Game is a desaster, admit it please

I mean, hes a youtuber that does casting.
Im not surprised he’s excited for new content to put on his channel.

I don’t quite understand this accusation about his character. Is there something I don’t know about him?
He seems like a generally upstanding guy imo.
And he’s given criticism whenever he’s felt strong about something.

1 Like

Everytime I see he makes a new video I just wonder if he´s receiving something for doing that… I mean I just don´t feel like he´s being honest at all. He probably got an opportunity to work with them once the game is finished, or I don´t know…

@Latulevieja With regard to receiving something for my videos, I can unequivocally assure you I receive no form of reimbursement / payment from any third party. I very obviously have an incentive for AOE4 to be successful, I am a content creator, and as a game grows, my community grows with it too, and with that my ad revenue / twitch subscriptions. However, to suggest that my opinions are not my own and that I am without integrity, will result only in diminishing your arguments.

Aussie Drongo just sounds like he is trying soooo hard to hype this game. Even if lag kills all his army, even if he factors all these bugs that he often swears his head off, he tries to stay positive. Same with Spirit of the Law. He says all his criticism in the most G rated way ever.

@Khansa5234 To be fair I’ve been waiting for this game for 15 years, it could be a steaming pile of turd and I’d still be hyped for it. With regard to that clip, it was obviously out of my control in a technical stress test, I don’t see why I wouldn’t try to stay positive? I need to make sure I don’t get bogged down by those things if I want to keep streaming for another 5-6 hours otherwise morale takes a huge toll.

You can say a lot about A_D, but “credibility” isn’t one of those things. He’s all hyped up for the potential money coming from AoE4 and that’s it.

@gongalone I wish I could search through your history more, but unfortunately it only lets me go back to late September. Your name, together with @KingStarscream9 are names I have in my brain as being trolls / ‘haters’ / just generally spiteful individuals.

I’m really not sure where your comment came from, but just to give you a little insight -

I’ve made multiple videos critical of AoE4:

I’ve made multiple threads critical of AoE4:

(Others were in the forums which we no longer have access to, but were deep and included a significant amount of feedback)

I’m an active moderator on the Age of Empires 4 subreddit, I use my personal account there for transparency and specifically distance myself as a moderator there from my content creation. I’m not listed in the sidebar as a content creator unlike SOTL, Lidakor, Age of Noob etc, I’ve posted only one of my videos to the subreddit ever, and genuinely moderate the subreddit because I enjoy it the game and want the community to prosper.

As mentioned earlier, I have you listed in my head as a troll, but assuming you’re not, I’d love to hear more from you about my ‘credibility’, and why that of all things, is something you choose to target.

Thanks @BossPaprika1647 for the tag so I actually know that I’m being talked about and can defend myself.

23 Likes

The position that the life of the franchise depends on the success of just one title is irreconcilable with the fact that the Age franchise has never stopped releasing content since it began doing so in 1997.

2 Likes

You are not the only one who has been waiting that long for this. A lot of the frustration by a lot of people is because they waited so long for something like this but the game is the least ambitious out of all the AOE titles. Hence my comments that youtubers are just trying to hype the game but the game itself doesn’t make many wanna actually be super hype that this will be the best age game ever and revamp the RTS community. If I too wasn’t an age fan, I woulda taken the advice and dumped the game. Rather than going through game files and trying to learn modding.

And yes you give critiques, b it not without a million disclaimers. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it’s evident of trying to maintain hype which is the point of my argument.

It’s been a game where if you actually take clips from the trailers, people will argue that the game is so much better. When it should always be the other way around. Hence they’ve done terrible in the hyping market themselves. I don’t expect top AOE youtubers to go on a incessant rant. That’s for commoners.

But FYI I never intended for this to turn into a youtuber character bashing. I don’t support that

4 Likes

Please be sure to respond to the entire post, I did go back and edit it upon reading the remainder of the thread and found some further things to mention in the post. Then I will respond to you.

