Finally good Infos on what happened with the Aoe4 developement ( by Likador)

eso lo se colega, era solo un decir (en una publicación de hace varios días dije que su hubiesen pedido ayuda a tantalus y a forgotten podrian haber terminado mucho mejor el age 4, pero acosta de sacrificar actualizaciones y contenido para el age 3 y 2.

Pero trato de decir que pudieron haber hecho que otro grupo se hubiera encargado del desarrollo, solo espero que si dejan el editor de escenarios, permitan a la comunidad hacer algunas actualizaciones, como lo hicieron los de valve con team fortress 2 años atrás, pero solo esto es lo que me gustaría no lo que ocurriría.

Absolutely. The best thing that can happen to AOE now is for Relic to abandon AOE as quickly as possible and never touch anything AOE again and let AOE IV be forgotten and have Forgotten Empires make AOM: DE next. And thankfully it looks like that is what we are on course to have happen.

3 Likes

It’s always weird to see someone actively hoping for a game in a series they enjoy to fail/be abandoned. :\

Isn’t it great that there are 4 actively developed and supported Age games that all offer a different flavor of Age of Empires?

5 Likes

I don’t consider AOE IV to be an age of empires game, other than the name, and I think it could drive more players away from AOE since they think AOE IV is an age of empires game, when, in my opinion, there is actually very little in common. The developers were completely different, so it is no surprise the game is also.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it isn’t an AoE game it’s just not as good as the others. Basically AoE 4 is a very lazy and fairly boring game, there is nothing innovative about the game. Even putting it back in the Middle Ages was just lazy, they did that because AoE 2 is popular except AoE 2 is a better game. I still play AoE 4 from time to time but mostly I stick to playing AoE 3 de

4 Likes

Let’s see what state the game is at on its one-year anniversary and after some DLC. I do think AoEIV has a place in the AoE family. Neither AoEIIIDE or AoEIIDE have suffered a decrease in player count because of AoEIV so there’s plenty of room for people to enjoy their respective game.

I’d be utterly disappointed if AoEIV is the main focus at the determent of the other games which hasn’t been the case so far. I’m quite grateful for that.

3 Likes

We’ll see where the game is at it’s anniversary. The main problem is that they need better balance and unit counter system. But I am glad that they made the definitive editions as a way to hype AoE 4 because they did a good job with them. AoE 3 de is my favorite but AoE 2 de they did amazing job with updating the graphics but keeping the same feel to the game

3 Likes

3 different games

Aoe1 is abandoned

Even with the flaws, would not say to let abandon Aoe4. They created the monster and will tame it :joy:

1 Like

to be fair they are both a disaster at this point. it just blizzard is slighty better for being no longer activion and more ms.

All DEs are a real treat, all had rocky launches but post-launch support has been absolutely solid and now these games (at least 2 and 3, 1 is so archaic there’s not much that can be done going forward) offer a much more polished experience with a LOT more content. These are classic games, but updates, events etc. are so regular that on some level they feel like one foot in a ‘live service game’ area.

It was so weird to hear 2DE/3DE are getting new civs, maps, campaigns.

4 Likes

How can a game be abandoned? These are not MMOs.
Did they promise a few years of new content after launch?

They released a lot of patches, it wasn’t abandoned. Very few people play it, why would they focus resources on 1DE?

2 Likes

Well, the quickest way to end a war is lose. Even with the high price and lacking features, they will sail or sink with this until the very end. Asking to give the game to another devs is almost like Ivaylo desperately trying to get Nogai help to help his people to stay alive.
Even Aoe Online is part of the family and not the ugly duck of it.

I personally wouldn’t call it lazy. Safe? Sure. It came out a little over 10 years since the last PC release of a new game in the series and 24 since the first. That’s a lot of time to wait for a new game, and a lot of different ideas of what someone would want out of a new Age game. But at least my experience interacting with some of the Devs, they sure seem to care a lot to me.

I’m also very glad they made those. Even if they also had some rough launches. It’s great to see the support and new content those games are getting. At least 2 DE and 3 DE.

I was actually referring to Project Celeste and the great work that the team has been doing on AoE Online for the 4th! Really looking forward to the Indians.

3 Likes

The game almost see no light after all code issues they had 5 years ago to fix it. At least Aoe1 got many reworked scenarios and campaigns, not forgetting about the welcoming QoL. The balance was good and many pathfinding and hitboxes problems are most solved. The game deserved a farewell dlc but people above devs don’t want them anymore focusing on it

But yeah, I enjoy the game as it is now, and I’m excited to see where AoE 4 and the Franchise as a whole goes from here.

2 Likes

Sure, the game had potential and Celeste exploit it even further (even with me disagreeing with many quests balance regarding more legendary quest players than common folks).
Aoe 4 lack the “gear” that keep you entertained to improve your troops outside the quests

If this game finally thrives and get out of this sea of uncertainty, hope that every civ get its own campaign. Without cinematics too.

I disagree with your reference. This is not merely an argument from authority but an expert opinion (at least an alleged expert). For example I’m allegedly an electrical engineer if i were to look at a circuit and said “this board is not gonna work. I’m an EE”

I’ve substantiated my claim on the basis of my expertise, i SHOULD know!!

1 Like

I’ve never understood how Relic could be working on two AAA RTS’s at the same time.

now the answer is clear: they dont. only favor 1 but do the other one just good enough

5 Likes

The problem here being nobody has looked at any circuit. The data layer exposed as XML via the Content Creator is not the circuitry. As someone who’s played around with the mod tools a fair bit during the PUP, I feel confident in this expert opinion of my own.

They’re saying they’re right because they’re a software developer. I could say the same thing, except my opinion is substantially different. Who’s right? Who’s wrong? This is the inherent problem with an appeal to authority, because it doesn’t evidence the argument in any substantial way.

They have done for years. They were working on Company of Heroes when they were also working on Dawn of War (and its expansions). The only DoW expansion that was done out-of-house was Soulstorm, and Relic still picked up the post-release support for the title. CoH would’ve been in-progress for most of the time DoW was released.

The same went for CoH 2 and DoW II, and they also shipped Space Marine around the same time.

People see what they want to see.

5 Likes