Gameplay Balance

Yeah that would be great if they balance everything and actively work on it after release as well. I’m so excited to play a game that has more than three races/civlizations/whatever haha. I was a little too young to appreciate that when the game was new(ish)

@NonprofitChunk1 said:

@ProTagger1 said:
1 or 2 viable strategies? I don’t think so… Come play some games with elite players and we will show you all the dynamics of this game. The fact there are so many imbalances in resource distribution on the map ensures a great diversity of strategy and tactics, even if it is just assy war!

You are day dreaming to think you are a pro player. The best player of this game are from China and my country and they far outclass the Westerners.

And even true pro-westerners know that this game all resolve arount Chariot Archer microing.

Remembers me of them good times on zone.com xx years ago when even the chinese boys could not touch my ass :relaxed: God, those were some good days. :wink:

@ProTagger1 said:
As an experienced AoE player who has been a top 5 player for the last 8-9 years (yes, there was still a very vibrant community up to 5 years ago) I don’t disagree with some balancing, but please keep in mind the following:

• don’t get rid of random maps; it is charming that there are sometimes huge imbalances in which player has more SF than the other
  • don’t nerf or change the gathering rate of berries, SF, hunt etc. These differences make the game very dynamic.
  • keep army micro as it was! Chariot archer wars are entertaining when you can dodge enemy missile fire. If this aspect is modified too much, then AoE will become like another starcraft or red alert; just standard build orders and who has most APM
  • maintain the basic feel and control of the game. AoE was unique in the sense that it allowed various different strategies, tactics and some very nifty micro-managing tricks which made the difference between elite players and reg XP or XP+

If the above mentioned is kept to, then I’m sure all the high level players which are still playing will come back and share their experience with all the new players. Don’t forget that in China alone, there are still tens of thousands of players playing AoE!

Just another Starcraft you say? I only hope that AOE can have 1/10 population of Starcraft players

@ProTagger1 said:
As an experienced AoE player who has been a top 5 player for the last 8-9 years (yes, there was still a very vibrant community up to 5 years ago) I don’t disagree with some balancing, but please keep in mind the following:

• don’t get rid of random maps; it is charming that there are sometimes huge imbalances in which player has more SF than the other
  • don’t nerf or change the gathering rate of berries, SF, hunt etc. These differences make the game very dynamic.
  • keep army micro as it was! Chariot archer wars are entertaining when you can dodge enemy missile fire. If this aspect is modified too much, then AoE will become like another starcraft or red alert; just standard build orders and who has most APM
  • maintain the basic feel and control of the game. AoE was unique in the sense that it allowed various different strategies, tactics and some very nifty micro-managing tricks which made the difference between elite players and reg XP or XP+

If the above mentioned is kept to, then I’m sure all the high level players which are still playing will come back and share their experience with all the new players. Don’t forget that in China alone, there are still tens of thousands of players playing AoE!

I totally agree with you. I used to play the ROR at a pretty decent level. Never was a top 10 player, but at several points in time I was a really good and feared player by many.

But let’s be real here. While it is true that they are revamping this great game. It is not to satisfy a bunch of old experts. Let’s not forget that the developer (/Microsoft) wants to make money with this. The only way possible to do this is to make the game as accessible as possible. So it is very likely that armo micro and stuff will be different. But we will have to see.

They are likely going to use the UPatch as a base for balance changes, so you can check it out to get some idea on what kind of adjustments there will be. http://upatch-hd.weebly.com/features.html