Farms should have different crops

In the last stream they mentioned that the Chinese do have rice fields, so maybe there are more variations!

See 25:42:

It’s really strange not seeing this carried forward in the franchise. Such a nice detail overlooked.

It’s also a lot of immersive fun having each civ grow two unique, appropriate crops.

3 Likes

It’s truly negligible work to add crops, at least it is for AoEO. I suppose everything adds up, but these details matter.

I assume, but do not know, that this detail is missing because the devs aren’t aware of farms in AoEO growing unique crops, or they are aware but don’t think it’s something we’d notice or miss. It’s stuff like this that makes me sad and feel like we aren’t the target audience.

3 Likes

it’s already there, see the china vs french, china grows rice.

1 Like

I know of the rice. But is that it, yes?

1 Like

Yeah all the fields were rice which is cool but it’s no more advanced than age of empires 3. I think that all they had to do to make rice would be to take wheat and then recolor the stalk green instead of yellow since all the plants are shown in their mature stage.

The opinion that China mainly grew rice is a totally MISTAKE.
Here is the crops grew in China:
WHEAT:
wheat
CORN:
corn
and RICE:
rice
Wheat is more important than rice in northern China.
Besides, rice almost grows in paddy field unlike wheat can grow everywhere.

3 Likes

Its possible that with the farms, because villagers actually carry off the wheat/rice and you can see it visibly, that its part code as well. This would make it a bit harder to have distinct crops. I think the ones in AOEO are static and do not have that kind of animation. (its been a few weeks since I last played, so I could be wrong!)

:smiley:

When was this chart made? In the modern bandit occupied mainland china?

is “Corn” Maize by chance? That would be grown for processing into high fructose corn syrup or animal feed.

I never said the Chinese shouldn’t have wheat as well as rice. It is just because different crops grow better in different regions. That’s why in Northern Germany for instance there is a lot of Rye.

True they would have to develop new animations for anything other than grains but they could still introduce many varieties of grains

The only true grains here that weren’t cultivated in the AOE4 timeframe are the Triticale and Wild Rice which are modern inventions.

Maize is a new world crop, I believe

Yeah so in the AOE4 time period it wouldn’t be a staple crop in china.

Corn has multiple meanings but in American English it is used to refer to Maize but in British English they could be using “Corn” to refer to any grain other than Wheat or Rice. Although wheat and rice are also corn under British English.

1 Like

LOL, u ever ate Chinese dumplings, baozi, noodle and spring pancake? Or at least thin pancake to roll roast duck?
All these meal can prove that wheat in China has a long history. U doubt the truth through the chart shows your “intelligent”.

Yes, Caesar refers to corn in Gaul, and it takes a little explaining to unpack what on earth he was talking about. I was confused until I read the footnotes.

You need to calm down. I already said the Chinese should have rice and wheat all the way back in my original post.

I believe the point is that unique crops are just another lost opportunity to create more immersive civs.as if its not enough for everyone to have the same units and buildings and techs. They need the same food, too.

2 Likes

Lol - this all reads like satire. This is an RTS game, not farm simulator. And people wonder why the devs don’t hang out here much with this degree of insane nitpicking…

2 Likes

I am a massive AOE4 fan I think they did a phenomenal job on the atmosphere of the game which is why I gave this small recommendation.

It’s not nitpicking if it’s existing features in this franchise. I don’t expect players of earlier games to expect features they don’t know about. But I expect the developers to know about them.

And obviously nobody plays other games for the unique crops or the animated buildings or the millions of other specific details missing in AoE4. But they do add up.

4 Likes

Taking the words out of my mouth.