Graphics preferences for AoE IV

The default zoom in AoE3 is not just different; it’s simply terrible. First thing you should do upon opening the game is go to settings and change it all the way to max. Unfortunately, most of the default settings are really the opposite of optimal and should be toggled over.

@Eininfar said:
Pretty sure I read that they are going with their Essence engine, which is not surprising. 3d is almost certainly the way they’ll go, as the DE games will cover the 2d bases. With that said, I don’t think AOE games need to be on the very bleeding edge of visuals. Nice graphics, yeah, cool physics, sure, but it’s more important that the game run well.

What I do want, however, is clarity. One of the reasons I did not like Company of Heroes was that I found it hard to make out what was going on on-screen. Though I should clarify that I do not mean that I want them to go in the direction they did with DOW 3 (IE, way too far at the expense of the games ambiance).

agree. aoe4 needs crystal clear, crisp, slick and sick graphics that are easy on the eye. It needs to be easy to see whats going on. Im honestly a little worried they are using the essence engine. aom is cool because it uses the bang engine. You can make maps yourself and add triggers in the editor. you literally get developer tools. and I feel like they might restrict that in aoe4. lets hope they dont start selling scenarios for money like in aoeo

One of the reasons Age of empires online failed because it’s artwork only got a 5.5 from most reviewers.

I want AOE4 to score at least a 9.0, which means at least an 8 for visuals.

Make AOE4 extremely beautiful or fail.

@BAJOLI said:
One of the reasons Age of empires online failed because it’s artwork only got a 5.5 from most reviewers.

AoE Online technically had good “graphics” but had really “cartoonish” style, which made it seem like it was meant for 5 year olds. I agree it was terrible

To be honest, I would be happy with the level of (textural) detail in AoE:DE. Even little things like farms are beautiful. It just needs to have a modern physics/graphics engine and lighting, which DE lacks since it still uses the original 2D engine.

I actually read that a relic game insider was talking about a new updated game engine (essence 5.0 or something like that). It should be a good thing for aoe4 if it is done correctly.

@Teutonic_knight said:

@BAJOLI said:

AoE Online technically had good “graphics” but had really “cartoonish” style, which made it seem like it was meant for 5 year olds. I agree it was terrible

To be honest, I would be happy with the level of (textural) detail in AoE:DE. Even little things like farms are beautiful. It just needs to have a modern physics/graphics engine and lighting, which DE lacks since it still uses the original 2D engine.

still better than this

Please don’t push this to any limits… the game should offer the very least a satisfying experience with an average computer… not everyone has gaming machines or is willing to buy new ones to enjoy the game. 60$ are enough already.
Most of us who still love the old titles are able to enjoy them on both quality graphics and great performance because they are old… ruining this balance completely will have a great negative impact…

1 Like

Now i think pushing with all, with 2020 hardware and bad performance.

1 Like

@Augustusman said:

@Teutonic_knight said:

@BAJOLI said:

still better than this

That screenshot is from a game called: “empires apart”. It was made by two people who have more of a heart for old school RTS games than microsoft will ever have. The nations they put into empires apart are actually far more creative then most rts games.

So it is easy to judge it on one screenshot, but it is actually cool that two programmers can make a game like that.

@BAJOLI said:

@Augustusman said:

@Teutonic_knight said:

@BAJOLI said:

still better than this

That screenshot is from a game called: “empires apart”. It was made by two people who have more of a heart for old school RTS games than microsoft will ever have. The nations they put into empires apart are actually far more creative then most rts games.

So it is easy to judge it on one screenshot, but it is actually cool that two programmers can make a game like that.

Was made by 3 guys, that not listen to the people and launch the game in early poor stage.
The Publisher try to buy influencers to sell this crap.

I wouldn’t really care. I’d be happy with Age of Empires 3 graphics for Age of Empires 4, as long as the gameplay is on point.