Yes, Maybe my profile icons made it clear but I’ve been playing a lot of Abbasids and the extra flame armor mechanic with the golden age is quite enjoyable for me.
Now the house of Wisdom/Abbasids have been very keen on the Fresh Foodstuffs Towncenter spamming population boom strategy.
However, Im somewhat disillusioned that the other wings just are not up to par. So I ran this thought experiment to review and change the spots of some upgrades.
- Fresh foodstuffs-This is the most viable meta first-tier choice, Its great nothing to add
- Agriculture - Not much to add to this, It looks really nice, somewhat clashes/competes with the mill upgrade.
I wish it had something more original design but that’s it.
- Improved processing- Solid late-game eco boost, alls fine.
- Camel support - This upgrade gives +1 +1 to Infantry only, as an opener/age 2 transition spears or men at arms won’t be having too big of an Impact.However, if I suggest giving this to archers, the current archer opener+ Camel aura for hostile calvary is already very lethal and that’d be broken.Im aware this upgrade essentially allows you to have a free blacksmith armor upgrade for cheap but it’s still lacking.
- Camel rider shields-I heard many bugs with camels but ignoring that, spamming camels at this age isn’t still to particularly vital.
- Bootcamp-A very good upgrade, a 15% boost to barracks infantry and archers.
Increase Camel support to +2/2 from 1/1
Swap out the ages of upgrades to: Bootcamp, Camel support, Camel rider shields in that order
Swap out the Pikeman range upgrade with perhaps Camel support, this way the upgrade is more accessible
without picking this wing. The pike range upgrade has been somewhat “meh” to me personally but I’ve had better players tell me the impact is there even if I can’t/they cant feel it.
Plus anyone at age two who wants to use the military path will want to have that pike upgrade.
(Half related question: Why are camel riders at age 3? I cant see a real justification for this)
- Preservation of knowledge-This is a very good upgrade, It’s not particularly weak but it’s just shot out of the park with “fresh foodstuff.” Upgrade in the economic wing.
- Medical centers-This upgrade, I want to like it, I really do want to like it but in its current implementation, I really cant.
- Faith-I don’t use/have not used Imams enough as I haven’t found a time and place they are viable to spam and don’t get sniped by something etc, I have no real comment to make on this.But please tell me what you think.
Culture wing suggestions:
Preservation of knowledge: Make it also reduce the research rate as well or Impact aging up.
This can be the fast age up/tech path but you would lack the eco boom of the economic path.
Increase its numbers to 50%? (This Im not a huge fan of)
Swap Preservation of knowledge with Medical Centers and expand on Medical Centers.
Now right now it only impacts keeps and the Are of Effect isn’t that great.
Rework it like this: All structures that cost STONE will now heal nearby units.
So Keeps, Towncenters and Towers with the upgrades.
As for heal rate, I feel it’s low but It’s free so maybe that’s alright? At worst rather then a full buff I’d ask for the Imam/Religious unit upgrade to Impact the heal rate of the keeps as well.
This is my preferred change as after getting raided, nobody really has the time to heal their villagers with a monk anyways. This can help them recover and establish a more defensive playstyle.
- Spice roads-This one is very equal to other civs, which on paper is great for balancing but again cannot compete with fresh food stuff.
- Armoured caravans-This is a good mid-game upgrade, It gets the job done as a “just in case” resource sink
or you’d generally add more protection to your trade lines then rely on this armor.But again I really enjoy putting keeps on my trade routes and enjoy this upgrade even against enemy players.
- Grand bazaar-This upgrade is amazing, It’s one of my favorites in the game, It gives flexibility and also late game stone viability. Which can equal to more gold given stone is limited or more structures.
So on paper, the trade wing seems decent, and I’ll admit when I started playing Abbasids at first I actually went for spice road trade rush. But man after I tasted that forbidden tasty mango named “fresh foodstuffs” It all changed.I started to enjoy it, but after a good amount of games, I got somewhat tired and bored as other factions have two landmark choices (lol @ England’s Healing church landmark) I felt like I HAVE TO pick this.
This MUST be my choice…Or I’ll fall behind, yet asking to nerf this would be met with great backlash from pros/higher tier players than me. Im good but Im no legend…
Instead, I wrote this post that’ll most likely be forgotten among many others here.
But here are my suggestions for trade wing:
Increase spice trade bonus or make it a speed bonus. This can Impact Gold per minute and also help its survivability.30% extra speed with the armor upgrade can make your trade unique.However, I can only hope this change makes it more competitive with foodstuffs.
This one I’ll ask for you to take a deep breath and consider as at first glance it sounds a bit wild
Swap Grand Bazar and Spice trade’s position.
This way the Abbasids can be trading for more total resources while getting the flexibility like the Saracens did in AOE 2 with their market upgrade.
Not only will you be able to choose a secondary resource to collect,which could be food or wood or stone
You’ll be getting more out of your traders and using this bonus so you can send your villagers to gather something else or something your lacking.
Imagine early game swapping of resource bonuses rather than seeing this upgrade at Imperial age just swapped for stone and forgotten (Like I do or other Abbasids I watch)
One could argue this upgrade at the second age won’t compare with the pure 30% gold bonus (or extra resource bonus) one gets with this upgrade and that’s fair. That is a pothole in my suggestion but I am not here to reinvent the wheel. Although my post comes from a balance/competitive play standpoint Im not going to act like Im the spirit of the law and have all the numbers.
You could add something to Grand Bazar like a cheaper build time or faster build time if you think it’d be worse than 30% extra gold I guess? Im open to other bonuses to grand bazar.
So thank you for taking the time to listen or merely read my post.
I hope you all have a great day and enjoy AOE 4 as much as I do