Game Suggestions

@Plasticcaz said:
Does anyone else want them to go all out and make massive readjustments to make the game more beginner friendly? I’m talking like massive changes that change how the game is played. I’m talking about making it a brand new game, that is set in the same time period, uses the same units, but plays differently.

They could keep a compatibility mode for those who want a nostalgia trip.

Some of the sort of changes I’d like to see:

• Infinite farms that gather at a slower rate than hunts.
  • A raidable market line for gold like Age of Empires Online had.
  • Massive changes to the way the game is balanced (I’ve been told that meta is basically use chariot archers). I think the devs have already committed to this one.
  • Just overall reducing the burden of some of the tedious, non-fun tasks that one often has to do. (like telling villagers to gather the berries near a granary they just built).
  • Put a lot of data in the UI (things like villager count on each resource, population/housing ratio, etc.)

Basically I’d like to see them modernize the game and lower the barrier of entry for noobs like me. I don’t think they’ll actually go as extreme as some of the stuff I’m proposing, but I’m just putting it out there.

1.I think that the fact that you had to remake the farms and that you would eventually run out of wood for it, was a great additon to the game and it made the player feel a bit of pressure, making his choices of upgrades and unit composition a lot more important.
4. I think that they are already working on it, I always forgot to tell my villagers to gather resources.
5. The problem with this is that if you put too much information on the UI, It will get a bit confusing and will take up a bigger part of the scene, which is pretty bad.
I mostly agree with your other points and it would be nice to see them, but that would mean, that they would have to put aside a lot of originality and the point of this game is to bring back the game we all loved to play as it was.

I think it would be nice if we were available to create a map and make a party to play in a local party and in online party also. I used to play in the same room with friends and my brother. Bring/keep this in the game and you’ll have some more users interested in buying the game.

The cheat models should be redone as well.
So, new “Big Momma” and “Big Daddy” in Definite graphics, would be great.

I would like to have an new campaign which has a higher difficulty as the old ones or the possibillity to make challenges for others.

Game changes:

First: Everything said by @BlazingGaming13

Furthermore,

Balancing!

1. Implement EVERYTHING from the Upatch
  2. Make Slingers an even better counter unit against mounted archers.
  3. Make the Hittie civ a wee bit weaker
  4. Make chariot archers weaker (I once played a patched version where the chariot archer had a -1 range, very good balance)
  5. The Egypt priest shouldn’t have that much range.
  6. Make priest over all better to counter
  7. Better AI

Other stuff:

• Maybe a bit better farming rebuild. But not as over-exaggerated as in AOE II, with the stupid farm ques
  • Better hunting bonuses
  • More fishing tiles
  • Rally points for creating units

What would be cool (but not necessary):

• More micromanagement options for units, like the aggressive- and defensive stance, and patrolling.
  • Adding some kind of ‘veterancy’ (with very light bonuses) to some units (like legions) that preformed well on the battlefield. A bit like the promotion-system in games like RA2 and C&C generals, but not with that big of a bonus reward.
  • AI-resign option; if checked at the beginning of a single-player game, the AI can resign when all moving units are dead.

I would like to suggest to make the walls more functional in aoe 2. I think it would be nice to have archers able to shoot on top of walls.

They said no to this features. Changes too much the meta.

I would love to see unique Imperial Age building sets for the House, Monastery, and Blacksmith in AOE2 as those are missing. I would also love to see Stone Wall become an upgrade on the Palisade Wall along with it Stone Wall being moved to the Castle Age and have Fortified Wall moved to the Imperial Age. The HP of the keep will also need to be reduced as well while the Bombard Tower gets a bit of increase in its HP. Now the Palisade Walls that are in the campaigns would be replaced by the Palisade Walls that don’t get upgraded.

After playing a lot on AoE II and going back to RoR again (though I haven’t played the beta, so maybe some of the following have already been changed), I felt that quite a few changes would be appreciable to make that game great to play (besides graphics, pathfinding, etc…), especially in a more competitive play :

Unit Balance :
-The trash units (meaning chariots) should not be so powerful (especially compared to gold unit), in particular Scythe Chariot : at that point it does not even deserve to be called trash… Moreover, only some of the civilizations have access to it, which makes a lot of civilizations unplayable realistically. I would suggest to nerf those and give some more playable trash to other civilizations as well.
-I don’t know much about the balance of other units, but it would be great if most of them had a clear utility, that no unit be useless in every situations

Civ balance :
-I find the civilization bonuses pretty high, which makes some civilizations too strong and some totally useless. Moreover, since they have too few different bonuses (but strong ones), it encourages a 1-unit-army kind of play, which is not really fun to play or to watch. I would suggest that the civilizations bonuses be milder but more diversified
-give access to trash to all civs (like ‘good’ trash), so that all/most civs can be played competitively

Gold :
-Besides totally off-balanced trash, another problem is gold : once it’s gone it’s gone. I would suggest to add some way to get gold after depletion of the minerals, but more slowly (by exchanging ressources or trading like in AoEII, or even some improved trading ships like there is in RoR, but also on land and with better efficiency), so that the game would still be interesting in the latest stages.

