First Reviews Are In

I haven’t played since the beta, but imo it needs some fun. Like a “Where’s my Banner” cheat code for Joan of Arc. Heck AoE 2 had Texas either in the original or expansion (I can’t remember which one), AoE 4 has great history, but would be awesome if it had a silly part too. Kinda like that teacher who you learned the most from but they were really fun.

Yeah. Fun is the most important aspect for a game.

3 Likes

It’s tempting to bang on about the history of Age Of Empires, but let’s be real here, you already know it well enough.

Wow, what a terrible way to start the review. I’m sure there are some people in the author’s audience that haven’t played AOE before and don’t know much about the previous games. And it feels a bit of an excitement-killer. Here I go again, “banging on” about another game for another review. Another day, another dollar. Ok I am not British and “bang on” feels like a British figure of speech so possibly I am not interpreting correctly.

At least the author gives a tiny bit of excitement later - “And I kinda like it”. And it was pretty positive at the end, so that’s good for the game.

Fundamentally, the best I can say is that I enjoyed it more the better I got, I got steadily better the more I played, and I don’t see myself stopping any time soon.

Also why do people say “factions” so much? Is that from another game? To me, “faction” means a subset of a larger group. But in AOE games, these aren’t parts of a larger group - they are separate and fighting each other. I thought “civ” (civilization) was normally the word used.