Game fails to start on update (then works on next update) then stops on next update

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 54480
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Game fails to launch (again!) on update 54480.

Frustrations with AofEII DE that again will not start after an update. I usually have to wait for another update to see if the game plays after that. The update before this one the game played. but the update before that again game consistently fails to launch. No splash screen, nothing. System busy mouse icon for a few seconds then nothing. Have in past spent many an hour trying to resolve following all recommendations in AofEII DE for resolving such an issue to no avail, only for game to load properly after another update. The fact the game does launch after some updates (without me adjusting any of my machine’s settings) and consistently works until the next update which causes it to fail, is confusing.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. double click Age of Empires II icon or ‘Play’ from Steam library window.
  2. That’s it. System busy icon then nothing. Often first time get a notice about game updating itself. Then ‘nothing’. No splash screen or anything.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Game loads as normal.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

No as nothing to see.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

• does not launch so no game file.

hey, is this still the case after the hotfix?

I have Build 7486483 (Oct 7, 2021 07:51 BST.) and it’s not launching (it’s on auto-update). Not sure which hotfix you are discussing. My current understanding (which may be wrong) is that with the summer campaign update it stopped launching, then with the hotfix that followed it started launching again, but with new update it’s not launching again. BUT I haven’t been looking at the build numbers.

Is this the version you have your game in? Does the issue still persist?

Hi. I noticed the game was able to load and played the other day with the new Halloween update. Confirmed it is Version 101.101.54684.0 7486483. Thanks.

Hoping I don’t get too many more occasions where it won’t play after an update.

Thanks!
Kit

1 Like