Game crashes while starting game or running a benchmark

Game Version:

• Build (101.101.34223.0)
  • Platform (Microsoft Store)

Issue:

(Game is crashing, when trying to start a new map, especially, when it’s huge map or after Enhanced Graphics DLC)

Reproduction Steps:

1. (Download Free Enhanced Graphics DLC)
  2. (Launch AOE II : DE)
  3. (Try starting a new map or running a benchmark)

My specs :

Intel Core i5 (8300H) 2,3 - 4 GHz
12 GB RAM DDR4 2400 MHz
2 SSDs - 256 GB NVMe and 1 TB SATA3 (where i have installed game)
GPU - GeForce GTX 1050 - 4GB VRAM

(ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)

1 Like

Hi. Welcome here. As the games needs to load a lot and probably with 12 GB has to swap some of that too I would like to ask the following questions.

Did you move your paging file from SSD to harddisk as well?

And could you post a screen shot of your page file settings?

Also it’s way better to install the game to your NVMe drives, especially if put in RAID-0.

Don’t worry that they will wear out fast. The last generations last very long. At basic daily use for around 15-20 years.

I have completely turned paging off on my PC. I don’t feel the need for it since my PC has 12 gigs of RAM + it has 2 SSDs i want to live as long as they can.

I heard rumors, that SSDs wear out quickly so i preferred to be safe than sorry. I will turn it back on and let’s hope it won’t die after a year. Also, i prefer using 1TB SSD on SATA 3 as a storage for games since it’s bigger on space and NVMe SSD are still expensive when compared to SATA3 SSDs.

UPDATE : Okay, so i turned the paging file back on and let the OS to control it’s size and now game ran performance benchmark just fine even on Ultra settings. Now i’m downloading Enhanced Graphics Pack and let’s hope it will run as well.

1 Like

If you have a 1 TB SATA3 SSD for data, you could also move the swap to that drive and minimize the swap size settings on your system drive and then test it again. But you will always need to keep a minimum amount left on your system drive in order for crash debug reports to be saved and available.

E.g. like this.
C: 256
D: 4096-18432

This should enable you to scale up to 30 GB of memory usage.

I think i will keep it like this. Things are just fine. This NVMe has some space to spare.
C: - Size managed by system.

But definitely that issue should be mentioned in known issues of this game or in help articles.