Evolve or die: AoE should copy Forza to grow

What you mention already does AoE Online with seasonal events,whether summer,halloween or Christmas,where you can customize your capital with the objects obtained during those events,in addition to being able to do cooperative missions based on those events;for example those of the ice king in the Christmas event…

1 Like

In fact the decks and homecities took it out of Might and Magic 3…

Every Vil down in Marion likes Winter a lot.
But the Ice King who lives just North of Marion does not!

Thanks for clarifying. I can see what you mean in a very general sense, but designing something like that at a detailed level would be a big challenge. It would need to re-use a lot of existing code and data (otherwise why bother making it part of an AoE game), and would need to conceptually fit in with what AoE is all about. For example, suppose you had a kind of casual shared open world like FH4/5 have. In FH they have car collisions disabled so players can’t grief other players. In AoE, if you had a similar casual shared open world, I’d see it as challenging to define what exactly players can do such that it’s something they want to play, fits in AoE, but they can’t grief other players.

Also, I’m not sure just how popular FH really is. I know they boast huge player numbers, but anyone with game pass can install the game, run it up, and they become part of that count of all people who have ever played the game. I feel that to some extent the game serves as a tech demo / graphical showcase. Ranked multiplayer in FH4 was absolutely dead later in its life, they pretty much eliminated skill-based matchmaking to allow people to find a ranked lobby in any sort of reasonable timeframe, so you had huge rating differences in ranked lobbies. My interpretation of it was that the people in my lobbies had to be the entirety of people who were queuing ranked at that time, there wouldn’t be any other reason to put those people in the same ranked lobby with such huge rating differences.

1 Like

4chan is popular and immersive. Why not just get 4chan to add a link to aoe4 and there you go, you have a popular and immersive palace of cultural significance that leads into the actual game.

I only started playing FH4 towards the end of its life so I certainly know about a lot of those frustrations lol. But all of those details are finer points that can be dealt with when the time comes. Nothing insurmountable. The practical issue, as you say, is that my suggestion would require the building of an entirely new, and very large, component to the game, and is therefore an investment that would never be made. I’m not under any illusions about that. With this thread I was more curious to see if other people could see the same vision that I see. Seems like it’s not such a popular idea though. Oh well!

And yeah, the sales numbers are always hard to guess. That said, I did provide a link to wikipedia which says FH4 is by far the highest selling XBox One game, not just for Forza titles, but for ALL games. Also the more important comparison is how it stacks up to other Forza games, and it stacks well, with roughly 5x more sales than the highest selling Forza Motorsport title. If Relic could say for sure that they’d be making 5x more money by making an investment into a new element into the game, only a CEO that intends to get fired would say “no”.

The first step to AOE Verse.