How to improve the multiplayer experience?

Bro some of these ideas are terrible! It’s good in ranked games you can’t see the civ the enemy is going or know their elo. In 1v1 that especially keeps it more balanced so you don’t pick a hard counter civ.

Star Craft also has a ranked system where you don’t know the team or the enemy’s elo. You’re supposed to go in blind. That’s why it’s a ranked game it’s more competitive.

Unlimited bans? It sounds like you should stick to unranked. The point of ranked games is to get a map you might not be comfortable with. This keeps the competition higher.

Change ranked to match making?? I think if people aren’t ready for ranked they should just stick to unranked. I love that’s it’s called ranked. We’re on the same leaderboard as the best players in the world. That’s pretty cool.

Before DE the meta was random civ. Players like that a lot. Only thing they want to know is if someone goes random or pick civ. Like i said: Dont show the civ itself. Only show if he goes random or pick civ. Dont show the actual pick in case some one goes for pick civ. This means you are still blind. You cant pick a hard counter civ.

I dont know what would be benefit of not knowing the enemy. Part of AoE II history is the chatting before the game. Just the wishing of good luck to your enemy to show sportmanship. DE ruined this part of the game for me for no reason at all. For me this point isnt really important, but i have seen many complaints about this point and i do see any reason why we not add this to the game.

The meta for AoE II was always Arabia for the competative players. There was no much variaty in the maps used. You know players are playing this game for more than 20 years and dont really like to be force to play multiple maps. Some of these map are bad by design and suitable for competative play. In the end, the best map to play is just Arabia. Every pro will agree. Again, i love the variaty and i have no real issues with the current map pool, but many players are asking for more control about the maps they get. In the end it is not only about competition, but also about having fun.

It is just a cosmatic change. Everything will works exactly the same. You will still be on the same leaderboard as the best players of the world. Only thing what changed it lowers the threshold for players who are scared by the name ‘ranked’. It will still function as ranked queue. If this is needed to encourage players to move from unranked to the MM system, why not? Only thing what changed is the number of players on the ranked queue. More players on ranked = less waiting time.

Since you seem to play other similar games as well: Do you know the answer at the following question:

1 Like

Sadly, I’ve given up on the developers making meaningful improvements to the ranked system. Haven’t felt the urge to play in a couple weeks now, for the first time in years. Just keep checking to see if maybe they’ll actually improve it and prove my expectations wrong so that I can actually enjoy the game again and have fun.

2 Likes