European Civ DLC

I disagree with Italians not being a major civ, but I have to admit they did not have an Empire for most of the game’s timeframe.

2 Likes

I think you are asking for too much :wink:
I’m assuming that we are going to get 3 African civs in the nearest DLC (like in War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties expansions). If developers will be willing to create another DLC that I would expect 3 new civs too. It just have to be:
1) Poland - one of the largest, most powerful and most populous country in XV-XVIII age in Europe
2) Italy - simply most voted civ by community
3) Persia/Morocco/Denmark/Austria - every one of them is fine. Let the developers decide if its better to create DLC with 3 European countries or make it a little bit more diverse to attract players.

way too OP for age 3 upgrade

compared to the other tech at this age this is pretty much worthless

this is way stronger than the other options. and OP

its a pretty bad unit as is, i dont think anyone would use it if i am honest.

What are your suggestions in place of the ones you mentioned?

PS: I added Danes. I got a bit inspired by your topic.

keep in mind that a european faction would be way easier to make than an african faction, you dont need to make a new set of buildings and you dont need to make the entire roster from the bottom up, depending on the faction they’ll have between 2 and 5 unique units most likely.

hmm.

Bohemia: war wagons +10% Hp and dmg?

Saxony: not certain but maybe an officer unit or something?

german confederation: a large amount of experience (so you can send upgrades from the homecity)

confederation of the rhine: all military upgrades are cheaper or perhaps just send some art units?

i would love to make the upgrades overall more unique, maybe stealing the “add shipment” thing from the US wouldn’t be a bad idea? could allow for some crazier ideas but i am not certain how viable all of this is.

1 Like

so a few notes here:

the reason why i ended up replacing skirmisher with “sharpshooter” (which definitely wasn’t stolen by the US) is because i felt like the faction needed more of a Norwegian presence, and since Norwegian skirmishers are really famous it made a lot of sense to choose to spice that unit up to reflect this.

then there is the landsoldat, which i intend to be more of a trade off and bulk unit, essentially you can get a bigger mass and win vs enemy musket spam but in return you are not as effectively going to protect other units from enemy cavalry forcing you to diversify. i am not a fan of the unit just becoming a guard musketeer because that is not really what they where and also if all factions get guard musk then the unit essentially loses its point i feel.

Friskytte while seemingly famous are irregulars, and i also feel like with both skirmishers and crossbows in your set up they dont really have much of a point, this is 1 of those cases where it is too much of the same. i put them to be a sort of town militia (hey another American thievery) because i felt that best represent them as a unit, these are volunteers who fight to defend their home, not regular soldiers.

crossbowmen, well when i made my faction idea the unit was sort of unnecessary cause you already had the cheaper musketeer type to bulk up your early defense a bit. i also dont think crossbows where actually used in the periode at all, so yeah, i dont really feel like this unit has much of a place in the faction.

the rest is fine though.

2 Likes

I think minor Europeans should be relegated to mercenaries. IMO, it would seem odd to have so Eura-peaans hanging out at some “outpost” ready to begin an alliance with your people. I also respectfully disagree with Austria for reasons which you know by now.

Other than that I’m completely on board.

Unique Age up mechanic for Italians civ (instead of choosing politicians):

Age 2

Sicily - Picciotto (instead of Militiaman) This Unit use Lupara. Don’t lose hit points over time, and allows them to be called from Outposts.

obraz

Papal State - You can train Swiss Pikemen (rename to Papal Guard) in Barracks and Forts.

Sardinia - shipment 3 Fishing Boats. Free and immediate all upgrades for Fishing Boats.

Corsica - shipment 4 Coureur des Bois and 3 Cows

Age 3

Malta - You can train Hoop Thrower in Artillery Foundry.

Genoa - Crossbowman have better stats, and rename to Genoese Crossbowman.

Venice - You can train Venetian Sailing Ship in Dock. Unlock all Technologies from Age I and 2 in Market.

Florence - Any two Technology from the Arsenal is free.

Age 4

obraz

Lombardy - You can train Alpino in Barracks and Forts. The Alpino is a long-ranged skirmisher unit, with low hitpoints and damage. It is very cheap.

Tuscany - shipment 4 Mill Wagons. Free and immediate all upgrades for Mill.

Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - Sicilian Mafia (Big Button in Tavern) - Outlaws are cheaper and train faster

obraz

Naples - Gives 5,000 experience points.

Age 5

Italian Republic - All military upgrades are cheaper.

Cispadane Republic - You can train Cuirassier in Stable, and Napoleon Gun in Artillery Foundry.

Kingdom of Italy - Ironclad replace Monitor, Steamer replace Galleon.

7 Likes

so i’ve been thinking a bit about the german “rework” so here are my ideas for the 2 last age up:

age 4:

prussia: allows the recruitment of musketeers, musketeers start in guard age

austria: allows the recruitment of magyar hussar (higher HP, lower dmg, less extreme than the US version)

Ruhr industrialist: ships 1 factory wagon

Saxony: all infantry units are slightly fast and do more dmg (10%/10%)

Holstein: gives access to the ironclad, a maximum of 1 can be built at any time, ships 1 at age up.

age 5:

german confederation: all age 5 economic upgrades are free, ships 2 settlerwagons

confederation of the rhine: all military upgrades are cheaper, ships 1 heavy cannon

german empire: buff to neddlegunners hp and dmg (10%/10%)

bigger germany: all artillery do more dmg (15%)

ill admit that the age 4 ones are probably at large more interesting than the age 5 ones, but it is hard to come up with good ideas that wouldn’t bust the faction (tho i suppose the faction would be rebuilt a lot if this rework comes anyhow).

1 Like

Who do you mean exactly?

We don’t need Danubians.

7 Likes

Commonwealth and Italians are deserving candidates for AoE3.

2 Likes

I actually like the USA mechanic for new civs like Italy and Prussia/HR

Regarding the conflict with the current germans, just rename Germans as Austrians and change the HC to Vienna (maintaining the current civ with some minor tweaks to card names and unit names).

Also change their Argentinian Revolution to other country like Romania, Bosnia and Czechia.

I noticed something strange. People want Prussia, which only became relevant in the 18th century. The Prussian civ is not very interesting. Just give Musketeer and Jaeger for Germans civ, and better stats for shooting units, Uhlan and Dragoon.

Renaming this civ is very stupid. You want this game’s destruction. The creators are to remove Frederick the Great and Berlin to rename Vienna ??? After all, it’s a waste of time and game destruction!

This civ are Germans! All the HRE nations were small compared to the Habsburg Empire. You have gaps in history saying that Austria is represented in this civ. How? Do we have anything on this civ related to the St. Stephen’s Crown?

Take a look at these maps:

Looking at these maps, we can see that LESS THAN HALF the Habsburg Empire was part of the HRE. Austria was in HRE, HUNGARY NO!

Your arguments that Austria makes no sense in this game preclude adding other civs. Why the Danes if they are Scandinavians - Swedes represent them. Why the Persians when they are represented by Ottomans and Indians?

Let us add Austrians, Poles, Italians and Danes and let Europe be complete and done.

2 Likes

It is worth noting that the Austrians were one of the enemies of the Prussians.

The Prussians do not need their own civ, what would they have to show?
Teutonic Knights?
Potsdam Giants?

I think it’s enough to give a similar Age up model to the USA civ, and give Prussia a choice there. The training of the Musketeers and some Big Button are enough to represent the Prussians. The Prussian choice could replace the Doppelsoldner to Musketeer and possibly the War Wagon to Hussar.

Giving Magyar Hussars (Industrial Age) and Landswehr Fusiliers (Fortress Age) to Germans, would already make them cover both Prussia and Austria.
Then you could also introduce a civ bonus that the Renegado is always available to them, and they are upgraded into Hajduks by default (100 Food, less HP, better Attack), or rework it into the Improved Mercenaries card.

3 Likes

Prussia’s rise began near the end of the 30 years war, which is 17th century. The nation existed before that ofcourse. Not very interesting is your opinion.

Renaming three things is a waste of time and destruction of the game. We’re better of removing and replacing mechanics and units, that way the game will remain.

The Hungarian revolution?

They have a bunch of victories over the Austrians to show for a start.

If the Italians ever get added to AoE3, I think it would be really cool if they had a unique “Genoese Crossbowman” unit that was somewhat like a Huron or Haudenosaunee Mantlet (but less geared towards siege).

So it would be a 2 pop unit that has two dudes in it, one fella manning the crossbow and another holding up the large shield (pavise) to protect the team. Would be a little more like how crossbow teams operated historically.

3 Likes

Hajduk has nothing to do with Renegado…
Besides, the model of this Unit is typically American. Does not fit Central Europe.

Landswehr Fusiliers - Pandurs are definitely more distinctive. Besides, it would be a true Balkan unit. The Pandurs uniform would definitely stand out from other Units.

It wouldn’t be anything new, just a stat change for Outlaw …
It is definitely not European. Also, I don’t like naming the old Units differently and considering them new. It’s just laziness and boredom.

The Austrians had Units in their army unheard of in the rest of the German states. Only Austria was a multinational empire. Besides, looking at the maps from that period, the Habsburg Empire was not much smaller than the HRE. The HRE without the Austrian Empire was smaller than the Austrian Empire.

HRE was mostly inhabited by the Germanic and Italian nations. Within the AoE 3 timeframe, HRE lost control of Northern Italy and the Netherlands (the Dutch are a Germanic nation). The only other thing was the Czechs who became part of the Habsburg Empire.

The Habsburg Empire may have much more interesting and completely different units than those seen in HRE.

The Habsburg Empire did not want to unite with the rest of the Germans, they were definitely more interested in eastern and southern Europe. It is unfair to include this empire, rich in nations and culture, among the Germans in general.

Why can’t Austrians have their own civ? The Dutch were also part of the HRE and they have their own civ … (yes I know they were a colonial and naval power, but they were in the HRE. So according to your logic they shouldn’t have their own civ).

1 Like