How to deal with kamayuks + Skirms with Huns?

I did some testing myself and using 2H swordsmen really doesn’t look like the best option. Basically they can win convincingly only if the Inca player doesn’t micro and is unlucky with his unit’s AI (ie.they decide to attack an enemy that is too far away and lose tons of time getting hit) Otherwise Kamayuks always win. And lastly, you NEED to have 1.5 times the number to even deal sufficient damage. 20 Kamayuks vs 25 2HS is too biased in favor of the Kamayuk.

yeah definitely really close even on equal gold spent, so would have to rely on mangonels or multiple attacking areas (to force the incan to split his ball) to pull it off… kamayuks are great vs almost everything with their PA and ranged melee, but it seems they rely alot on clustering which means mangonel line should inherently be better vs them if they try to rely on the clustering…

something else to factor is the rate that 1 can out produce 2h swords, can easily drop down 10 rax, vs 2-3 castles (and the incan wouldnt necessarily assume the hun is going 2h swords, so will be spending time/effort on skirms and whatnot)

not saying it will always work, but just trying to find ways of dealing with late game inca…

I did some tests too. I did castle age instead of imp because I feel like once imp you are already dead so you should try to finish the game in castle. I compared long swords vs regular kamayuk. Seems almost even 5v5 or 10v10. They really start dominating the more numbers they have. In 30v30 they survive with most of their army remaining. So if I try this next time ill make like 4-5 rams fill them with long swords and send it before castle age and hope for the best.

I agree they are not very weak to archers. Unless they are dealing bonus dmg. Also funny thing on https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki it says they are weak to infantry but in game tech tree says they are strong vs infantry

If you can get to castle, make a siege workshop and 4-5 rams and enough longswords to fill them before your opponent gets to Castle, you’re probably playing somebody 200+ elo below you, and any strategy should work against them.
I appreciate the creativity in trying to make this work, but Hun longswords vs. Incas is just an awful matchup against a similarly skilled player. Don’t take this personally, it’s just a really ineffective strategy. You’re not using any of your strengths as the Hun player (discounted CA, faster stables, perfect knight line), but rather you’re sacrificing your mobility, using possibly the worst unit line in Castle, and teching into a line that dead ends with a weak, poorly armored unit in early Imp. Keep in mind that Incas can also make slingers, which eat longswords for breakfast. Unless you’re Viper, no amount of ram/siege tower micro with longswords against Incas is going to make this a workable strategy. It’s kind of like going archers as Spanish - in a minority of cases, the “surprise” factor might make it almost decent against an unprepared player who is poor at adapting, but other than that, it’s just not a good move.

As others have pointed out, you need to use your mobility as Huns. Castle Age is your time to shine in this matchup, as the Incas’ extra armor tech doesn’t 'kick in until Imp, and you have a pretty solid window in Castle age to use your cheap cav archers, which can do quite well against kamayuks, slingers, and even decently against eagles if microed properly. Obviously you’ll want to avoid major engagements with skirms, but that’s where your speed comes into play. Knights are great as well, as long as you avoid his kamayukes/pikes.

Sorry for the late reply!

Enter your game, go to Saves and Replays on the main menu. Find the game that you’re looking for, and check the name of it. Then, in Saves and Replays, at the bottom there should be an “Open Folder” button. Click it, then find the game that you were looking for.

After that, just upload it using Google Drive or something like that. Either that, or I can PM you my email and you can send it to me there!

Then no need to worry about Kamayuk since they can’t have Couriers, and you will have started producing CA before their castle goes up.

Good points. Sparse formation trash units to attract kamayuks or split>split>split>split + mangos, then 2H to finish.

Kamayuk are fast, bro

As fast as pikemen. Still not enough to threaten the deathball of cav archers a Hun player can get way before any castle goes up.

1. Look at kamayuk pierce armor
  2. try this in the field, it doesn’t work (only if you keep kiting and you might as well invite them to your base)

So we are talking about a unit who can have at best 2 pierce armor in Castle age.

80hp and 2 pierce armor + 16 cavarch dmg is plenty to deal with castle cavarch. More importantly, you gain the field.

The base version only has 60 HP. And anyway it’s not enough considering you need 650 stone before getting your first Kamayuk, while the Hun player will likely have 3 archery range and be able to produce CAs for not much more than Xbows. And if they somehow fail to make CA work, they can still produce said xbows…

Well,

K= 30G, 60F
CA= 60G, 40W

Just did some testing. It appears the cavarch vs kamayuk fight is a ~200% win for kamayuk vs cavarch in early castle. In late imp, however, cavarch win, even vs elite kamayuk, but the micro is horrible ( .4 tile/second difference, ranged melee + attack delay from cavarch). So if you’re hun vs inca, play defensively until late imp and pull the kamayuk into your onager/cavarch. Then push with cavarch and 2HS/ch later on.

Early castle = the time where Kamayuks won’t appear since you won’t have a castle yet. Also, what were the upgrades? If you just set the starting age as “Castle” in the scenario editor both units will only get Feudal upgrades, while in an actual game the Hun player will get at least Bodkin arrow + Husbandry ASAP.

As the civ with bad defenses and no onager I don’t think that’s possible.

1 Like

Yeah, I just meant to illustrate that overextending your push is easier in castle as huns v incas than in imp. Especially since your gold will dwindle faster.

Good ol socratic method :slight_smile: Indeed hun defenses aren’t good, but that’s the point of this thread, to show how lacking it is vs incas, as we clearly can’t come up with a viable strat. Rock, paper, scissors countering is not an option. Keep in mind, there’s “kamayuks + skirms” not just kamayuk. So cavarch is a no go. Rams no go. Any cav, no go, any siege, no go. Any inf, maybe, but not effective.

You need to work on your opener better. A scout rush is not just about killing vils but also:

• Idling vils (hit and run)
  • Delaying gold miners
  • Forcing enemy to over commit to specific unit ( you did this by forcing him to go 4-5 spears)
  • Distract him by attacking from multiple spots to keep him from fixing his economy
    etc.

I wrote a detailed guide on my blog on how to scout rush works if you want more info check it out.

You need to focus on transitioning faster. Seeing 4-5 spears is hint that he invested much food/wood so he is going to have late farm and food income. If i were you I would abuse that based on how many scouts i have alive if i have many scouts I would just over commit to them with bl or switch to archers.

And remember that scouting is the biggest part of this game keep scouting and focus you’ll do great.

1 Like

i think in general meso factions are really good vs huns more so for mayans and incas, as regardless of what the kamayuks are or are not good at

FU eagle balls for both inca and mayan just rek CA. no amount of mid level micro is going to help vs their speed, if anything one would need boss level AND decent ping, aka none of this stupid stuttering or lag that happens in these games…

so imo if the meso survives long enough to FU eagles or kamayuks, its basically gg for the hun, unless they’re a much better player…

seems we gotta focus on the earlier game pushes, which is much harder in team games, as its easy for the other player to cover up for the meso or reduce the damage done with their own units, allowing the meso to reach post imperial

which is all really ironic, that a late game native american civilisation, is better than a european one with horses. i know its for balance(like giving em trebs), but the eagle warriors are just insane without champions, or gunpowder…

1 Like

Well, Huns are an antiquity civ, so I guess if these 2 fought irl it would have given surprising results.

1 Like