Every update makes the game more complicated and less accessible for new players, because of unique names and units

Perhaps even macemen might be ok now as well.

1 Like

Did you buy a new skin pack?

2 Likes

Agree with OP.

Honestly I have no idea what the developers are doing, besides adding more and more broken crap to the game that makes it unfun to play. I’ve been playing the game since 2007 and it makes me quite sad to see the game turn into a meme infested clown game. Revolts are not good or fun RTS design and the devs should have gotten rid of revolts instead of turning the game into age of memes. It’s incredibly saddening to see a game I grew up with being killed by people who have no idea what they’re doing. Funny thing is that I already bought DE and most of the DLCs. so I guess they still won! what a joke

4 Likes

Great to see that time travel has been realized.
I must be in 2005 now.

4 Likes

wow me sorprende la gente que llora por que se estan implementando cosas nuevas al aoe 3 DE yo sinceramente ya no quiero jugar el vainilla por que se nota que quedo muy obsoleto, si tanto les disgusta el de pues no lo jueguen y ya

14 Likes

arguably I play too many card games so I am used to having card titles that doesn’t necassarily relate to the card effects

also I mostly play china so card effect & names are just seperate things in my brain.

I would also note tat card names was always more pliable outside of the core unit shipments. upgrade shipments have always been a bit random in references, like a lot (if not all) of the russian upgrade cards

boyars , stretlet horde, team scout cavalry, ransack

I would also argue that the “generic” combat cards of many euro civs often have the opposite problem, of it seemingly to have universal effects when it does not.

like how the german cav combat card only affects the german cav

and how dutch infantry combat only affects units that dutch can train from the barracks

port dragoon combat used to (until today) also affected hussars, port also had their most powerful upgrade (genetiours) being a reference card as well

so to me the name of the cards don’t matter as much since their effects has always been have to be read in the fine print, you can’t rely on the names to tell you what it actually does.

arguably some of these changes actully incentivises you to read the cards you are sending

I think visual design is much more important so you can identify what you are sending

And when the card is sent the message is often just the effects anyway

The more specific European cards also kinda levels the playing field. The Natives and Asians only ever had very specific cards while Europeans have cards that buff all units of a certain type. If those become more specific, that disparity is removed.

To the OP: GREAT POST.

They should hire you.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the case, but for players who like history, the developer does this to increase the player’s sense of historical substitution.
For new players: the intuitiveness of the name never seems to affect whether they use it or not, because they don’t necessarily understand what is written.
For old players: At least I personally never remember the name of the card deliberately most of the time, usually just look at the effect and icon…

17 Likes

I disagree, I love all the more historically accurate changes. They still have a few spelling mishaps here and there, like Janissary is still not corrected to Yeniçeri, but I’ve always said the Ottoman units in Turkish anyways, like the Chinese units. I think this is a step in the right direction, since it brings more uniqueness to the civs. I hate AOE2, I hate how EVERYONE shares the same units, like China doesn’t have a “champion”, anymore than they a knight. Now I get that was just due to technical limitations, but I hate the generic musketeer that everyone seems to share. I am glad France got some flavor to theirs and I am glad the Germans finally got something musketeer-like, the Landwehr.

14 Likes

I completely disagree with OP. I love that the devs have slowly been bringing more flavor text and names to the game.

The diversity and uniqueness of names and units adds a lot of historical engagement.

I love the cards or unique church upgrades that send me units with a unique name, e.g. Blue Guard for the Dutch. It is so cool to get special units with their own unique names, it is the little details like this that make the game fun. I don’t think it adds much confusion or complexity… the units look just like any other Musketeer.

I dislike how generic and uninspired AOE4 names are. Horseman → Veteran Horseman → Elite Horseman.

Yes, it is impossible to understand every unit, and every civ and every interaction. But like others have pointed out, you don’t have too. I see a random unit coming at me on a horse with a sword, I can safely assume they are Heavy Cav. You could argue this complexity hurts the competitiveness of the game, but I believe people need to relax and have fun instead of trying to squeeze out all the fun for the sake of competitive play.

I don’t mean this in a toxic way, but if you want a more streamlined experience with less unit variety, AOE2 or AOE4 would be better fits. And as people have pointed out AOE2 isn’t any less complex, the complexity is just less obvious. And IMO, less fun.

27 Likes

Yes well said. I’ve been playing since the original and for the most part have given up on keeping up with it. Way too much work. I just play the same simple civ and get what enjoyment that I can from it. I can’t imagine starting this game and the investment it takes. Even Kaiserklein gave up trying to stay current.

The game is fantastic rich, truly the best RTS in depth. However, that depth insures it’s niche status.

6 Likes

I play this game because I like history.
Making use of historically related units/techs is already a big fun for me.
If I want to play a competitive and straightforward game there are far better options. There is even such a game right next to us with “additional torches” and “extra materials” (BTW can anyone tell what the latter does by just looking at the name?).

6 Likes

Some units can have easier names like Humbaracy grenadiers instead just humbaracy

Humbaracı means grenadiers in English so there is no wrong to name them as just Humbaracı.

1 Like

There are more languages than English. And Im sure than most people dont know that it means grenadier

1 Like

You can see unit description. If ı dont know the unit, I look that. Many unit have their orginal name, which is cool feature, you cant want every unit English name. Also ıf you are some curious like me, you can also google what means original name.

5 Likes

I do that too, but again it CAN be easier for new/casual players.

The best example are the aztecs, How many people asked for eagle runners??

Also if you have any civ as main, you automaticly knows what unit what does when you play too often. You should know unit tags: heavy inf, light inf, light cav, heavy cav, ranged inf cav.

Maybe an option that could be check to show “easy” card names mode, taking Cavalry hitpoints, Team cheap churches and all this stuff back

2 Likes