How about an integrated tip system?

Perhaps in a version post release of AoE DE the developers might consider an integrated tip system for novice gamers? Like “Don’t build there it’s a swamp!” :smiley: What say you?

Certainly some more up-to-date tool tips would be nice (that you can toggle on/off somewhere). It would be nice to hover the cursor over a unit to see a description (e.g., heavy cavalry, good against archers) or something like that.

It would also be nice to see some extra detail on how damage is calculated. E.g., 5 damage x2 vs archers, x0.75 vs infantry (or something like that). I’m not sure how damage is calculated in AOE1 but when I get into a match I certainly will be very interested!

There should definitely at least be a tutorial. I remember there beeing a “learning campaign” in the original AOE.

@Interjection said:
Certainly some more up-to-date tool tips would be nice (that you can toggle on/off somewhere). It would be nice to hover the cursor over a unit to see a description (e.g., heavy cavalry, good against archers) or something like that.

It would also be nice to see some extra detail on how damage is calculated. E.g., 5 damage x2 vs archers, x0.75 vs infantry (or something like that). I’m not sure how damage is calculated in AOE1 but when I get into a match I certainly will be very interested!

I agree with you. In AOE2 the tooltips aren’t very helpful since almost all units have hidden damage multipliers against certain units.

I think it’d do good to have a sort of tip system, one that you can disable if you want. Taking a page out of AOE3’s book for the counter multipliers wouldn’t be a bad idea, but I personally never liked how it made the tab look so cluttered. If they could include that information (same goes for any sorts of tips) somewhere, without cluttering or taking away from another part of the screen, I think that’d be great.

@Superiumentarius said:
There should definitely at least be a tutorial. I remember there beeing a “learning campaign” in the original AOE.

Yes, there was the Ascent of Egypt Learning Campaign. Pretty fun to play even after learning the game, too :slight_smile:

Tutorials and learning campaigns are good, but I hope that the studio takes a bit of a fresh look at how they can impart knowledge and teach the players skills while in game. Information delivery has gone a long way since the the 90’s and there are many excellent techniques to convey to the player in a fluid and natural manner. Most are so subtle they the player doesn’t even notice (like certain UI choices).

Most of us have probably experienced it with a well done game, sub-consciously picking up how to play it on the fly, and have bad memories of the other ones (allll the walls of text and clicking to read through tiny info boxes… yesh :stuck_out_tongue: )

Want to teach basic “rock-paper-scissors” elements for units? Maybe in the tutorial, change the cursor colour while hovering over an enemy (e.g. red= weak, white=normal, green=strong) Optimal building placement? Have an overlay appear on the ground, greying out bad/cramped areas to build.
These are just random examples of cause :slight_smile: Some may already be in various AoE games, it’s been a while since I have played some of them.