How would you buff the Battle Elephant?

Disagree. I don’t think with my proposal BE will be more viable in TG. it will remain same.

I think this one needs to be done.

Because they never had 50% trample damage.

We’re talking about 50% trample damage Burmese BE with 2 extra PA. And why the trample needed to nerf down. Maybe you didn’t follow.

I never said Burmese were stronger. Just it is not Khmer alone that led to the trample damage nerf.

Yes Halb is a great choice in BF TG. But unfortunately not for other maps, especially open maps.

Yes absolutely. But any buff to BE will give advantage to BE while halb remains same. So BE will be scale and snowball higher. We gotta be very careful with BE and elephant in general.

1 Like

You didn’t follow matches carefully then. I saw Halberdier most of the game, for instance, yesterday, there was Halberdier majority of the match. Even Aztecs Pikeman is used in last AM vs AI match (Score was 3-0). I don’t see Castle Age Pikeman, I think Castle Age Pikeman is not great unit even in 1v1. However, Halberdier is insane.

I’ve watched all teh games on youtube.

so one game you can give an example of. if they were used as often as you say they were, yo ushould be able to point to many examples of the games on youtube. please feel free to link them. i just literally went through two entire series again and rarely saw pikes in castle age, most games didn’t reach imp.

I clicked random youtube video and I saw 32 Celts Halberdier in left of the screen, this is closed map though. Halberdier was used in current Battle of Africa, you can check yourselves. Battle of Africa 3 Qualifiers Day One $30,000 - YouTube

that’s qualifiers. now show the actual tournament. if its so easy to find games prove it. also fyi I wouldn’t call that particular map “OPEN”. the center is the only area to build and everything is tight and cramped.

Also of course celts is gonna go halbs. They have no other options.

You can check last day matches from Twitch of MembTV. BoA Yesterday Matches. Click 2:40:49 for instance, you will see Celts Halberdiers. Halberdier is used in other games. Click 7:37:13, you will see 57 Aztecs Pikeman in right corner of the screen.

So thats two games. From civs that lack good long term archers and cavalry.

I didn’t say it was only 2 games, there was more. When Halberdier civ reaches Imperial Age, it uses Halberdier 70% of the game according to what I saw.

so first game i came too in the link is the first one ot reach imp, of the 6 civs to hit imp in suomi vs los machos, teutons, celts, and burgundians have halbs. only 1 of those civs went halbs.

in game 2 5 of 6 civs have halb, 3 of those with bonuses for them, and only 2 went halb.
game 3, had 2 civs that could have easily gone boosted pike or halb but only one went for them
game 4 literally had 2 civs with solid pikes/halbs, and neither went halb.

AI vs AM game 1 saw neither mix in anything until right near the end.

game 2 had 2 on each side who could have easily mixxed in halbs and none did.

and of course game 3 had aztecs go pike eagle cuz thats about all they have. archers and cav aren’t an option for them.

certainly doesn’t look like 70% of good halb civs going halb in imp to me.

also something i want to point out that you ignored. even the commentators were pointing out that they were there only to protect teh siege. not as some sort of counter for cavalry or because they are good on open maps. nope. because they are good at sitting next to siege and being a meat shield.

as for games before yesterday, barely saw them as well.

most games aren’t even reaching imp.

And I never said you did :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: I explained why Khmer ones were good, it doesn’t and didn’t matter how armoured the Burmese ones are because they are neither cheap nor fast(the more important factor) with high damage like Khmer…

Maybe you should read what you actually said.

Do better research next time. Come back here when you have the answer

It is true that most game doesn’t reach Imperial Age. I didn’t say otherwise. Except that one, Halberdier is very common as I said before. Stream is contuining now, in TMT vs QNA first match, again Bohemians players goes Halberdier because Halberdier is good unit even in Team Games open maps.

to make it easier for people, here’s the changelog as a reminder of how much BE were actually nerfed…

blast radius, trample damage, bonus damage, tech cost

we went from an RoR khmer BE with 1.08 speed, and 10 trample damage (area damage killing halbs in 6 hits) down to the current burmese BE with 0.94 speed and 4.5 trample damage (killing halbs in 14 hits, thats 130% more hits)

the old khmer BE was almost as fast as pikemen, with massive area damage, now all BE aside from 1 cant even catch xbows, with a pittance of the area damage

there’s huge room for nerf reversion with that level of difference. imagine comparing knights or xbows with that level of change/difference between them. BE were nerfed way too much to compensate for 2 civs.

6 Likes

I think this is more relevant in castle age than in imperial age and also more relevant for units that move faster than BE.

My statement was specific to BE. The units you mention are faster and stronger against their counters than BE. If you make BE that early in the game, opponent will have plenty of time to transition to their (resource efficient) hard-counters. BE are only good in a stage of the game where you have to worry about population efficiency. Also, how do you have enough food to afford good numbers of BE with economy of late feudal to mid castle age, whether it is 120 or 100 food?

Increasing the amount of gold for BE will make them less viable in 1v1 because by the time you have food to afford good numbers of BE (whether it is 100 or 120 food), you will have to start worrying about gold running out.

My point is that training time will not affect their viability much whether it is TG or 1v1.

1 Like

Got mixed up with base attack reduction. Sorry about that.

I did. And you didn’t quote the point.

Hopefully you have understood now.

The most unnecessary change honestly. When multiple units surrounds the elephant this doesn’t change anything.

What if husbandry specifically buff elephant speed by more than 10%, say 20%?

That is a direct nerf to Dravidians elephant for no reason. Just increasing their base speed will be better. Although I will prefer this one more.

1 Like

How about Khmer don’t get it but still get 15% for elephants. Sorta Celt Squires syndrome. But everyone else gets

1 Like

Why only those civs?

Because they depend on elephant more.

That works as well.
Having a generic tech like Bloodline/Husbandry will allow us to buff/nerf elephant for a particular civ without changing the civ bonus.

1 Like

What about Burmese and Vietnamese?