Extreme AI doesn't resign after pop drops to 0

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 47820
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Normally the AI would resign when population is significantly behind. But in this game the AI refuses to resign for 5 or 10 min when its pop is 0. It only resigns after I almost defeat it.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

was this a custom scenario? i noticed the ai never resigns in those

No. It’s an RM on Crater, a newly introduced map.

I’m okay with this, particularly if the “104 - Don’t Resign” is/was activated. Did you activate that? Just curious.

Although it’s probably true that they can’t or won’t produce more units in your game there at that point even if they have the resources for it (sometimes I wonder if they can afford it or could convert resources via Marketplace, but just aren’t programmed to crank out another villager to try… like they’ve given up), I guess my thought would be… ‘what if they could afford another villager to get things going again?’ I’d want them to try to come back. As well, if they have a Market to trade with ally, or get resources from ally, or trade with you (technically feasible), in that sense they’re not completely gone. Or if they don’t have a Town Center, then yeah, military only until they can’t or you get rid of all their buildings, is my preference

Sometimes the AI wastes resources on military units when practically all is lost and it’s clear that strategy isn’t or hasn’t been working. I wish they would start thinking about making villagers to try and grow their econ again. As a Single or Mutliplayer vs. AI, typically, I enjoy them not resigning until I’m done. And sometimes I’ve wiped them out mostly and wanted them to stage a come back under my watchful eye, but they keep wasting resources on military instead of villagers.

1 Like

No, I 105ed actually :sweat_smile:

Normally AI would exhaust all resources producing anything possible. I haven’t checked the rec tho.

Yeah this should be something not too hard to program. Like prioritize villager production when resources are low or pop is significantly behind. Actually I want this to happen mostly on my allies when I play campaigns.

1 Like

I think the game could benefit by having more customization regarding what ‘you’ (the player) would like as the AI’s moment to resign.

I prefer that they don’t resign, while others are okay with early resignation. And the 104 and 105 commands don’t always work too well, as you witnessed :wink:

A sliding scale ranging from “will resign at the drop of a hat” to “will not resign and won’t be defeated until all units and buildings are gone” could be made

Or, choose via a drop-down… “AI Resignation Algorithm”:

• Classic (no changes)
  • Random - Could be any setting from this list except for the extreme one at bottom of list
  • All villagers gone
  • All units gone
  • All buildings gone
  • All units and buildings gone (not including walls)
  • All units, buildings, and walls gone - This would be more of a hardcore way of doing it, but I could see a handful of people maybe wanting this. I might choose it from time to time

And a checkbox toggle could be next to that saying, " + no way to build more (e.g,. out of resources, no villagers left, and no Market to get enough resources to build more villagers)"

• The 104 and 105 chat commands would probably need to override this selection and function as one expects them to (as long as the commands get fixed in a patch someday)
1 Like

Haha, I had the exact same thing once. I 105’d the Ai and he refused to resign. I actually defeated him. I thought it was AI punishing BM.

1 Like

Last day I was playing a skirmish on Coastal vs AI (dunno which difficulty but NOT extreme). I activated the catzor cheat code to get the achievement. AI never resigned, 0 pop, had to destroy all production buildings.

I play against the AI a lot, and have never experienced this situation on normal games where no cheat codes are applied. The only time I’ve seen this was with catzor, where the TC had to be taken down for the game to end.

I recommend that you try to figure out reproduction steps. Since you claim that the problem happens 100% of the time for you, this might be an easy task for you. It might be your choice of game settings.