How much is flawed with the meta, when even teutons go xbow?

Disagree. MAA is not viable unit in feudal age. MAA is only useful in super early feudal age, before any other feudal age unit appears. While scouts, archers, pikes and skirms are useful at any moment of feudal age.
Militia line is useless since mid feudal age until mid imperial age.

Well that’s better than many other units…

Regarding xbows: I don’t get why there is so much hate / dismissal to archery here. For decades the game was completely dominated by knights and nobody complained. And it’s even not that the archer civs would dominate. It’s only mayans on arabia that are so strong and that’s due to being completely overtuned with boni, not only archers.
Currently still the best civs for the most part on arabia are camel, knight and eagle civs with good eco boni.

Because LS can’t raid like knights and xbows can. Because you can’t force fights with LS unless you add siege and get a decent mass.

1 Like

In warcraft3 range units are generally more expensive than starting melee units. And starting melee units have utilities like defend for footmen

In other words range balls are more expensive and melee has other utility. Thats how they get diversity in the unit comp

In aoe2, crossbowman tech should be higher cost, wood cost per unit for crossbows should be higher. And longswords should have the defend or shield wall ability. Increase peirce armour by 3 temporarily but speed of the unit is reduced by 50%. It can be toggled on and off

I dont think shield wall will be that OP because the archer player can resort to mangonells to badaboom the slow infantry as well

1 Like

They recently buffed upgrade costs and i think upgrade times, but without buffs to the unit they just made it easier to switch into a worthless unit.

Celts have speedy militia and its not enough to make them used in pushes. So another buff would be needed. Perhaps cost. Id like to see militia have a small bonus vs mounted units.

Militia are slower than halbs, id like them a bit faster. So halbs are slower but do more bonus damage, which is good for a defensive unit. Then militia are a bit faster and do some bonus vs buildings and stable units which is better for pushing/attacking. Militia line would still need to be paired with siege or skirms. But we would have longsword seige pushes instead of pike seige. Maybe with those buffs the longsword siege pushes would be OP.

Halbs stay at speed of 1. Militia goes faster, not sure how much maybe 1.1.

sounds like MAA is viable in Feudal age then. You are wrong that they fall off btw, opponent needs to make archers to begin with, forcing archers is good in itself, opponent could be something like Bulgarians where Archers don’t scale, or even Berbers where the player wants to do Scouts → Knights and skip archers.

MAA are incredibly useful even in mid- to late-Feudal to force micro time on Skirmishers which also allows you to maintain map control with MAA + Archers (hence why the strat is called, again, Men at arms into archers :wink:. If you throw the MAA under the TC at 13 min mark because you got frustrated that opponent outplayed you with small walls and you found 0 damage, that’s on you. Learn to send the MAA at home and use them later.

And I mean you can make the argument of “if it doesn’t work early, then the strat is bad” for literally ANY strat. 1 TC all in Castle Age → doesn’t work early, get outboomed and die (Berbers + Franks trash! Their 1 TC all in doesn’t work every game!). Turks fast Imp on Arena, take too much damage on Janissaries and don’t have the eco to catch up (Janissaries trash!).

Almost like 1/2 the game is coming up with a strat and 1/2 the game is actually executing the strat…

so faster than Archers while being labeled “weak vs Archers”?

Might as well rename them Eagle Warriors then, speed wouldn’t be far off anyway. 1.15 for Eagle Warriors, 1.1 for Militia, I just wonder whether you guys play the game at all.

Not to mention that obviously 1.1 would be rly strong in Castle age for raiding/vs Crossbows, but it would literally be broken in Dark Age where you could bodyblock basically any villager to their death. Have you guys ever wondered why Celts were nerfed to have their +15% speed boost start in Feudal age only?

Thowing a collassal fit over me saying “maybe 1.1” is hilarious. It was a hypothetical. Also maybe the speed boost comes with longswords.

Isnt the complaint that they are a bad counter to eagles beacuse they are so much slower? Maybe 1.1 is too fast and maybe its just fast enough to make them useful. You dont actually know, but you pretend you do so you can call me stupid. Whatever makes you feel good bruv.

The point is they need some sort of large buff to make the unit good instead of making it easier to tech into them while they are worthless.

If youre gonna make them that good thry need to have some of their strengths taken away.

Eagles have lower base damage, health, arent gold efficient and train as slow as Knights.

The fact that the unit sees use evsn in imp despite its speed shows it has its uses and isnt worthless, despite your claims. Making it much faster also will have impacts on infantry uu speeds

1 Like