In a typical online game I sit at 144 fps for around the first 10-15 minutes. Gradually the FPS drops off during the next 10-15 minutes until it sits at around 25 FPS. Once it drops below 60, I start noticing an increased delay in unit commands. I’ve tried this with just AI on multiplayer and with a friend.
It’s worth noting that doing exactly the same game in single player doesn’t have the same performance hit. I can maintain at least 60 FPS in single player using exactly the same settings as online.
Create any multiplayer game with AI. The issue doesn’t appear to care for the server the game is hosted on nor any mods or map types. I’ve also tried turning down the graphics settings whilst in-game and it hasn’t made any difference.
I was going to edit my original post but I can’t find the option on my mobile, but it appears the issue is strictly limited to the host of the game rather than other players.
My friend and I are trying to find different things to test, but would be good to get a little direction from the Devs. I’m itching to see a resolution to the issue so I’m happy to test various things to narrow down the problem.
I also have this issues in Sep 2020. Played 3 v 3 with a friend + AI against 3 AIs. Singleplayer constant 144 FPS but in MP it just drops to 20 and stays for a few minutes. Unplayable and I haven’t seen any resolves on this topic either <.<
A 2d game with almost the same mechanics as the 1999 version performing badly on modern gaming computers… It’s insane! I think they need to measure exactly which feature is using how much CPU, GPU, RAM and disk resources on some standard machines, and then try to optimize or remove said features…
Some basic things like an option for a fps cap (the original game was constant 20fps) and the possibility of importing graphics on the same level as what the original had would probably fix performance for everyone I assume, without the complexities of trying to track down what was it that was done to break the game performance like this.