How to balance Indian elephants

Indians already have the Elephant Archer to fit the “historical accuracy” though.

1 Like

So?
Mongols also already had the Hussars as well as the Knights for the historical accuracy (Hussars/Knights IRL used lances)

yet they retroactively got Cuman/Tatar Steppe Lancers from the devs for thematic and historical reasons, that too with a special +30% Hp bonus

As far as I can see, you’re on really flimsy ground here

1 Like

From what I could gather, Steppe Lancer could be seen as a “transition unit” for the Mongols, helping them between their early eco bonus to their late game army of cav archer and siege.

Sure they have the option of knight or light cav, but the steppe lance comes out as a better alternative, since it strikes a middle ground between the 2 (and mongols lack paladins, so knights will hit a dead end anyway).

So regarding the topic,

Just like the Mongols retroactively got SL line(that too 130% HP), Indians should also be given BE line. It is literally the exact same situation and logic.

1 Like

and just like then, i fully expect to see you campaign to have Indians new unit that got added buffed to usable levels.

1 Like

It’s not. As I just said, Steppe Lancer acts as a early Castle raid unit, since the knight line is more costly but also a dead end in Imperial.
That logic doesn’t apply for BE in an Indian army.

1 Like

I’m not talking of gameplay reasons
I am talking of logic related to civilization design and theme

1 Like

Indian civ design is based around the massive economic development level it had at the time, which easily justifies cutting all Heavy Cavalry from their Tech Tree, due to balance reasons.

Indians are an Eco Boom civ, and the most effective at it.

Ok then, civilization logic and design. So remove Iron casting and Blast furnace from the Aztec tech tree, since they only used copper and bronze for their weapons. Also, scrap their Siege Workshop, since they weren’t involved in siege warfare. Sounds logical no?

1 Like

That has never happened in the game before

But Mongols getting Steppe Lancers retroactively for Historical Accuracy HAS happened
which is why similarly, Indians can also retriactively get Battle Elephants for Historical Accuracy

1 Like

Actually no, not even that. They used Jade, Silex and Obsidian.
Meso Americans had no military metalurgy whatsoever. They were literally a Stone Age tool people, but with the social and artistic development of an Iron Age people.

1 Like

More than historical accuracy, Mongols got Steppe Lancer for gameplay purposes. Historical accuracy isn’t a sound argument anyway, since it doesn’t apply to a lot of civilizations.

I’m still waiting for an argument about how Indian Battle Elephant would make sense from a gameplay perspective.

1 Like

Their haunting bonus was nerfed a bit and they received steppe lancer.

Indians shorefishing bonus was nerfed a bit.

I can see Parthnan point. Also, i like indians nd battle elephants. But my intuition thinks that adding BE to them could have fatal consequences, mainly in maps with lots of shore fish, because of their booming potential.

In order for indians to have BE, i think the civ should be split in 2. One civ focused in camels, and the other one in elephants. This also would stop indians being the only one civ with unic architecture set.

However, indians right now are quite balanced. There is no need for breaking a balanced civ at all. So the only solution is adding a new indian civ with other name, and let maybe change the indibs name to other one.

And EAs wer buffed. Also, the Fishing bonus was nerfed because Vills now deliver Food at the Docks.

True, overall is a bit nerf for indians in shore maps, although they are still the best there.

I forgot the EA buff lol

1 Like

What’s this reasoning, you could slap eles on any civ and say that it would allow them to do that 11

Indians aren’t forced to go camel. They have other options like cav archers, and if you added eles, well they would have eles too.

Then I look forward for your ardent support of Spanish arbs and genitours, I bet it’s going to be fair and just too. What about Byzantine siege onager + siege engineers? Chinese BBC? The possiblities are endless!

Seriously, I’ve yet to find why 1 historical innacuracy is absorbing everyone’s attention while the others have been accepted as part of the game’s identity.

In my humble opinion the devs shouldn’t have made this as it opened the flow for the rest. At least they could use a pre-existing bonus, while if they gave the pierce armour and bonus damage against buildings of Indian camels to their eles people would notice it’s just Burmese eles for free but worse, and would find it quite boring and uninspired.

3 Likes

It seems Elephant Archer remains situational unit. I am wondering if it is feasible to change Elephant Archer to opposite to Karambit Warrior.

It takes up 1.5/2 population slots but has 2 archers on the elephant ,independently targeting and shooting. This makes EA has double atk but lower population efficiency with same training time. This may make Elephant archer more useful and unique to other units.

1 Like

How about:

• Give BE and EBE to Indians.
  • Get rid of Imperial Camel.
  • Change their gunpowder unique tech to some sort of elephant tech instead. Maybe increase BE or EA range?
  • Get rid of fish bonus?
  • Take away last archer armour?
1 Like

this won’t happen, they aren’t going to completely redesign a civ, this has been made abundantly clear.

giving Battle Elephants range sounds completely against what battle elephants are supposed to do.

1 Like

Alrite im outta idea then :joy: