Few custom campaigns in English lately

I’ve noticed that, in recent months, very few custom campaigns have been released in English (and none in my native language, Portuguese), at least in the list of campaigns that can be downloaded within the game’s mods section. The vast majority of campaigns that have been launched lately are in Chinese or are simply co-op versions of existing campaigns.
Why does it seem like most English-speaking campaign designers are no longer excited about creating new custom campaigns for AOE2DE?

To me it seems they keep making them.
I’ve recently seen a Majorian campaign being released and soon a new Roman one by Manu is coming.

By the end of the year I’m gonna upload my new one where you play as Berbers.
In the meanwhile I published “Constantinople the end of the ancient world” and “adrianople great battles of late antiquity” if you missed them, both in English.

7 Likes

I don’t have statistics about the frequency compared to earlier, but the sheer amount of non-English language campaigns (mainly Chinese) may make it seem like there are fewer English language ones in comparison. There are still lots of campaigns to choose from though.

I published my first scenario “Valdemar - The Bloodfeast of Roskilde” last month. That’s a standalone scenario for now, but I’m working on a short campaign containing that and two other scenarios, and then probably more campaigns later.

But it takes time to make a good scenario/campaign and eliminate or work around all the bugs that plague the scenario editor currently.
This year has seen new bugs appearing after almost every game update, which has definitely slowed down the process for me.

5 Likes

Yeah, people are still making them, but the prevalence of bugs has surely had a chilling effect. For me personally, the persistence of a lot of the bugs has been pretty demoralizing and for quite a few months I’ve shelved my projects in favor of more straightforwardly rewarding endeavors. Although I’ve been revisiting one of them recently & after a few workarounds should have it out later this month.

To be frank, I’m a little surprised that people have still been putting campaigns out as much as they have, so good for those who have persisted through the subpar state of the Editor and low responsiveness of the devs.

I’m also going to take this opportunity to once again point out that there’s been an extreme scarcity of new assets in the last year and a half since DOI, and I’d be surprised if that didn’t contribute somewhat to the (apparent) lack of new campaigns - without new units, objects, buildings, etc, creators are less likely to portray events in areas of the world that aren’t already heavily covered - or if they do, they’ll be forced to settle for poor visual representations of those regions and events.

4 Likes

That’s on my to do list.

Which one did you make? Maybe I already played them since I played many.

That’s passion! Which can be the most frustrating thing to have in the world when it’s not paired with responsiveness and ehm solving bugs (can you hear me Devs?) Lol

That’s why I’m also in favour of new content and civs even if that’s the opposite of what competitive players want. It’s also a quite conservative fanbase tbh.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean everyone stopped creating campaigns, but rather that it seems that fewer people who speak English are launching new ones. Your campaigns are very welcome at this time when there are few new developments in this field for those who don’t understand Chinese. Thank you very much for your campaigns!

1 Like

My English is B2 so not super good but I think it delivers the point. It’s a bit of a shame since my campaigns are very plot driven and dialogue heavy so writing in my mother tongue would have another effect. I found out one of my scenarii, adrianople, has been translated into Chinese. Custom content seems to be big in China.

5 Likes

I’m very close to finishing a new campaign myself, based in Medieval England.

6 Likes

TBF I don’t have any active content on the Workshop right now. Uploaded a couple standalone scenarios last year, but took them down pretty quickly due to Editor bugs. Which was probably an overreaction, but I didn’t see the point of them being there when essential features didn’t work anymore & didn’t want to have content that might provide a poor experience. But I’m bugproofing & updating some of them & should have at least one resubmitted this month, called Waves Against the Mountain.

3 Likes

You look like a perfectionist but I can tell you from experience that campaigns are always buggy no matter what you do. In the end people are not paying them so the important is to be ready to update them quite often when players report new bugs. Given the constant updates of the game it’s nearly impossible to have total control over it. So again all you can do is just to correct bugs as they come up. My campaigns are 2.3 versions and still new bugs keep being discovered… also it’s hard to imagine how all players will play a scenario, often what leads to bugs is that people play in a way you didn’t plan.
What’s Waves against the mountain about if I can ask?

4 Likes

I downloaded both of them, I just need some time to get to them.

Thank you for creating them

1 Like

Please let us know when you upload them.:smiley:

1 Like

That’s on my to do list.

Great to hear! And I have your campaigns on my to do list as well!
This year I’ve spent most of my time in the game working on my own scenario, so it’s been a while since I’ve properly played through anyone else’s campaigns. But I’ll make sure to spend some of my next gaming days playing your and others’ campaigns.

1 Like

Uploaded it just now. Good luck with it, some of the mechanics can cause fustration!

6 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it.

1 Like

The problem with chinese is the need for translation. I remember vanilla aok/aoc had a lot of german stuff. This game is amazing with all these editor capabilities

I’m still redoing the Blood campaign from AoE 3 in 2 HD and 2 DE, then I would go for the Chinese campaign (although I think someone already did it in 2 DE) and the historical battles from 3 DE set in the 16th century (Algiers, Christobal Da Gama Expedition, Battle of the Three Kings, Chuvash Cape and Raid on the Caribbean)

1 Like

Hi, I’m playing it now :smiley: Can you give me the link to the English custom tech tree please?

1 Like

Sure, It’s on the mod page but I’ll send it to you here too English Civ - Google Sheets

1 Like

Why don’t anyone try Bayan Temur CAMPAIGN? A wonderful English campaign. Search for Bayan Temur in the mod screen,and you will cost a best afternoon and night! Try it,man!

1 Like