Hotkey Problem

:arrow_forward: In the options of the game, when i try to modify selection to configure my hotkeys there is a bug that unable me to do so.

• GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • **OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Impossibility to modify my hotkey with what i want even if i haven’t use the symbol yet. I don’t know if it’s linked to any update you #### ### evrerything was working find till now. I cannot play anymore with this problem…

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Go to the options of the game
  2. tap modify selection to change hotkey for example : creation Villager in the forum.
  3. Tap letter Z and nothing change or sometimes the letter W appear instead it depends on what symbol you choose.
    Again, i never experienced this problem and i’ve been playing every day for a year to this game on this computer.
    Nothing changed on my computer neither

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

I should be able to modify the selection of my hotkey with any letter of my keyboard i want without any problem

3 Likes

Same problem to me, i cant play any more

2 Likes

Same happening here. Every button I press changes to W. I can only change the hotkeys to Ctrl-W, Shift-W and Ctrl-Shift-W.

On Steam, Linux (Ubuntu 20.04), and Proton 7.0-6

2 Likes

same. since it seems to be linux only problem i think were screwed until somebody with some deep wine knowledge can fix it. Im gonna try some different proton versions, but so far have to use an old proton just to get it to not crash in multiplayer so i doubt will find anything.

EDIT: I was using proton version 7 and proton_aoe2de_mpfix before. I switched to the experimental proton version and now I can set hotkeys. Now testing if I can play multiplayer without crashes…

EDIT 2: IT WORKS! multiplayer doesn’t crash with proton experimental for me now and hotkey changing works. I am currently using the github script i was using before, and proton experimental.

2 Likes

I’ve tried using Proton Experimental, however it’s stuck in “Preparing to launch” step. Have you faced this bug?

1 Like

I am witnessing the same issue, but using CrossOver on Mac M1 to play AoE via Steam. Any suggestions? :slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

I actually found a workaround (kind of).

The bugs seem to be only on Proton 7.0 version. I switched to Proton 6 and now I’m able to set hotkeys (Similar solution from @simon). I haven’t tried multiplayer yet

EDIT:

Multiplayer doesn’t work by default (like Proton 7.0). But using proton_aoe2de_mpfix works fine