French Civ Rework

France is fine as generic - its armies were the ‘standard’ for some time, with other Euro civs emulating them.

Canada should be kept, though maybe (as a Euro-wide thing) Revolt should be rephrased as Declare Independence as it would cover the more ‘peaceful’ independence movements as well as complete revolutions.

I also like the idea of Canadian soldiers for France, though to avoid the oddness of playing the French on a Euro map and using Canadians, maybe they should be shipment-only.

You can play the Aztecs and fight Tokugawa in the Mediterranean. I don’t think this is relevant.

2 Likes

Introduced in mid 1700s

Introduced in 1500s

By Napoleonic i mean anything French Republic or French Empire related

how about no (20 characters)

2 Likes

But why? And the Gribeauval cannons and Gendarmes are only notable because of their use in the Napoleonic era.

They would still be relevant before Napoleon. I just can’t see how it will be worse off from your perspective. These things will remain untouched.

In order to continue having references to the colonies. But also because it would be much better to have it as a revolt instead. And you would get a new napoleon hero unit after revolting.

Also King’s Musketeers existed in the Republic and Empire so that’s why they are unchanged after revolting. But you still get Voltigeurs and Napoleon. So you clearly still have Napoleonic french things included

In any case our brains are viewing this entirely differently it seems, so it’s useless to try discuss it, right?

Why suddenly everyone want a piece of a civ to rework?

I do agree French is “boring” but they are boring because they are vanilla. They are standard. They are meant to be easy, friendly and well rounded. And that’s okay.

4 Likes

Okay for you but seeing how different devs can create new civs now, they really have to rework all the old european civs.
Nearly all new civs so far all have unique units, with a few unique buildings, while all of the old europeans mostly share all techs/units/buildings.

To be more authentic and give more diversity between civs

2 Likes

They don’t man. Why should they?
France is the most well-rounded and balanced civ. We don’t need to overcomplicate things to make them better.

I welcome any new cards, politicians, mercenaries and card tweaks to the french. Reworking them for vanity is a tad too much.

They are quite authentic because they are already different of others. They are vanilla, they don’t have gimmicks. Therefore they are already inside the “diversity” because they are simple.

7 Likes

Ever heard of the Acadian Civil War? How about the rebellions of 1837? Although the in-game Canada revolution is clearly based on the 1870 Red River/1885 North-West rebellions with the Métis settlers, but still both French and British had revolts during their time in Canada well within the game’s timespam.

4 Likes

You might as well as remove following revolting options: USA as Italy. Hungary for Russia, and Malta
Brazil for Italians and Dutch, Egypt for Britain, Peru for Portugal, Argentina for Italians… ect

still I take comfort that there is 0% of chance that any of this wild dream would ever happen.

1 Like

Most of my changes are literally just flavors and you are still so hard done by it all :thinking:

All those places actually revolted, so don’t be silly

How about no.

Seriously, France is fine in their current state. Most they could use is some extra flavour in new cards and such, but the civ functions perfectly well in both casual and competitive. Jack of all trades, master of none, good late game.

Adding several cards to add onto the theme, and perhaps a French Revolution mechanic could be interesting, since they won’t necessarily eat into what makes France France.

Trying to overhaul the civ into a Franco-Canadien/Haitien/Francien Frankenstein’s monster is definitely not the way to go.

Most i would suggest is adding Napoleon as a Hero as an Age 5 politician option, who buffs artillery a lot. Reasons are obvious, and would make for extremely fun casual and late game competitive matches.

2 Likes

“how about no” and then continues to say that flavor and some new cards will be good, a new republic revolution will be good, a Napoleon hero will be good, just seethes over a new skirmisher :joy:

Did you bother reading a ■■■■■■■ thing i even wrote, apart from the first sentence? Because all you’ve asked for is literally what I’m wanting

Except there were revolts:

Rebellion of 1837

Northwest Rebellion

Red River Rebellion

If anything, the Revolt system should be reworked across the board, but specifically in the case of Canada to better reflect these events.

Generally I’m pretty skeptical of the idea of proposing thorough reworks for core civilizations (original packaged game and the official expansions), for any of the Age games. I think people began to run away with the idea of remaking civilizations based on India to Hindustanis rework from Dynasties of India, and think many original game civilizations should get that treatment too. Of course, the AoE2 Indians were the product of a mod which then got polished, accepted to official status, and then minted as an official expansion after over a decade since AoE2’s last installment. There is something more sacred behind the original, official civilizations: people have played them for decades for good reasons. If you transform them too significantly, you ruin a lot of the nostalgia which the Definitive Editions were designed to revolve around.

But the main point people keep saying is a revolt and independence. A rebellion but no independence wouldn’t change anything

Most of my changes won’t do much, apart from flavor. The only real game changing thing would be the points 14, 16, 17 and 18. The rest are not game breaking changes that would completely ruin nostalgia

Regarding the French update, the only one I’m explicitly eager to see at the moment is to make settlers (especially female settlers) accessible.

Aside from giving French civilization a more distinct colonial flavor, a revolt option based on the French Revolution would also be nice. This will swap the Bourbon flag for a tricolor and provide some units and cards with more Napoleonic-era flavor, like Jacobins and the like.

2 Likes

my only solution is too allow building both,