[HRE] Suggestion for the devs: How to improve/change the HRE!

We’re around, but it can sometimes get a bit complicated to respond. I am personally a big advocate for transparency, but that’s not the default mode around here because of the nature of the business (justifiably so in many cases). I mostly stick to the bug forums because it’s important to capture bugs and let you all know that you all heard when doing so. But know that we are here and we are listening.

7 Likes

I don’t doubt that @SavageEmpire566 . As I been here for four years.

If you want my advice , tell your partners to be more like forgotten empires , basically like you . Transparency and responding to the concerns , is the key to maintain a healthy player base .

And heh , I know you are not in charge and this is not a complain either but you know … Making more content about the game showing it features and basically promoting the game post launch is another good idea .

Where are the dev diaries? :eyes: , you guys stopped publishing them .

2 Likes

There have been a couple of dev diary/spotlight type initiatives since I’ve been here. Can you link me to the type you enjoy/hope to see?

3 Likes

sure! but where do i find those dev diaries iniciatives? in this thread?

My ideas for dev diaries are : Civilizations , artstyle/visuals , process of making the game etcc

2 Likes

@marcoracosta205 I would very much like to read those kind of dev diaries.

1 Like

Hi, im so glad to see that HRE start with a prelate ! It was one of my suggestion. BUT ! HRE need to be more special.

I just now think about something !

-when a prelate inspire a vill or unit, the prelate stock 1g.
They need to drop the gold in a monastery or regnitz.

Other suggestion and they dont need to be all include.

-meinwork palace now a monastery with the Blacksmith upgrade but can also make prelate. Its like a high armory monastery.

-burgrave palace now train inspire unit with +2armor +2damage +10% mov speed. They now train 100% faster

• make the HRE deal epic fight againts the deli ! Hre can take sacred site at age 2. Just 2 civs while be able to do this and the deli vs HRE fight will be epic. The only way to go sacred site for hre is to go meinwork(new meinworl holy armory)

• new tech upgrade : at age IV, you can research a tech the landskenetk : holy landskenethk they can’t die by range units !! Imagine !! Make the LD became a very special units. The last damage to kill they, need to be melee damage. SOOO if they get a lot of arrow in the face, 1 HP will remain to the LD and a single melee hit will be need to kill they. BUT you will need melee unit to deal against LD. Maybe drop there hp or damage

-HRE need monasteryyyy

Monastery can garnisoned 10 units but dont shoot, all the time unit are garnisoned it generate 1g/vill/5sec

At 1 monastery you get a 10% discount on prelate and the nearby barrack work 10% faster

At 2 you get 20% discount on prelate and nearby barrack work 20% faster

And finaly at 4,also nearby siege workshop work 20% faster

These are suggestion let me know what you think. i dont whant ALL these suggestion but i think HRE need some special ingredient.

Allow the TC to hold a relic…

Thoughts?

If it could accelerate the output of unit production so that Palace of Swabia is no longer the ONLY viable choice for Age 4 and IT gets reworked into something else.

Actually, I think that increased unit production output for garrisoned relics should be for all production buildings.

So English get alternatives to Wynguard Palace production.
Rus FINALLY gets a reasonable purpose behind one of the previously most useless landmarks in the game.

Meanwhile, HRE is still stuck with Elzbach Palace which does nothing productive. It’s just standing there… NOT menacingly.

And I’m not sure how good the new Regnitz is now…

Yeah I’m not liking the new changes either…

The Elzbach Palace is still super situational, and the new regnitz cathedral is a huge blow to the civ, the fact that you can now train prelates and research the techs isn’t worth the gold that you are losing, and I don’t see how this should incentives me to put relics on other buildings. I mean, if I build the landmark it’s probably because I want to fill it with relics because to get more gold… I get reducing the number of relics hosted, but giving less gold… it really makes no sense…

You want to incourage the use of relics in other buildings, then re-buff the gold generation to +300% and let it house just 1 relic, that would at least make sense…

They buffed the meiwerk palace, but then they also super buffed the chapel, so why? People will still use the chapel…

I really don’t understand the idea behind those balance changes, the only that make sense is the one that allows prelates to both inspire and heal, and it won’t still be that much common considering the healing range of prelates…

The changes overall will make the civ close to the top. But we’ll see as more and more play the PuP and stats start showing.

Stupid me…

I just red correctly the balance changes, the change is actually good because it buff all gold generation and actually rewards map control by buffing all relics.

It still won’t incourage me to put relics in the front line, or to relocate them on defensive castles, but it’s not a nerf at least.

1 Like

The cathedral is great, just played some games with the patch.

You need to get at least 3 relics to get the same gold as before BUT, you can garrison the relics in outposts/keeps so you can take advantage of the defensive bonuses. The cathedral bonus is now, +100% gold to ALL relics, not necessarily just those in the cathedral itself.

In addition, the cathedral now acts as a monastery.

Slight nerf, with a big to moderate buff!

