Get this mod banned from ranked games? (buildings range indicator)

Good job on the mods, Johannes4468 :slight_smile: I’ve never really payed much attention to the attack-ground cursor before. I’ll see if I notice anything I don’t like about it next time. I might wish to try your cursor mod :smiley:

For ranked games, though, I think mods can and do provide an advantage that shouldn’t be there. Case-in-point, this tower range mod. So, I think Microsoft should disable all mods for ranked games. How high up a player gets in the rankings should be based on their abilities with the vanilla game; not, to some extent, who has the most advantageous mods running.

PS: In the AoE4 side of the forum, there was a screen-grab from one of the dev videos that made people think it was maybe showing a tower attack radius: Ability to see Tower Range visually in-game? - #13 by MrSorbias. If so, I really hope it was for testing and development purposes only, and not an actual feature they’re considering for the game.

I said it there, and I’ll say it again here:

The ability to see tower range happens in one’s mind after you play the game a bunch, and you get a general feel as to what’s too close and what’s a safe range. Having a HUD graphic to say exactly doesn’t sound fun or advisable for AoE, imo. Why stop there, why not see the firing radius of archers, ships, trebs, catapults, castles, etc? It becomes too much paying attention to a HUD overlay and not enough to the actual game landscape and items within it. Kind of like how I pay way too much attention to the mini-map and icons in Rockstar games rather than watching the actual road I’m driving, riding, or walking on."

As well, it just provides absolute line-art perimeters of things that should be more nebulous/unknown in nature.

5 Likes