Gamestar: Age of Empires 4 in the post-test: What happened to the savior of real-time strategy?

I like AoE4 and have the most playtime on it on steam out of all the AoE games because I am a sucker for the franchise and have a tendency to prefer newer iterations over older ones, but yes I will not pretend that Relic has not been a huge disappointment. They didn’t even code in the basics like a colour picker.

If this game wasn’t branded and advertised as a part of the AoE franchise, I doubt it would have even a tenth of the playerbase it has now.

People can blame the management instead of the devs all they want, but clearly the devs at Relic are not as good as the devs at Forgotten Empires.

10 Likes

i guess its now clearly possible to tell apart devs that are part of aoe community from long ago, and the outside devs that only came recently and don’t have full understanding of the IP

1 Like

What happened: media advertising it as a “savior of the genre” even before it is released.

post a work submission then …

Lmao

Honestly the game need a big annoucement, e-sport tournament is not nearly enough to keep interest. Game right now feels on life support a little bit.

1 Like

yeah… 100k tournament which goes now is not big enough.
need 1000000mln

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for someone to give a valid defense for not having color pick at launch.

Simple answer is definitely going to be Management told them to make it releasable and moved most of the team to COH3. Remaining devs spent majority of their time running in circles and to this day their balance team is proof of that. (Campaign is completely different game and Skirmish is reduced to minimum choices so its “viable” for 1v1)

Color picker is simply minor feature that has low importance as their focus is clearly 1v1 and nothing else. Their preferred color option is Team Colors (Blue/Self-Red/Enemy-Yellow/Ally)

The best advertisement is the game itself, if game is good people will keep playing, pros will come and it will have a big community, do you think pubg need yo be advertised?

Game needs more variety.

More tactics variety, strategy variety, and above all more civ variety (DLC and new civs), doubling down on civ asymmetry.

1 Like

I will not help lazy devs.
And I don’t have to submit any work.
I will only do it if they will pay me.
And I will get at least 100k weekly, as I am more than capable of completing 100 lazy dev’s tasks.

1 Like

I have my distrust with Relic BUT AT LEAST is a real time strategy game.
Everytime i search for newer games with this tag, i only find a misuse of the RTS label. Always some tatic or 4x ■■■■. Some real RTS are blending sci-fi or myth-RPG like Warcraft 3

Definitely this. As i said in the past, the most experienced team was working on COH3 since the 2017 and i understand this: Company Heroes Is their IP, not Aoe.

I really Hope the next title Will be developed by Forgotten and Tantalus with a new Engine, maybe a new version of Bing or Unreal5. I wanna see a real next generation RTS with realistico graphic.

2 Likes

BS , why do they need you to pay 100k just by re-assigning some values. Like you said , it’s an easy task right?..

1 Like

PUBG was advertised to death when it first released. It also already had a player base coming from Arma III as a MOD. It also didn’t have to deal with the specter of it’s origin, simply because the Arma III mod was in Arma’s fashion, jenky at the best of times.

E-sports is not enough to keep the game alive .

They surely need another strategy , like spending the money on the game lol

2 Likes

Also don’t turn it as AoE3 because it will be almost impossible to balance.

For me, it is easy!

For “Relic” devs it is too difficult, almost impossible.

So there you go.
I hope you got your answer.

I know that it’s easy, im a modder my self and as I said before , I do not believe they are lazy , I believe they are just under-staffed

Hmm , seems like you haven’t used the content editor, literally scar code (scripting at relic) it’s the most structured way to code that I have ever seen .

You just cannot code bad in that thing .

You cannot