I respond to my specific part as the rest is just character bashing that I already said I don’t agree with. The edited part isn’t me either.

Despite it releasing content, RTS has become more and more of a niche genre because the other games have gone above and beyond in terms of gameplay and graphics. AOE has become that niche memory for most of when computers were old and people played when they were young.

AOE IV is developing in 2021 with the presence of all the new engines and4K graphics. It’s MEANT to bring AOE on par with the games that it was falling behind to and wow people into playing it with their nostalgia redefined in modern technology with all new game play and features.

Which it didn’t.

All it has is the nostalgia. But they didn’t go above and beyond with anything. AOE needs that one modern title to pull it out of the niche genre and finally lay its 20 year old predecessor to rest. But it seems the predecessor will continue to shine, keeping AOE and RTS that niche genre that people will associate their childhood too. Rather than that epic experience they felt as an adult.

A game I literally attach my laptop to a 4K screen 75 inch tv to play but get so underwhelmed.

15 Likes

I agree there. I’m not presently intending to play aoe4

6 Likes

I disagree massively with a lot of what you have written, but as I’m not here to discuss why 14% of the player base and 46% of the active users on the official forums think the game isn’t hype, I’ll leave it at that.

5 Likes

Also, these forums are absolutely ******* terrible for trying to navigate previous posts. Who thought it would be a good idea to hide posts that I’ve scrolled past.

6 Likes

always trashy. they didnt even update properly the forums since aoeo era

1 Like

I’m mainly into campaigns so I really want to see what it is that they spent all their production money on.

The issue I have is that they had a trump card to really boost this game to high grounds. Using the medieval scene, the AOE franchise, and linking it to its most successful and nostalgic predecessor, the game could have carried a whale to the top rankings. They just needed to really invest in it like Ensemble Studios did in all their AOE games. Even if they kept the gameplay exactly the way it is and put a lot of money into boosting the graphics to modern, and then really polishing and enhancing the trailers, it would have generated hype like no other.

But if this game just becomes another age game, it’s hard to rely on future releases of any other games to generate that level of hype since the trump card has already been played. The “after decades of silence, AOE brings a new game into the modern era”.

Now it will be “after their previous recent release, AOe tries again.”

And AOE IV will create a lasting impression on the AOE franchise and any future titles to come. Good or bad.

3 Likes

Seriously? I fear I don’t want to know when you get overwhelmed on that 75 inch. :slight_smile:

But that’s definitively not how you play RTS or this game should have been designed for, extremely large monitors. For most PC games 4K is a bummer anyway in regard to power consumption and required CPU/GPU performance, for creatives in design and even rendering it’s a different story of course.

You base all your game critics by playing on that TV?

Maybe you could buy 75" with 8K so it has higher PPI which will make it look much better. You do sound a bit like a rich spoiled rich here. I want my, I want my MTV.

And we can’t waste too much power for just playing games imho.

Critics are never kind and it’s also normal to be very careful not to burn down the house too.

2 Likes

By me specifically mentioning that means it’s a game I was so excited about that I wanted to play on a big screen. By playing on a big screen you expect to see the intricate details that can be missed on smaller screens. But in AOE IV there is no intricate details to look at because it is all washed out.

And those people who say “uhhh that’s not how you play RTS”. Go pull up AOE III DE and check out the beautiful 3D rendering on that. Or AOE II DE and look at the intricate unit details on that. “That’s not how RTS is played”, sounds like you are the same person everyone has been quoting who made that joke (or I think the joke) about zoom level.

“They wanted extra zoom level but that’s not how you play the game” or something like that.

And who do you think you are telling people how and how not to play a game? You are literally saying RTS genre is doomed to fail because it inherently cannot compete with modern day games due to its genre.

It’s like telling a kid who wants to be a doctor that they can’t because they have a serious mental disorde means they can’t learn like the average kid does.

