How is the game for players with 4GB RAM setups now?

I use HDD and I get 60FPS on a 4v4 game and about 140FPS on a 1v1 with UHD and on Ultra. (And I have 16GB RAM on a laptop)

I hardly doubt that the virtual console is taken in consideration when setting up the expectations to run the game.

Thank you for adding your specs. They look very decent to me btw. I really would like to know the model of your HDD and how much free space there is left. Or maybe your laptop contains Intel Optane cache. Could you share that too?

1 Like

Not sure this helps but the only thing I know about my HDD is that it is 5400RPM.
And I have 35.4 GB free of 343 GB partition that I installed AOE2DE in it. (And about 250GB free of the entire 931.5GB)

Thanks, nice of you to say so

1 Like

That’s weird, I mean if you use Steam you’re forced to have it open while playing so it sounds logical they should take it into account. But anyway with the new update it might become irrelevant entirely.

Free space on your system drive is close to the minimal recommendations of at least 10% or 2.5x times internal memory size though. As long as you don’t experience crash issues it’s okay of course. :slight_smile:

You are, but the resource consumption to run Steam on background while playing a game it’s so neglegible that it is just taken out of consideration as a matter of impact.

Or at least it should be. I suppose that the huge update you refer to is the one that brought the library revamp. I haven’t see any any complaits about it before yours, and didn’t experienced any problems with it myself. But if it is affecting your experience playing Steam games I really encourage you to dig after simmilar reports and workarounds to see if you can get any help on that.

1 Like

I have 4GB RAM and a very modest CPU. The game has recently started running much more smoothly (although load times are still very long for me). Settings are on low but on my small laptop screen it still looks just fine. The recent patches have definitely made things more enjoyable for me

4 Likes

Hey MetroSiamang6, welcome to the forums and thanks a lot for sharing!

I am glad to hear that the game works for you.

As I asked for @CactusSteak2171: do you mind also sharing some more info?

1 Like

Sure thing.

I mainly play single player 1v1 against the AI, and campaigns. I haven’t played online yet since the Dec patch.

Performance in-game is generally good, although the opening cutscene often crashes if I try to skip it (sometimes even just moving the mouse causes issues), the game can hang a bit on loading screens, and I can easily sit on the loading screen for 30sec to a minute before the game starts.

When I click start game on a 1v1 random map against the AI, often my FPS dips down to 1 for a few seconds, and then goes up again just before the game starts. In-game FPS seems to range from 40-80, depending on how many units are onscreen. I guess I should count myself lucky that the best performance is in-game for me!

2 Likes

If the intro doesn’t work well for you you can go in the game’s properties (if it’s on Steam), then you type SKIPINTRO in the launch option to, well, skip it.

2 Likes

Ah, great! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should consider this then, thanks for the info

4gb ram and intel hd 620 gpu.
It can run the game.but don’t wait for the a great performance.sometimes game crashing,can’t play mp game,very long loading screens(lol the game opens in 8 minutes)
If u have a this system,you should buy aoe2 hd.

3 Likes