How did you get to know AOE3 or the saga in general?

1997 Age of Empires - Wikipedia

Although maybe he could have had an antisipado acseso or something like that, but I don’t know.

1 Like

I was eleven years and I was a big fan of pantheons and mythologies from ancient cultures. My mom gift me Age of Mythology back in 2004 and I automatically fell in love with that game even before I played it (the box art and the installation with the different units descriptions was everything!). The next steps were AOE1, AOE2 and when it came out, AOE3. This franchise changed my life! The influence from this games (and HOMAM and Sid Meier’s games) was so important that I’ve decided to study anthropology and now I work with andean mythology. I even have a tatoo that says ‘πρόσταγμα’ (próstagma)!

2 Likes

May have been 1997 actually, like I said in the post, my memory about the exact date is fuzzy. I just remember it was during my university years. Thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

I want more anecdotes and that’s why I revive this forum, since we are about to receive a new expansion.

I grew up in a nuclear household and my uncles used to play Age of Empires 2 with their friends a lot, so I played it on my youngest uncle’s computer. I discovered AoE3 years later, by the time I already had my own PC.

1 Like

Yo habre tenido unos 12 o 11 años más o menos por haya el lejano año 2012 y lo primero que jugué del age of empires 3 fue una demo de the warchiefs en donde solo podías jugar con los alemanes e iroqueses y la metrópolis no llegaba mas allá de nivel 10 además de que solo podías jugar 2 escenarios de la campaña de nathaniel black xd, fue bastante entretenido y una vez termine solo quería mas después de un tiempo recordé como se llamaba el juego y lo descargue pirata por allá entre el 2014 o 2015 y apenas en el año 2017 cuando cree mi cuenta de steam me compre el juego de manera legal.

1 Like

Age of Mythology is, IMO, the best AOE game. It has the perfect mix of mechanics:

• Rock-Paper-Scissors combat without too many unit types.
  • Asymmetrical design without giving each civ too different of a gameplay loop, instead relying on unit type distribution and unique economies. Despite their differences, all the civs still feel like you’re playing an Age game.
  • The fact that your major god changes how your civ works, essentially turning each civ into three civs with the same common core but different playstyles.
  • The fact that each age-up bonus comes with unique units and techs that can further change your playstyle.
  • Some of the best campaign scenario designs. A Fine Plan, More Bandits, Bad News, Strangers, Old Friends, and Union are still some of my favourite singleplayer missions in any RTS.