Game crashed to desktop

Verified my game integrity, it fixed 2 files so I thought i’d try again today.
First game crashed to desktop, no errors, about 30 minutes into the game. :angry: :fire:
I don’t know how else anyone here can help with this if there is no error reporting to begin with.

There is no “age2_x1” folder in “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local”
There is nothing new in the event viewer.
I verified my game integrity again, no errors.
In the “Users\UserName\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” folder is:
a “Main.txt” file that is 0 KB file size apparently created at launch or last successful close.
a “SlowLog_2020.01.01-1749.45.txt” file in a “Slowlog” folder. The file only reads “SlowLog Created”
a “2019.12.25-14.10.24.txt” file created last week. I will attach this and my dxdiag…:roll_eyes:
2019.12.25-14.10.24.txt (6.9 KB)
DxDiag.txt (76.9 KB)
oh, and this is potentially interesting…
I left task manager running this time.

That spike in the gpu…
I’m guessing that is the moment it freezes, and the memory drop is the moment the game disappears.
No, that can’t be, that time span is 54 seconds in the screenshot.
When the game freezes it crashes to desktop in less than 4 seconds… bizarre, I guess I’m crashed a whole minute before I even realize it.

1 Like

Just wanted to boost this topic because this is the biggest problem I’ve experienced as well. This needs to be fixed urgently. I’m on the latest build (Hotfix 34223) and my game randomly freezes and exits straight to Desktop with no errors once every 2-3 games or so. It is so demotivating and frustrating when your game crashes every other game. Sometimes I’m just about to win and it crashes. Please fix this.

My Specs:

• Intel i7-6500U Processor
  • 12 GB of RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce 940M Discrete Graphics card

Event Viewer info about the crash:

Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34223.0, time stamp: 0x5dfb2884
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006db8e
Faulting process id: 0x187c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c1d9be753c6c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 2e96576c-f87c-4336-ba99-8e60cd3cdcfe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Surprisingly, the Main.txt file in the log folder was empty for today.

When i launched from the exe instead of steam, it still happened. crashed to desktop no errors, only i found this in event viewer this time.

Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34223.0, time stamp: 0x5dfb2884
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720
Faulting process id: 0x1e74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c1f413238af0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 40548af9-7856-452a-a27a-c44e158b4cad

Ours are quite similar.

.https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe2de-hotfix-34223/

.https://steamcommunity.com/app/813780/discussions/0/2626094171908672326/

.https://steamcommunity.com/app/813780/discussions/2/2626094424138465862/

Is anyone NOT having this problem?
Error might only show in event viewer if you launch the exe directly instead of from steam.

3 Likes

I add up to the huge list of players unable to PLAY this game.
I payed 20€ and wasted countless hours because of your unprofessionalism.
I will not bother posting the error log because the devs aren’t answering anyway.
Tried without UHD, same problem.
Tried increasing pagefile, no more crash, but freezes at the same frequency (sound but image stuck).
All drivers updated, w10 up to date, no firewall/antivirus etc.

This is unacceptable!

1 Like

I’ve always started from steam and i have gotten the same error. Usually in multiplayer team games and often just after advancing to the next age for some reason. Games vs the AI are fine and have not had any issues with 1v1 - I can lose those just fine 11.

E.g. Castle age would finish researching. The game would hang for 1-2 seconds and then crash to desktop.

Error message involves ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387. Windows 10 1909. UHD off.

I have version 101.101.34223.0 4509956 and on steam as well.
This happens to me too.It crashes a lot.

This is still an issue. Game crashes with no error or anything at all, just suddenly back to desktop as if I never was playing AoE2. Get on fixing this and add a reconnect option please.

Is it specific to certain MP maps, like in this case Team Islands?

Could you try updating your VC++ driver package?

Probably you’ll need this one.
https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

It is not specific to maps, it crashed on Arena, Steppe, Arabia as far as I remember. These are the maps I pick in 1v1. And crashing on all of them.

I had already tried this before my last post :+1:
Still crashed after that

Same crash here

Faulting process id: 0x4fec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c234cbddc581
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 53714fc3-8f22-4f1b-a3a6-bfee54c13aa6

Did you check post above?

To all here. Do you use additional antivirus software on your systems? If so, please list which brand and version. Also check the recommendations regarding certain antivirus scanners at the support page.

It’s not an end-user issue. Stop making these random suggestions, it’s not helping.

2 Likes

Did I say that?
The game runs very fine for me btw.

Very helpful… If you don’t have this problem and is not one of the game developers, don’t comment in this thread.

So after trying pagefile.sys etc and I am only playing single player campaigns I realised it seems to be an issue loading a saved game outside a specific session. So when I save a game come out of the game reload it when I go back in it throws what seems to be a memory exception error looking at the game log. However if I reload that saved game within the same session no issues.
I have also tried loading the saved games and immediately saving a new game but at some point it still memory exception crashes.

Hi @flodheest, PCS70 is one of our community sages recognized by the Age of Empires community team as a helpful and knowledgeable member of the community. They are only trying to help you with your issue. Personally experiencing an issue is not necessarily a requirement for knowing the solution. Be respectful towards both community sages and moderators because we are volunteers who take time out of our day to help other Age fans like yourself. If a proposed solution does not work please kindly say it did not work for you.

Hello friends! Since this thread references crashes all the way back to mid-November, I’d like to ask that you take the time to create a new thread (or comment on a thread that already exists) with the specific crash you are referencing. Unfortunately, trying to dig through multiple different crashes in a single thread makes it immensely difficult to narrow down the causes, so I am closing this thread to not only determine what is still relevant, but to see if we can split this discussion into individual conversations about each type of crash.

When you do encounter an issue, please see if you can find the following information when starting (or replying) to a new issue thread:

1. Create a clear and concise title. If you’re creating a new thread, make sure others have an idea of the problem before they ever click into the forum post.

2. Include the game version number. The version or “build” number is displayed on the home screen of the game. Include this information so we know when the issue appeared.

3. Explain the problem. Provide as many details as possible! Where did it happen? When did it happen? What circumstances may have led to the problem?

4. Provide reproduction steps. A numbered list of steps describing how and when you encountered the issue will help us track it down in our internal environments.

5. Include an image. A good picture is worth a thousand words; a video or gif clearly highlighting the problem is even better!

6. One thread = one issue. It can be hard to discuss and respond to issues when there are a hundred listed in a single thread. Try to keep each thread focused on one problem.

In addition to these, the most helpful information you can provide are any error logs related to the crash, which should be located in one of these folders:

• C:\Users<WINDOWS USERNAME>\AppData\Local\age2_x1\logs
  • …\Users\UserName\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs
  • In the Windows Event Viewer

Thank you all for taking the time to post about your issue, and I look forward to learning more about what we can do to get them figured out and fixed up!

1 Like