I am defanatly gettin AOE 4 and a definitive edition

But the question is wich definitive edition do i go for AoE was the First stratergy game i ever played and provided me with hours of fun. i have lost the disk now so i can’t play it anymore so i would like the definitive edition for nostalga and more hours of fun.

then there is AoE2 definitive edition but i have and still play the Hd edation on steam is it really worth my time upgrading?

and then there is AOE3 definitive edition i have never played this one I was 14 when it came out orignaly and never got round to buying but I did learn about the time frame it covers in school at GCSE so I know the time frame pritty well.

so obviously i am gettin AOE 4 and a definitive edition just wirch one shold i go for ?

AoE come out this years. AoE 4 probably needs more than a year.

@Augustusman said:
AoE come out this years. AoE 4 probably needs more than a year.

well yeah but wich definitive edition shoud i get to tide me over?

Depends what you want on this series. The only with a release date is AoE DE(AoE1)

@Augustusman said:
Depends what you want on this series. The only with a release date is AoE DE(AoE1)

this is very true and I am tempted

Before they got released, you can play AOE DE, AOE 2 HD and AOE 3. Because their release date are all TBA except AOE DE. It’s hazy. Besides AOE3’s graphic is still not out-of-date and beyond the times. For AOE4, I only care about the iconic main theme, which I didn’t hear in the announcement trailer.

There is no info out on Age4, can anybody explain to me how you can make an informed purchase descision on that? As for the definitive editions, well… they don’t come out at the same time. It’s a bit weird to say “I’m getting one of them”. Sounds like you’re ordering a meal, not buying games which are years apart.

@GrimToadstool said:
There is no info out on Age4, can anybody explain to me how you can make an informed purchase descision on that? As for the definitive editions, well… they don’t come out at the same time. It’s a bit weird to say “I’m getting one of them”. Sounds like you’re ordering a meal, not buying games which are years apart.

You cannot purchase Age of Empires 4 yet, they have only announced it at Gamescom.

Details are scarce at the moment.

@Pyefam said:

@GrimToadstool said:

You cannot purchase Age of Empires 4 yet, they have only announced it at Gamescom.

Details are scarce at the moment.

You misunderstood me, the OP stated that he’s “getting aoe4”, so he already made the purchase descision and I question the basis for that considering there’s no info out. That you can’t preorder yet is obvious.

AoE4 is being made by Relic, who have made the Company of Heroes and Dawn of War games. What if Relic completely changes AoE and makes it in the style they made their other RTSs - with little to no emphasis on base building (which is what AoE is all about) and resource gathering, and instead has gameplay that is built around the capturing of control-point nodes?

You might want to look at how Relic’s recent RTS, Dawn of War 3, is doing. People aren’t happy with it.

I hope that Relic will do justice to the AoE series. But if they make a node-capture game instead of an AoE game, I think people will hate them.

I want a real AoE game, just like lots of people do. But I’ll wait to see what Relic produces before I assume anything about what AoE4 is going to be. Relic has no proven history of making an AoE-style game.

@“Beegor Bucleor” said:
AoE4 is being made by Relic, who made Company of Heroes and Dawn of War games. What is Relic completely changes AoE and makes it in the style they made their other RTSs - with little to no emphasis on base building (which is what AoE is all about), and gameplay that is built around the capturing of control-point nodes?

You might want to look at how Relic’s recent RTS, Dawn of War 3, is doing. People aren’t happy with it.

I hope that Relic will do justice to the AoE series. But if they make a node-capture game instead of an AoE game, I think people will hate them.

I want a real AoE game, just like lots of people do. But I’ll wait to see what Relic produces before I assume anything about what AoE4 is going to be. Relic has no proven history of making an AoE-style game.

you make a good point so my new stace is i will probaly get AOE 4

Relic can ruin or save the game.
Dawn of war3 was disappointing for the fans

Just like what I said in AOE4 thread before:" Relic made si-fi RTS like Homeworld and Warhammer DOW. Creative Assembly made many historical Total War games. So I think Relic should do Halo Wars 2 and Creative Assembly should do Age of Empires 4. But the fact is quite the opposite. "

If you’re that strapped for cash over the DE’s wait until they all come out before making a decision. No one can really tell you which one to get. It’s up to you which game you think you’ll enjoy more. If you like AoE2 a lot, then it may be worth going across when it comes out. If you want to try the others, you can either wait for the DE’s or try to get a copy of the original and try it out. Collector’s editions with all 3 games can be found cheap, or, Steam probably has 75% off at times

Actually I’m not a DoW or Warhammer fan, but I loved DoW3, especially mutliplayer, all about making the right move at the right time. It’s really good. But nevertheless, the fans didn’t like it, the campaign was meh, the progression system was a mistake and there were too few maps for mutliplayer. And what made the game so excellent wasn’t communicated to the audience.
I just happened to be really bored and had nothing else to do, so I gave it a second glance, and it’s game of the year contender for me, certainly top3.

I share the suspicions about relic. It’s as far from the age of empires formula as you can get what they do. And if microsoft just bought them, then that means that dow3 will be abandoned, which won’t do their reputation any good. The silver lining is that they have experience with RTS in general, but if they had reessembled Ensamble Studios and Big Huge Games, I’d be less suspicious.

Relic we don’t want the squad and stupid capture point system, we are AoE people not CoH type chaps

Please do justice with my fav RTS game or i’m gonna hate you forever

I agree what we don’t want are missions like you get in CoH we want a more free form experience that can sometimes take days if not weeks to complete.