Clarity&gameplay :
-What really misses in RoR is an in-game tech tree featuring all units (available and non-available, and how to unlock them) and stats (even hidden bonus), so that it becomes more beginner friendly. In the same way, as it not evident it would be good to indicate the possible later upgrades and what is needed to do it (ex: long sword to legion, you need fanatism but it’s hard to guess)
-I think some of those points have already been improved, but it would be great to have attack to destination and formation commands, rally points, different units queuing, that the villagers automatically start gathering after building a depot, that you could build a building on your units (and they move automatically, not having to do by yourself beforehand), changeable hotkeys…
-max pop increased to 200 (at least)
-better AI

Thanks for reading (and hope the devs read as well)

@Azudaah said:
After playing a lot on AoE II and going back to RoR again (though I haven’t played the beta, so maybe some of the following have already been changed), I felt that quite a few changes would be appreciable to make that game great to play (besides graphics, pathfinding, etc…), especially in a more competitive play :

Unit Balance :
-The trash units (meaning chariots) should not be so powerful (especially compared to gold unit), in particular Scythe Chariot : at that point it does not even deserve to be called trash… Moreover, only some of the civilizations have access to it, which makes a lot of civilizations unplayable realistically. I would suggest to nerf those and give some more playable trash to other civilizations as well.
-I don’t know much about the balance of other units, but it would be great if most of them had a clear utility, that no unit be useless in every situations

Trash units are powerful for sure, but giving them to all civilizations isn’t the way to balance things.
Gold dependence is great way to balance civilizations.

Civ balance :
-I find the civilization bonuses pretty high, which makes some civilizations too strong and some totally useless. Moreover, since they have too few different bonuses (but strong ones), it encourages a 1-unit-army kind of play, which is not really fun to play or to watch. I would suggest that the civilizations bonuses be milder but more diversified
-give access to trash to all civs (like ‘good’ trash), so that all/most civs can be played competitively

One unit army is a problem because of the upgrade cots. No one buys two golden upgrades and if you have units with golden upgrade then you use only the golden units.
There isn’t any bonus that would effectively lock any civilization to one unit. All strong one unit affecting bonus are for melees (or for priest) and you almost always need ranged units to your army. Only civ with one unit army is Minoan with Composite bowmen, but that is intended one unit civ.

Gold :
-Besides totally off-balanced trash, another problem is gold : once it’s gone it’s gone. I would suggest to add some way to get gold after depletion of the minerals, but more slowly (by exchanging ressources or trading like in AoEII, or even some improved trading ships like there is in RoR, but also on land and with better efficiency), so that the game would still be interesting in the latest stages.

The limited gold is part of the AOE1 it has it’s flaws for sure, but this is a Remaster so i wouldn’t expect any huge game style changes. The balance you propose sounds good.

Clarity&gameplay :
-What really misses in RoR is an in-game tech tree featuring all units (available and non-available, and how to unlock them) and stats (even hidden bonus), so that it becomes more beginner friendly. In the same way, as it not evident it would be good to indicate the possible later upgrades and what is needed to do it (ex: long sword to legion, you need fanatism but it’s hard to guess)
-I think some of those points have already been improved, but it would be great to have attack to destination and formation commands, rally points, different units queuing, that the villagers automatically start gathering after building a depot, that you could build a building on your units (and they move automatically, not having to do by yourself beforehand), changeable hotkeys…
-max pop increased to 200 (at least)
-better AI

Thanks for reading (and hope the devs read as well)

upgraded UI, unit commands and help tips are in the AOE:DE. Most or all of those improvements are being implemented.

what i hope to see is a more compatible map like in rise of nations, played that game for a time. And then tried to go back to age of empires, but it was really hard because scrolling and moving over the map was so old fashioned.

i would also like to see a nation/civilization, what would include pirates, rebells ect.

@pate623 said:

@Azudaah said:
Unit Balance :

Trash units are powerful for sure, but giving them to all civilizations isn’t the way to balance things.
Gold dependence is great way to balance civilizations.

Not all civilizations, sure, but at least most of them : the fact that when gold mines are depleted more than half of the civilizations are left with nothing is too much. It does not have to be the same trash, but at least an option to continue playing with some chances. For examples with the Greeks (or any other no-chariots civilization), when out of gold you’re left with Axemen and Bowmen, which stand no chance not only against gold unit but also chariots.

