Game freezes with extreme memory usage

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.59165.0 8211018
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
During multiplayer game (2 vs 1 hard AI, default 200 pop settings) my game randomly freezes sometimes just for a few seconds, other times for half a minute. Sometimes long enough for disconnect. Then all the action happening during the time frozen is played with crazy speed. It is not just the game but the whole computer. I looked into resource usage and I noticed excess memory usage of the game. During the freezes it uses 13 GB of my 16 GB ram. When it comes back to life, it’s around 10 GB used. Which is still crazy big considering that my wife plays next to me just fine with 8 GB system ram.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Happens at least once each game but I did not notice the pattern. Definitely not at the start when there’s no combat.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
The game would not freeze and gameplay speed is constant.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.
I don’t know how to record it.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

Hi @LordPolcat !

Does this happen for you in the new update?

1 Like

No, it seems it does not. :smile: One thing to note though is that my PC has an SSD for OS and HDD for games and the SSD got full and I replaced it with a bigger one just before the game patched. So either the patch fixed it or the new SSD. :sweat_smile: