Great job Devs

question: like why do devs love absolutely, like LOVE camping civs, and want everyone to play a camping civ? Is it the money from little kids who play this game who love camping? is it greed? is it power? Thanks for making this game all camping. Guess I’ll play dutch forever.

2 Likes

What do you mean by camping civs, do you mean civs people use to turtle

1 Like

I feel your pain, the camping aka turtle civ meta is irritating beyond words.

3 Likes

The rush-friends are with you!

4 Likes

Gotta play harder++++

I disagree, inca started off as that style of civ and since the rework they’ve done everything possible to move them away from that.

2 Likes

Make TCs 600w Again🏅

1 Like

Improved buildings moved to age 4 would be evidence that they are trying to reduce/balance camping/turtling.

3 Likes

It’s not like there arnt strong rush Civs, Hausa, Spain, Lakota, Russia. And others that can rush, Ottomans, Incas, Aztec, Haudenosaunee. Just like there are boom and turtle civs.

2 Likes

Malta

20 characters.

2 Likes

Lol, i’m probably one of the people that like to kinda turtle/boom instead of rush, and i actually despise both rush strategy and rushers that do only that… I have not come here to say that you are all bad mind you…
I loved mexico original haciendas trickles, and it suited how i wanted to play perfectly, but then it got nerfed… So i adapted…
Now, if it is true that against rush one solution is to git gud then even against turtle the solution is the same, git gud and don’t just always try to rush

2 Likes

Funnily it also does a good crossbow pike rush as well as it’s ability to turtle

Yes it’s a Rock Paper Scissors dynamic. Rush has advantage over a boom, boom has a advantage over a turtle and turtle has advantage over a rush. Get to greedy in eco might get taken out by an army. Try to do a quick attack get pushed back by a good defence. Go defensive while your opponent ignores you and just booms. Certainly a beautiful dance

3 Likes

You need to apply early pressure (rush) to prevent their eco from getting too strong, meaning they can’t properly dedicate the resources to a strong defensive posture.

I like turtle style civs myself and malta doesn’t feel great. Fixed guns are too much population for a start and the shipment of 1 fixed gun is terrible in fortress age with it being a 700 resource value so equivalent to an age 2 shipment, the card needs something else obviously 2 fixed guns would be too much value but they should make it 1 fixed gun and then something like fixed guns build faster or have x amount extra range/hp or cost 2 less population.

2 Likes

It’s like a two tower shipment age 2. Under valued resource wise at a benefit of being able to choose were to place them I guess

Actually, I feel AoE3 panders heavily to rush players. Not only are there far more civs adept at rush strats than turtle strats, but the hard caps the game places on TC buildings early game, the fixed cap on outposts and their very limited damage output, plus a hard cap on water units are all measures intended to make turtling less appealing and rushing easier.

8 Likes

And how happy I am to be able to break a tower with a few units, without having to make siege.

In AoE2 you could waste an entire army by killing it against a tower.

With AoM that changed radically, with a few units you destroyed buildings with ease. And what a pleasure to break a tower with a giant of the mountains!

2 Likes

Totally agree.

In aoe3 only the civs that benefit from the turtle style can do it, and although turtle is supposed to beat rush, a very fast rush can mess everything up, and a few ff cannons too.

the meta has always been very aggressive, both rush’s and ff’s, and later a very solid meta of semi ff’s was established, but that is increasingly changing towards the eco game.

The tortoise style has been successful in many situations but is the least used strat.

4 Likes

Someone should make a tier list for the three main play styles, be better then just the linear ones at the moment. For example Dutch are at least an A in booming and a decent turtling civ, but a weak rush.