Civ balance :

One unit army is a problem because of the upgrade cots. No one buys two golden upgrades and if you have units with golden upgrade then you use only the golden units.
There isn’t any bonus that would effectively lock any civilization to one unit. All strong one unit affecting bonus are for melees (or for priest) and you almost always need ranged units to your army. Only civ with one unit army is Minoan with Composite bowmen, but that is intended one unit civ.

Indeed the golden upgrades are really expensive, but most civilizations should have options to do something else than their golden units : otherwise you’re left with not only one unit army, but also one unit civilization, leading to same games over and over. Then maybe if golden upgrades were less expensive and golden units less overpowered ? That way you would have other different options to fight.
I understand your point for bonuses, but I would still enjoy more diversified civilizations, with more viable options

@NotableHades567 said:
what i hope to see is a more compatible map like in rise of nations, played that game for a time. And then tried to go back to age of empires, but it was really hard because scrolling and moving over the map was so old fashioned.

i would also like to see a nation/civilization, what would include pirates, rebells ect.

In which game?

@Augustusman said:

In which game?

Just checked with the two games, hovering is fixed in AOE II HD, but scrolling(zoom in and out) is still a pitty. The other game where i picked this up is Rise of Nations.

I sincerely hope that the zoom level is at max. I was very disappointed playing AoE3 great game, but due to the limited zoom level compared to AoE2 I didn’t pay too much. I guess I want to see the bigger picture. Important to see all the world clearly to fight at several fronts at the same time without using the little map. AoE is a completer game in many ways versus AoE2, however I experience the game play of AoE2 better due to the zoom level. Hopefully an easy fix for the developers.

Second important thing would be set the timer before an attack up front, also on single play. Nice to build up a strong defense and economy first and to concentrate on that, but when the war starts, it would be nice that you can solely focus on the war and let AI run the well set up economy for you. I now play most of the time hardest level against 3-5 opponents but with economy cheats on AoE2. So complex fighting, after setting up a strong defense and having a strong economy.

Set additional economy cheats, not with 1,000 but with 100,000. A bit of waste of time to time 100 times “Robin Hood” in a game… Despite that I do not play death match because attacks are too quick. Nice to build a very good defense first, really taking time to think it through instead of typing like crazy for building. Must be a super easy fix for the developers but with really a great benefit for the players.

Reduce trebuchets with 1 range so others can easier kill them. Or the option to not have them in a game. Once you have enough of them, the game is too easy on every level. A castle or bombard tower should be able to shoot back. Quick fix too. Maybe even the option at the beginning of the game to set values of the units yourself. Would be nice to test this as a gamer and to design it yourself. Should be an option, not default.

Thanks. Keep up the good work. AoE is a super game serie. Really like the idea to play even the first one, with just better graphics.

@WalnutAmoeba427 said:
I sincerely hope that the zoom level is at max. I was very disappointed playing AoE3 great game, but due to the limited zoom level compared to AoE2 I didn’t pay too much. I guess I want to see the bigger picture. Important to see all the world clearly to fight at several fronts at the same time without using the little map. AoE is a completer game in many ways versus AoE2, however I experience the game play of AoE2 better due to the zoom level. Hopefully an easy fix for the developers.

Second important thing would be set the timer before an attack up front, also on single play. Nice to build up a strong defense and economy first and to concentrate on that, but when the war starts, it would be nice that you can solely focus on the war and let AI run the well set up economy for you. I now play most of the time hardest level against 3-5 opponents but with economy cheats on AoE2. So complex fighting, after setting up a strong defense and having a strong economy.

Set additional economy cheats, not with 1,000 but with 100,000. A bit of waste of time to time 100 times “Robin Hood” in a game… Despite that I do not play death match because attacks are too quick. Nice to build a very good defense first, really taking time to think it through instead of typing like crazy for building. Must be a super easy fix for the developers but with really a great benefit for the players.

Reduce trebuchets with 1 range so others can easier kill them. Or the option to not have them in a game. Once you have enough of them, the game is too easy on every level. A castle or bombard tower should be able to shoot back. Quick fix too. Maybe even the option at the beginning of the game to set values of the units yourself. Would be nice to test this as a gamer and to design it yourself. Should be an option, not default.

Thanks. Keep up the good work. AoE is a super game serie. Really like the idea to play even the first one, with just better graphics.

For AOE2, I think 100,000 of each resources for each of the 4 resources cheats is too much. 1,000 or 10,000 is better. Now as for the cheats that currently give 100,000 of all resources each at the same time, the amount given should be reduced to 10,000 of each resources. 100,000 of each resources is what I don’t mind seeing in AOE3 as AOE3 gets more onto the resources use than AOE1 and 2.