How many "new" Units and Buildings will AoE4 actually introduce?

How many “new” Units and Buildings will AoE4 actually introduce?

Well so far in the trailers we have seen them just re-introduce old units with new tricks and changed tech-tree build orders, but no actual visible new stuff.

1 Like

Unit: Bees nest.

Building: Oovo.

Just one of each for your amusement. Watch the trailers for many more.

4 Likes

the real question actually is - are monks going to say - wololo

3 Likes

? Dude, Age2 and Age4 are both set in middle ages, they aren’t going to both have unique units for each game. Of course they will reuse units. Sure, they will add new units with different abilities and such which will be interesting.

3 Likes

I think they will be more realistic to what really the monks say etc. But I have seen at the end of the fan preview a monk interacting with the relic and saying “Wololo” xD
So yes, the Monks will say Wololo.

2 Likes

based on the screen shots of villager build ques, it looks like nothing new for buildings is really being added as for the standard Euro city.

I had wished I saw a Inn/ pub (more population, coin trickle, mercs)
buildable bridges over shallow water.
maybe a well, adds XP (or some other resource trickle)
more beautifying town buildings that give passive bonuses.

I guess we do see a glimpse of this with the road mechanic.

1 Like

Also the Gur (Mongol house/dropsite), the Imperial Official (Chinese tax collector), the Fire Lancer (Chinese cavalry), and the Scholar (Indian researcher).

2 Likes

8 new landmarks for each civ with their own bonuses.

2 Likes

Archers and Crossbows are different units with different roles now, so that’s essentially a new unit.
Also some other units work differently now. Chu-Ku-Nu have a low range now and don’t work as an Archer/Crossbow replacement anymore. The other Chinese unique units like the Fire Lance or the Grenadier are also something that AoE2 didn’t have.
Magudai can shoot while moving making them play very different to any AoE2 unit.
Siege towers drop units on top of walls so they are essentially a completely different unit. Catapults lost the ability to move so they are different too.
Cannons also seem to be direct fire instead of indirect fire like the AoE2 Bombard Cannons, practically a new unit too.

We don’t know how navel combat work yet so there are a lot of potential new units.

And we only know 4/8 civilisations and we don’t know for sure that we’ve seen all their units. Is the Delhi unit roster completely standard besides the two Elephant units?

4 Likes

there seems to be a kind of artillery/ballistics related smith which would be new.

also the roads are jsut automatically placed, which is neat I think

1 Like

and also the Grenadier for chinese and the khan for the mongols.

1 Like

Finally. So many strategy games treat crossbow as “superior bow”.