1 Like

Quite some time has passed now and this thread has not seen much activity. And I haven’t been very active either. Recent changes to the game have made a lot of things better and also the HRE is in a rather good spot success wise. However, I am still convinced that the HRE, just like the English, offers a little bit too little, esp. in lategame. Their lategame actually is reaching it earlier than others, build a lot of horsemen and towers and try to win by outmassing and outtowering. I find that unsatisfactory as there is no unit comp you really want to aim for. The prelate gameplay has become way better, but still is underwhelming in lategame as in too weak for having units inspired one by one. That is why I opened a new thread a few days back that focuses on balance changes altogether. English and HRE receive most of the change suggestions, but I covered all the civs and tried to find changes that would balance and improve their gameplay. Some ideas might be too strong or too weak, this would need testing, but all in all I tried to suggest a direction for each of the civs that could be taken and feels reasonable as well as in accordance to the game mechanics.

With the announcement of the two new civs, the old civs need to be looked at as well in order to see, if there is some polishing to be done. To have the game in the best possible spot on October 25. Balance is in a good spot, but there is still quite some fine tuning to be done. Some civs deserve some changes in their gameplay variety, because they are too one dimensional. Some strats and comps need some adjustments. And some civs just might a little change here and there to offer more variety and feel even better. I am looking forward to your opinions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think no civs should have less than 3 UU in this game
I would add halbardiers as a unit with bonuses against cavs and heavy units available from castle age

2 Likes

Yeah, absolutely. If you have any suggestions/ideas, feel free to post them in the thread. :slight_smile:

I also find it difficult that some civs have 3+ unique units, while others effectively only have 1 or 2. Here in this thread the Ordensritter, Ritterbruder or Teutonic Knight was suggested, but also a Landsknecht Arquebus gunner or the Black Rider, which all would be great additions to the HRE. But there only is the rather cost and pop unefficient Landsknecht, who only fills a niche and, as a historcially warranted Renaissance unit, falls very short in lategame, which should be his strong suit tbf. I for one am not too happy with this design and I think that there should be more to it. The Landsknecht is just a unique unit. It doesn’t even have any unique tech to it, unlinke the vast majority of unique units in the game. I honestly expect more, especially when it’s the only unique military unit for this civ. The Longbow has at least 3 unique techs to himself, the Mangudai also has his personal techs. The Landsknecht is just expensive, dies quickly and gets countered by everything. Even spearmen, the one unit Landsknechte actually excel against, can trade cost effciently with them, when the HRE player is not in a much better position anyway. Landsknechte are only somewhat convincing, when you are already ahead. They are units you can build, when at an advantage and when your eco is floating. If that’s not the case, building Landsknechte will lose you the game.

It’s things like that as well as certain techs and mechanics that are not quite there, where they should be. HRE has sepcial MAA and Landsknechte… The rest of their army is rather baseline and boring, offering nothing special, which is why HRE lategame eventually ends up being mass towers and mass horsemen. There should be more to it than this. Inspired Warriors also is annoying to use with having each unit inspired one by one. There is no good lategame setup to be had, in which this mechanic really makes sense.

2 Likes

Been away from this post for a long time now… so were others it seems.

Anyway, I find it hilarious that with the new civ releases, they have MORE unique units than any other civ before, with Malians having 7 and Ottomans 5.

Meanwhile, HRE still sits on 1 economy unique unit and one combat unit that’s not that good.
I mean yeah, Abbasid also has only 2 as well, but they’re designed to be specifically anty cavalry with camels.

And while you could argue that’s nothing compared to English’s ONE unique unit, the English are designed to gun you down the moment you get in range of towers/TC/castles.

I really think a new expansion needs to update old civs, and add new playable campaigns to boot for it, and HRE would be a perfect fit.

1 Like

ik at this point this will be considered necroposting but i got ur point. civs need a rework bcuz they are boring to play as they don’t have depth and the fun factor from other civs from other aoes or mallians/mongol.

2 Likes

just wanna say, HRE are like the 3rd played civ (for a reason) so when i say this, im obviously not alone, and CLEARLY you guys are the minority:

HRE are a fun civ to play. their prelates add a level of uniqueness to the civ, multiple civs do not have. every unit becomes a UU with either a speed buff AND a prelate buff. nevermind ther unique MAA and sneks.

their towers are also unique buildings (in the scheme of aoe4), when you consider 2 UTs, a unique repair and a relic significantly buffing stats.

obviously it would be nice if they added more things, but clearly the civ is enjoyed by a lot of people, so obviously dev time should be spent elsewhere, on underperforming and less used civs (ie ottos, delhi-ted and malians all need more attention than HRE)

dont let your bias cloud your judgement

that being said, the less used LMs could do with some love to encourage their use: meinwerk and Elzbach (although this one is more to do with how good swabia is)

2 Likes

So in other words Mehter makes every Ottoman unit a UU because of the buff, right? Which is even aoe, while prelates have to manually buff every single unit, which takes a long time if you have a lot of units.

Almost every Mongol building can pack up and move, that’s unique as well. Not sure why you are bringing in buildings when the topic is about units.

So why should the devs spend time on Ottomans who sits on S tier among with China with 5 unique units? Unique MAA is as unique as the English MAA.

Same could be said to you.

I’d trade Swabia for Red palace anyday, Elzbach is still bugged and literally useless, even with a relic inside it doesn’t come close to other IV defensive Landmarks.