3 Likes

Your spelling and logic are both disasters in their own right… Please don’t tell anyone to admit something that you have come to your own conclusion about. The vast majority of people interested in this game are supporting the game and don’t agree with your sentiment of it being a disaster. The fact that you think you know better than the developers and broader community highlights more about your own opinion rather than choices the developers have made.

2 Likes

You didn’t answer my one very important question. :slight_smile:

No, I didn’t say that and I’m sure they didn’t mean it in the context like you put it here.

Yes, I’m always the same guy.

I had absolutely no problem playing Rise of Legends with this camera height

Aussie just want to be clear it’s nothing against you or your content which I like, specially from AoE 3. And wish you keep growing as the AoE channel we need.

But I would appreciate it if you are more realistic about AoE 4 and nerf yourself a little bit lol. I am so hyped too but there are dozens of reasons to be worried about our game. I don’t want you to promote a fake image about the community to the developers. You might have 20k fans that will support your hype but pretending to have the best game of the saga is just fake and I am quite sure you know that… It is far from being the best game of the saga. They are not fixing/adding basic features that a RTS should have. And visuals are not as immersive (I dont care if graphics are good or not, you can add animations and physics to make it more immersive even if graphics are too bad) as the sound design. And I can keep mentioning a lot more.

So the videos you have done talking about the problems and price are not enough to describe all our concerns. (btw really great videos). This is just a personal thought but it would be nice if a popular youtuber like you could help us to be the voice of the community instead of pretending that the game is so damn good. But keeping your positivism as well. I agree that there’s no reason to rant against the game, it has so much potential and Relic have done extraordinary games which I love. I think we can all work together to make the game better.

At least for me it’s really annoying to find so many problems in the game when I am so hyped too and seeing you acting like if that is the best game ever… really makes me think bad about you, sorry just my feeling.

But anyways never lose your positivism, you are a great narrator and I like your attitude, just pls think it twice when it is about AoE 4, I pretty much feel like we will not get the hyped game we all want to get.

The best way to explain that feeling is when I was so hyped to see gameplay, then saw unmanned siege weapons and I was like ´´for The Hire sake, why did they do that…´´ that was the very first bad decision and addition for the game… like come on its 2021, really are we going backwards?

Well after seeing more gameplays and playing the beta just found they will keep that, the UI, and many other issues we have been asking to be fixed/improved/added, so how do you expect that people feel happy with the actual status of the game?

4 Likes

Sorry dude, but where did you take these percents? People Who thinking this game has not a “wow factor” are not 14% of the whole AOE fan base. AOE has milions of fans. Those percents are bigger than you think. I personally Think this game Will be very divisive due some reasons:

1. not a good graphic especially about the Low textures on units, Plastic weapons, Buildings and sea effects. About this:

"This Is a preview from beta wrote by the main italian PC gaming magazine:

"However, where Age of Empires IV suffers compared to the second chapter, and in particular compared to the Definitive Edition released in 2019, is in the aesthetic sector. If the glance is not too bad (but also, it must be said, not at the level of what we have come to expect from Relic) the comparison with the high definition sprites of the predecessor is definitely merciless.

VISUAL CLARITY IS ONE OF THE LESS CONVINCING ASPECTS

Among other things, this has implications that go beyond simple aesthetic taste: in terms of visual clarity Age of Empires IV does not shine particularly, some animations are not convincing and it is not always easy to understand when our units are giving themselves. to do; particularly bad the thing with regard to most of the siege weapons, whose bullets are often difficult to see, much better infantry instead. The interface is also characterized by ups and downs: it is not particularly striking in terms of design, but it integrates some very useful elements such as the indicator of how many resources per minute we are accumulating or the accurate representation of the damage bonuses of each unit (the spearmen , for example, they have a very rich +16 against cavalry units).

