Feudal counter to MAA? Make counter available in Feudal or remove this crap!

If you can not beat Age II HRE MAA with French Knight, sorry to say that, but it is your own fault.

As French, simply go to Age II and harass HRE gold. Avoid close combat and utilize your mobility to kill their workers. Scout and deny their out-of-base mills for food. HRE will run out of food very soon. At the same time, your workers are in no danger.

You will be in advance both in resources and military, it is quite easy…

I play 2v2s. Usually go for 2nd TC if we are not committing. 3 TCs against passive eco civs in closed maps to take them in late game such as hre + any other civ. I had hard time countering a lot of pushes but I have learned to repel most. In 2v2s if you are playing as french you will always be target of getting raided as its easy to bully french. They dont have MAA. Knights are not good at defending and isolate their gold and they cant have knights.

Usually I play 2 stable and knight production and stay in age 2 for long time if we are going to do aggression. And doing 2 TC against any non-mma non-cav civ i go 2 TC into double archery range and full archers as they expect you to make knghts. Few knights if they are not making spears. If both civs are very passive I go 3 TC. Let HRE take relics and as he reaches Age 4 usually I have mass to take them down.

Add Crossbows.
or Need Remove MMA from Dark/Feudal age.

Don’t balance since add MMA to Feudal age.

That Logic = Balance.

I have no issue with unit being there. I have issue with armor it has. Why royal knights have lesser armor than feudal maa. I would be much happier if they add crossbow placement in feudal for towers. Arrows are joke against MAA and you don’t have any good counter unit. Its like giving one civ access to knights and not having any way to make spears. HEY YOU CAN KILL KNIGHT WITH 60 ARCHER HITS YEAAAA

They have literally the same armor while Royal Knight has double the attack, a lot more HP, and a hell of a lot more movement speed to the point you could just charge-pull back-charge-pull back-charge-repeat if you really wanted to. Like if you refuse to even look at everything that’s been told to you so far then

Lmao

Git gud.

I told you I play 2v2. It might work on 1v1 because you have one player to focus. In 2v2 you are expected to counter 1.5x of opponent army. In you are using right counters it works and your teammate can backup while you hold. I would like relic to add crossbow placement available in feudal age.

This topic in general sounds like a build order issue. If the macro is well rounded, the overall combat potential will be superior in every way in comparison with an English/HRE army with a bunch of Feudal men-at-arms.

Just a hypothesis, right? Not dismissing your skills.

I’m just looking for a lead here, since HRE and French are the civs I play the most. And, having seen both sides of the story, I’ve never been in this situation against MAA.

Oh i see, I though you were mainly talking about 1v1. I do play teams too though. It seems lile you have a nice build and strat. I personally dont like adding 2 tc too early, 3tc even less though. I used to do it before but now i dont even do it on teams. Reason is you will be short on food and stuck on feudal for a very long time because since your vills train faster you will actually be spending more food than other civs, even more if u do 3tc, so maa rush will definitely counter that kinda of build quite hard, specially because you wont have the ressources to consistently train knights and train vills from 2tc at the same time.
Best way to play french at least imo is to go 1 base and harass since french usually have the aggro role in teams. You can go pro scouts for the eco boost which will give you a huge food income spike early and you will be qble to spam royal knights and add a 2nd tc in castle age if you want to go eco as later on you can afford it. I personally like to go heavy on trade if i want to transition to eco on team games.

They dont, knights and maa have the same base armor, HRE gets cheaper armor upgrades from the minework palace so they will just get them much earlier than you.

Specially in teams i prefer much dealing with hre maa rush than dealing with their fast imperial with the 3 relics+the printer.

There are a few facts I want to establish:

1)Knights (soft) counter MAA (They trade cost-effectively vs MAA)

1. Feudal MAA are nearly never seen at the pro level, especially vs civs with feudal knights

You can test, 10 (generic) knights vs 20 (generic) maa - an equal resources fight - will result in the knights easily winning. This is, of course, not true once HRE MAA research Heavy Maces - the MAA will destroy knights then - but you;re complaining about feudal MAA, and Heavy Maces is a castle age upgrade. So as long as your armies have similar resources invested into them, your knights will beat his maa.

If he’s mixing in spears, well then it’s not the maa your knights are losing too, right? It;'s the spears. And you do the same thing as the common Knight/Archer vs Spear/Horseman - you focus fire the spears with your archers, instead of letting them hit the horsemen/MAA. That’s basic micro that you should be expected to have.

And I see that you mainly play 2v2. Well agian, that’s not an issue with MAA, but an issue with 2v2. You need to coordinate with your ally if your opponents are coordinating. If they attack you with two armies, expecting to sucessfully defend with just one army is unrealistic, no matter what the compositions are.

Finally, the call to add crossbows to feudal is stupid. Adding crossbows into feudal would hurt French and Rus, with early knights, much more than it would hurt HRE and English with early MAA. As a China main, yes, please, give me crossbows so I can gun down the Royal Knights running through my base please.

3 Likes