Getting repeated civs through random civ picker on ranked ladder

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #:

• GAME PLATFORM: Steam

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Yesterday I was playing a few matches on ranked ladder, got one match of Liths against Turks but then after the match concluded I got matched against the same guy but we ended up getting same civs as well!

Thought my opponent was civ-picking but they (blue) said the following:

So we ended up repeating the SAME civs (not even swapping them) despite the patchnotes stating the following:

The random civilization option now temporarily excludes the last three used civilisations from the randomization pool, creating a more diverse experience for the player.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

I didn’t play enough matches to determine what’s the frequency of this issue. But I’d assume it’s not frequent.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Go to ranked
  2. Select both random civ and random enabled
  3. Play several matches until you experience it in a row I guess?

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

I should not be getting repeated civs from the random civ picker as stated by the patchnotes.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

Those were the games we played (from aoe2insights). I’m the blue-censor player.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

I’ll attach both games here
MP Replay v101.102.27465.0 @2023.09.10 013713 (1).aoe2record (2.3 MB)
MP Replay v101.102.27465.0 @2023.09.10 010314 (2).aoe2record (4.2 MB)

2 Likes

Yeah, this is definitely not fixed and probably even worse than before. Andre kept getting Huns, even though he picked random every time. 11
https://aoe2recs.com/profile/635884

Had it happen just now, here’s another example:

2 ranked matches in a row but still got the same civs! (I had both Random civ and mutual random enabled).

Huh - I assumed the patch notes only meant the Random civ change would only work for Ranked games, but perhaps it’s just broken altogether.

I’ve been playing in custom game lobbies, always with Random civ selected, and I tend to get several repeated civs as well. I’d say the civ variety is actually worse than before the intended change, as immediately after I started randoming the same civ several times in a row. But I thought it might just be a coincidence and nothing for unranked games was actually changed. I’ve suspected otherwise since then, as this has been a frequent ‘problem’ right now.

The team is aware of this issue, thanks for your report :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is also happening in not ranked games. I keep getting the same 3 civs over and over!. I suggest to extend this feature to all matches and not only ranked :slight_smile: (If it’s not already implemented). It’s not fair to have it only for ranked

2 Likes