“One thing, on the other hand, has remained unchanged in all these years, and it is the absolute mediocrity of the battles on the seas, although here too Relic Entertainment and World’s Edge have tried to slightly renew the formula.”" ";

"“When these units meet on the battlefield, it’s time to party like it’s 1999. You’re still limited to 200 population, split as you like between civilians and soldiers. Units are trained one at a time, with the exception of one late-game building for the HRE that can build five. This scale felt epic and compelling when I was a kid playing on a Pentium, but after decades of Total War, these battles often feel more like skirmishes…The graphics are definitely nice, but they’re not going to drop any jaws in this day and age – especially the unit models, which are just plainly underwhelming”

So, graphic and artstyle Will be a very important metric for the game success, especially when you have CoH3 made by the same developers with the same engine and in this case the technical quality Is very different like the day and night ;

1. mechanics: i didn’t see really new modes which make me Think “this game Is the next Evolution of AOE”. Actually, After played both closed beta, i found this game like AOE2de with less features and a worst graphic, less detailed except for terrains. Sounds are really really good;

2. The world of AOE seem not vivid and realistic as AOE3de or AOE2de: we have the same fauna (only three Animals), no native populations or mercenaries around the Map, no diplomacy options and more;

3. Physics Is too semplicistic in comparison to AOE3de or Coh and for me this Is a downgrade from the previous game and the same argument for the Siege weapons crew. No Havoc system in this game i think or they’ve implemented It very bad.

Of course you’ll Say those things are not important when you play and i agree with you but only when you are playing multiplayer matches or competitive scenarios.
But for campaigns, skirmish and co-op these things are fundamental.
And the core base of AOE have Always been people Who play campaigns and skirmish.
So, developers would have give different graphic options to everyone,imho.

I don’t think this game Will be a disaster but it’s really distante from what many people were looking for.

9 Likes

Some very good points I could’ve mentioned myself.
I had a blast since closed beta, I think it’s a good RTS, fun game, a pretty good strategy in general but when talking about the fourth installment of AoE series, the new major one after 16 years- there’s is a decent amount of things that could be criticized. I’ve written about it enough already, tho.

It’s funny to see how RTS games evolved. Right now I’m playing three demos/playtests for upcoming games from sub-sub genre for classic RTS- base building survivals (for people that don’t know it- I’m sure you’ve heard about THey Are Billions?).
One is ‘Diplomacy is not an Option’

second ‘Alien Marauder’

and third ‘Riftbreaker’

And this is stuff installed atm, not mentioning other upcoming ones or games that are released. Looking at this market as a whole- RTS are kinda small piece of that pie, not to say niche these days. And that subgenre is even smaller part of it.

At the same time normal, classic RTS are struggle and not a lot of people invest into bigger titles or review older brands. It feels a bit like classic arena shooters, in times of hero shooters, fpp BRs/mobas and other classic one are just forgotten, even Quake tried to revive that with Champions, and it didn’t go anywhere near being as big as III Arena.

So far we’ve seen only one beta and one stress test, but nothing about it was fresh, or felt like it’s advancing genre. Ans mentioned above- even less customization options for matches and skirmishes than in OG ‘Age of Kings’ for Christ’s sake.
Solo modes are one big unknown, but it’s prolly just a normal campaign, without some new, interesting modes. Even basic RTS like BfME series had ‘War of the Ring’ or Empire At War ‘Galactic Conquest’ (?) mode that was trying to present classic gameplay in a new way.

There is so much stuff coming out these days when it comes to PC RTS game,s more of that is just ot on AAA level and PC exclusive and goes under a radar for a lot of people. Certainly not things Microsoft will talk about on any conference…
30 New Upcoming PC City-building Games in 2021 & 2022 ► Best Survival Simulation City-builders! - YouTube

I would ask just one question to any AoE fan that is super hyped about IV - what would you say if you had to recommend buying this game to a friend?
What are the hooks, what systems will be championed and pushed forward, what shown so far is jaw-dropping?

5 Likes