Game crashes if new units are added (since update 36906)

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.36906.0
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: wcxaaa

Issue:

With the latest update (36906) on April 29th, I can no longer add my new units in my mod.

The AGE I use is the one under Tools_Builds folder (version 2020.3.20).

Currently, it will be fine if I add new Graphics, Techs, even Effects, the game will work just fine.

However, once I add a new unit, then during the loading of a scenario (e.g. standard games), the game crashes to desktop.

I see the index of the new unit will be 1701 if I add one. And if I later delete this unit, I will be able to enter the game again.

I believe this is more a bug than a modding issue because I can add new units just fine in the previous version of the game.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. Open AoE2DE\Tools_Builds\AdvancedGenieEditor3.exe and load AoE2DE\resources\_common\dat\empires2_x2_p1.dat
  2. Add a blank unit. The index should now be 1701. (e.g. Copy unit 1700 and inset new copy) Save the file.
  3. Open the game, start a standard game with any mode setting.
  4. In the loading screen, after a few seconds, the game booms.

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT])
(New users cannot upload attachments)

Last 10 lines of the log:

Loading player profile
Setting up hotkeys
Total Initialization Time: 17427 ms
Running Game
Total Texture Load Time: 0 ms
Loading player profile
Setting up hotkeys
Closing video
Exception type 0xc0000005 occurred at 00007ff7eadc025b
Writing out log
1 Like

where do you see the log file?

I found the logs here:
C:\Users\[My User Name]\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs

1 Like

yep i have the same problem in log. I try to port all my units/tech effect from old .dat to new .dat and it crashes. then I try 1 unit at a time, and realize each unit has its own problem its simply unfixable.

I would recommend to continue using the old AGE3 editor you can download that from AOK.heavens and continue modding your old .dat file if you have a backup. thats probably what I will do until they can somehow fix things which I highly doubt it.

Hello! Any updates on this thread?

This issue has NOT been fixed in latest version 37650.

Also, in version 37650, If a new unit is added, you will get a pop-up window at the main menu. It says:

Could not create world. Possibly the required dataset is unavailable.

Plus, you will get stuck into an infinite loading screen if you start a standard game.

Try disabling antivirus and restart steam

Verify integrity of game with steam

Hello! Thanks for your reply but no, I believe this is neither an anti-virus software issue nor game integrity issue.

Did you try it though?

Yes. If I restore my empires2_x2_p1.dat backup then everything works.

i have added you on steam