Game is Removing Mods On Boot

Thank man. Indeed fixed.

I just submitted a mod and subscribed to it, however it doesn’t launch, and when I restart the game I see the folder disappear in front of my eyes! Is there some waiting time between subscribing and restarting the game that we should be aware of?

Right now it’s not enough to just sign up for the mod on the site, you also have to sign up for the game and wait a while without leaving the game for the mod to fully download. A circle usually appears to me to the left of the mod name which means that the mod is being downloaded. Only when it disappears do you download the mod.

Hi, is it possible to unsubscribe to the mods for events? When ever I try to unsubscribe one of those mods then come up active next time I play the game. For example, the trophies and TCs decoration.

1 Like

@DodoNotDoDo is there any news on a fix for this?

It’s still happening - whatever the code is for this part of this sytem, it really should be regression tested each time any new code/fixes are implemented since it seems to be frequently impacted.

The issue with being auto subscribed to the event mods? Depending on timing, it could be related to a recent event where previous event mods were re-enabled so may have gotten resubscribed. But even if they’re subscribed to, you should be able to deselect them so they’re not enabled.

So I guess I need more detail on what you’re referencing, like specific mod(s) and if they’re auto subscribing or auto re-enabling or what’s happening.

It’s actually the exact same issue as the very original post reported, including the replication steps.

Perhaps though, as you said, it’s to do with timing, since I can see today they have launched a new challenge event, perhaps this is interferring.

I’m not seeing an issue in my testing, nor do I see any problems with the backend system. If it does continue for you, please start a new bug report (since this one is marked solved) with as much detail as possible so the game team can check it out.

Just experienced the same thing. Game is removing mods.

Deinstall game and install new, maybe that helps…

3 Likes

Happening now. Cannot play the game because I need the mods to work for my setup.

3 Likes

When i installed mods:

Second page of mods:

After i closed game and restarted to activate mods:

Any idea what to do? Can’t fix it. tried new install, didn’t work.

This is so ####### ######### This issue exists for years now. I think it happens when they change some season shit mods.

1 Like

This happened to me and my friends also, the thing is even if they fix it I had over 30 mods and now I have only 1 installed and will never know which mods I lost. Thanks DE

1 Like

This bug has come back. It even deleted more mods the second time I launched the game, so more and more mods got deleted. Major annoyance, because I don’t remember all the mods installed before, I relied on the cloud to save it… Please fix this soon, @DodoNotDoDo
PS: Is there any way to bring back the mods installed before or see the list?

2 Likes

We’re investigating this issue, in the meantime I recommend you to do a temporary fix.

Before you launch the game, please make a copy of mod-status.json file, this can be found here:
C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\YOUR_STEAM_ID\mods\mod-status.json

You should also copy your mods to /local.
Mods default folder is: C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\YOUR_STEAM_ID\mods\subscribed
Copy the folders found there in:
C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\YOUR_STEAM_ID\mods\local

I believe this issue is resolved now, as of a few minutes ago. If you still see mods being auto-unsubscribed, please let me know.

2 Likes

I am here to let you know it isnt fixed.

Sadly it is not fix and my mod list keep getting lower and lower from 20+ to now below 10 mods each time I launch the game.

I guess I will not be able to play this game any time soon then…currently no hope for 150+ mods will back and even after ‘fixed’ I will still have to manually re-test all the mods I had downloaded before as I already forgot the name. Also custom campaigns were pain as well as already forgot which one played or not. Has to manually check all of them. it sucks and may cost weeks of my time if I want to play this game.

2 Likes