Garrison Walls

Hi, I’d like to ask for a feature to be added that I have long thought would be cool. We should be able to garrison walls with at least one foot unit. It makes sense if you think about the nature of how walls were used historically. Units on walls should be given a higher ground attack advantage and possibly a defensive bonus. I know it would change gameplay quite a bit, but I think it would be a good change. And I can see the flush strategies already that would take advantage of this. It would add a lot to game dynamics and diversity of strategies. Currently I use most of the mainstream tactics to win in multiplayer, but deep down I like building unique empire layouts that confuse the enemy. However with the current system speed takes advantage of complex base builders because your villagers are spending precious time building instead of gathering. This feature addition would give a little back to base builders and make the game more interesting. We already have wall ladders. Also, consider portcullis and building oil… these shouldn’t just be technologies that improve hit point or attack of a castle. A portcullis should lower quickly when an enemy unit crosses your gate doing damage… and boiling oil. Gatehouse defensive techniques used by forts in this time period should be added to the game. Right now I can build a gate and walls in a square and another gate to access the interior of my base with archers and mangonels around the edge that’s basically a gatehouse. But in doing so I’ve sacrificed a lot of time designing that structure while the enemy is just collecting more. Get garrisonable walls and add gatehouses for some added forting to the game that’s quick enough to be practical :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think this will ever be implemented, and I don’t think many would like it. Guess you’ll have to stick with Stronghold for that.

4 Likes

Is a remaster, just let the game as the original.

2 Likes

You could exploit the ■■■■ out of this, tho. Build a stone wall close to enemy wood line, put an ancher on it and BOON you got yourself a tower rush, where each tower costs only 5 stone and an ancher - and if the time to build stays the same, only one villager is needed.
Every game would be like the Siege of Alesia, pretty much.

3 Likes

There was a time in this game that we didn’t have a palisade gate or a siege tower. Town Centers used to cost only wood and not any stone. The game has been modified and rebalanced many times over the past 20 years. Gate houses, portcullises, and better wall functionality are things the dev team can consider to keep the game fresh

We didn’t have 5 expansion packs and the ability to see more than a few buildings on screen either but we kept on asking and staying interested in the game. Or the ability to reseed farms automatically instead of a queue. Or the ability to select only military in a click and drag. We’re going to have a lot more changes in units and balance tweaks when the new civs come out too

1 Like

Yes, but this particular change, garrisoning walls, would hurt gameplay a lot, just like HerianB explains.

2 Likes

May be an expansion or mod thank you, but no thanks.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Bro, chill. No need to get mad and insult people, these are just opinions (loved the meat sack & bird part, can i use this expression in the future?).
I keep not loving your idea, tho. In my mind, the game already is “immovable” enough. More fortifications is not a thing i would like to see in AOE2 - Maybe AOE3.
A good point for you is that this idea could make siege towers worth something by putting infantry on top of enemy walls - maybe capturing then, even.
Yet again, the effectiveness for siege towers at this conditions would be debatable.

1 Like

Oh nobody is mad or insulting. When someone argues and takes a hypothetical to an extreme to tear down ideas that’s demonizing. So in short, these ideas are awesome and would add a lot to the game: garrison walls, different sizes for towers, garrison gates, different size castles/forts, gatehouses with portcullis and boiling oil, siege towers garrisoned with siege weapons. Play balancing them is obviously needed for all new features

1 Like

Sorry to tell you that. But I’m also a bit sceptical about your ideas.
Right now the Structures in AoE are simple. Every Building does. what you expact it to do. And there is only one occasion, the palisade and stone Walls /Gates, where 2 different Buildings serve the same purpose. That’s a good thing. It keeps the game simple and easy to read for everybody. The Devs are mixing it up already, the Bulgarians have a new unique Bulding the Krepost. And with their Unique Units 2nd Infantry life I’m not sure if the already took the game too far.
But to add a whole new range of different defences would change the Gameplay quite a lot. AoE isn’t about a well build Fortification. That’s Stronghold! AoE is about Economy Management, Macro Techs and Unit Micro. It’s about to outsmart or outmicro your enemy on the field. Not to build the best looking Town.

2 Likes

Sounds like a balancing nightmare. This game was never meant to be 100% historically accurate either.

The DLCs have been additions and small changes. This is a massive change to the game.

3 Likes

I’m fine with the concept of Krepost but I agree with the rest of your ideas.
btw, welcome back! After 7 months.

Well I also do like the Krepost Idea, I just wanted to tell @EighteenWeapons that there are already mixing things up. I do think that the Bulgarians with Kreopst and Konnik will have a unique playstyle. And maybe the Konnik has a place there. But I think that deserves a seperat Topic.

1 Like

Indeed.
Cysion said that they asked the community about the gameplay and they said don’t change it. So any
major change in the gameplay is against the majority will.

1 Like

I didn’t say the defenses only serve for looks. You have your way to play the game and I have mine. I like to outsmart the enemy by trapping troops inside a maze of walls and then rain mangonel and archer fire on them. I agree with some of your points but I’d like to see more garrisonable buildings and walls.

This is the most broken and exploitable idea I’ve ever seen, doing that would break the game in so many ways that every civ would become a Korean tower rush ripoff.
No matter how I look at it, it’s simply transforming walls into cheap towers that can be garrisoned and then used to harass the opponent non-stop.
People that know how to play the game already use towers to deny resources from the enemy and control the map, adding a half price tower into the game would turn everything into chaos and the game would become nothing but a wall-tower war.
About boiling oil, we already have that in the form of fire towers from the campaign, and there’s a reason we can’t build them
If the way you play the game doesn’t work and puts u into a disadvantage you should try and learn a new strategy, not ask the developers to build the game around your specific playstyle

tl;dr: Nobody wants AoE2 to become Stronghold but all tiles are 5x larger

1 Like

It wouldn’t break the game. It would be fun. I’m not at a disadvantage. I like the way the game is designed and would like to see more options for towers, walls, gates, and defensive structures

It would break the game. The game would become a turtling nightmare

4 Likes

Not everyone has your play style.

2 Likes