Game unresponsive when opening Options

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.56005.0.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Microsoft Store
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Whenever I open the Options, either in-game or from the home page, the game freezes. Usually it is a black textured screen like the background has loaded but the options haven’t. Sometimes it all loads but without text. Music usually still plays. Either way the game is unresponsive. I have to use task manager to end game. Affects both my laptop and desktop.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open main menu in game
  2. Select Options

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Game freezes and becomes unresponsive.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

Hi @Grant262 !

This is not happening in our test, could you try to verify your files in Steam?

AoE2 → Properties → Local files

Let me know if that fixes the problem!

Hello,
The game is via Microsoft Store not Steam,

Ah I see. Can you try to reinstall it then?

I also have the same problem and been searching for ways to fix this bug. Any luck fixing it?

Okay we found a way to reproduce this issue, seems to be related with the hotkeys tab.

Thanks guys, we are now tracking it! <3

1 Like

Thanks for the news! yeah I usually just get a foggy screen even during a game or straight from the main menu when I click the options tab. Even after redownloading and or buying it straight from the Microsoft store it was still bugged. hopefully the team figures it out!

Finally got round to re-installing; made no difference.

Bonjour, j’ai ce bug depuis plus de 6 mois maintenant. Je l’ai toujours cru lié à la taille de notre profil joueur microsoft réseau, généralement dépassée et trop grosse sur le cloud. Un profil qu’on ne peut évidemment pas alléger. Si vous attendez 5 à 10 minutes, les options et les raccourcis clavier s’affichent enfin…

any updates on this?

1 Like

We are still tracking the issue

Hi,

Did you change your xbox gamertag lately by any chance?

I’ve changed my username maybe a year ago or something and the problem persists
whenever I try to open the hotkeys.

The issue is also common when checking the saved games, or looking for servers and initiating hosting a game.

Black screens, endless loading icons and sluggish overlays are common.
Hovering usernames works most of the time, but not always.