangonels vs ranged units. English is not the problem here.

English is certainly one of the strongest civs right now but I think all civs are pretty close so we don’t need anything drastic to balance.

In my opinion the problem with the English is that they can do pretty much anything atm. They can be superaggressive early in the game yet it’s very hard to punish them. The have access to MAA two ages earlier than everyone else and have the best archer in the game. So it’s really hard to find a weakness in their comp.

Suggestion:

• Increase farm cost by 10 wood - they can have farms under their TC very early on (usually in feudal already) which puts them in a very comfortable position when other civs are forced to expose themselves to gather food
  • Decrease English TC damage by 1 - their TC has ridiculous damage and makes it possible for them to play aggressive knowing their TC can defend counter-attacks

IMO if a player decides to play aggressive they should be forced to commit to the aggression and shouldn’t be able to naturally play offensive and defensive at the same time without much effort.

What civ do you play? I believe English is OP compare to other civs but I think the right direction should be to buff other civs rather than nerfing English.

Current stats of Ranked Season indicate that civs are very balanced atm with only a few outliers remaining (Ranked Match 1v1 – Civilizations – AoE4 World). So what exactly are the statements “english (longbows) are OP” based on?

1 Like