Game is a desaster, admit it please

Why should we agree to disagree on something we agree on? I think it looked as good as FPS games of its time, Gamespot thinks it looked as good as FPS games of its time and even you were finally willing to grant it looked as good as 2 good looking FPS games of its time. Couldn’t we agree to agree on this? It’s doesn’t even affect the rest of your argument that it was only a year later that technology magically started to only benefit one genre over the other, so why can’t we put even this single, obvious, issue to bed?

No, I am asking for it because I want it, not because it’s been done before. The fact it’s been done before is simply the reason why I have no faith in people’s unsubstantiated claims that it’s impossible.

This is so absurd. If Microsoft chooses to limit the scope of the project, thus making it less likely for them to achieve what they could otherwise achieve, it does not make them less capable of achieving it.

It’s like me saying it’s reasonable to expect Usain Bolt (let’s he assume he is still the best) to win an Olympic medal and you arguing against that by saying he might intentionally decide to lose (for many good and valid reasons). It doesn’t make it less reasonable for people to have the justified view that he is the best positioned to win a medal.

I feel like again you are hell bent on us to disagree on something we agree on. We both agree Microsoft is in a better position than other companies, you are just trying to partition the conversation so we are only talking about how well positioned they are, assuming they have decided to invest so little that it would defacto make it impossible. You are basically trying to strawman my argument so it becomes a tautology of your argument.

I didn’t see any argument worthy of being interrogated seriously. How do you expect me to interrogate “Microsoft’s contract with Relic is a black box”? It’s a black box, I guess I just have to accept all your suppositions then.

Either way I am doing my best to interrogate the subject with you and if my tongue in cheek comments offend then I apologize for them, both for those that came before and both for those that are certain to come.

I also don’t dislike the game, though I do dislike the visuals, but that is completely besides the point at hand which is that of attitude. In a way it’s completely divorced from Age of Empires 4. Age of Empires 4 is just the best possible example to illustrate how unreasonable some people can be in their attempt to explain why it’s unreasonable to expect X from someone who is most capable of achieving X.

Great, show us the math. Make sure that when you delve us deeper into assets, models, animations and limited texture information that you also take the time to explain how those factor in to the fact that it was possible in 2006 and then impossible from 2007 moving forward. I would like to know the math exactly and how it couldn’t be used erroneously by people like you in 2005 against someone who had the audacity to ask for an RTS with the visual fidelity of Call of Duty 3.

Like I said, many people have already shared their changed opinions of the visuals following the newer videos, even before the game came out. Even horrible people who reverse engineer reasons to hate the game.

So you can stop holding your breath for that one.

In what way did you feel gameplay was lacking in Company of Heroes when comparing it to less visually impressive RTS games of the time?

I am sorry I am reducing your lengthy response which I appreciate to just this one sentence but it always, always comes down to people pretending better visuals will somehow impair “gameplay / replayability / accessibility / many other things”.

AoE4 in itself has demonstrably improved visually over the past few months, do you feel any of those other facets of the game have been adversely affected by this?

It’s the same with the zoom and every other improvement we ask for.

“Can we have zoom?”
“No.”
“Why?”
“Gameplay is king”

Patch released, zoom increased

Does any of the ‘gameplay is king’ people want to argue in favor of reducing the zoom back? Didn’t think so.

1 Like