European cultures in the game, anything missing? HRE?

So anything that doesn’t support your fantasy claim is minor details that can be changed any time anything that supports it is set in stone.

2 Likes

What are you talking about man?

I have argued that the Teutons civ have nothing to do with HRE except for minor details that have no bearing on entertainment what is true.

It is the same as saying that the Indians civ represents all of India where it is known that this is unreal and this civ is based solely on the Mughals.

Teutons civ are based on the Teutonic Order in 90% !!!
10% is the shield, description and names of the rulers

Crenellations aren’t specific to the Teutonic Order – in reality, they were used by most of the cultures represented in the game. The description is no more relevant than the civ’s history section, which you’ve dismissed as a “minor detail”.

I notice that you claim that Teutons are “based solely on the Teutonic Order”. To disprove that, one only needs to find a single feature of the civ unrelated to the Teutonic Order. I note that their Wonder has nothing to do with the Teutonic Order, having been built long before the Order was existed. Not only that, it was founded by a count of the Holy Roman Empire!

One could rewrite this (for example) with England in place of Germany, and Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, Kent, East Anglia, etc. in place of your various German states – but it would be absurd to argue for separate civs for each of them, and even one new English civ would be a stretch. Why is Germany any different?

5 Likes

@MUTYLATOR5553 original Aoe2 classifies its civilizations as ethnicities, not dynasties/kingdoms* (what HRE is). So Teutons really represent all the Germanic peoples of central Europe, there is no need for another faction of that kind.

*There are only two exceptions in the original game: Vikings and Byzantines.
The first lacks a better-known name to represent Danes, Norwegians and Swedes (Northern or Scandinavian are not so famous); The latter really goes against the game logic in representing a multi-ethnic empire. But it’s a more than understandable exception:
(1) it’s the Roman empire!
(2) is one of the few civs to exist throughout the medieval period.

1 Like