I can't multitasking

Don’t worry. In recent years sience has shown the genetic part of brain functionality isn’t as dominant as thought before. You can basically learn anything from a certain age on until the moment you die. The difference is mostly in how fast you can adapt. If its rather slow, because its a new concept involving alot of neural reconception, it feels more exhausting and frustrating.

So if this a general pattern for you, AoE4 is great opportunity to learn this approach of thinking while having fun. Just don’t stress yourself.

Note, that it’s also a desired ability to be able to be super focused on something. As a matter of fact multi tasking isn’t free, it increases the rate of errors and is therefor not the best choice for doing critical stuff in parallel and even drains your focus budget when doing trivial stuff. So never think about getting out of a bad habit, rather exploring a new way to tackle certain kind of problems.

1 Like

Very educational info :slight_smile:

Game is not that overwhelming compared to SC2…

I see, I come from AoE3 and I never played SC2 so I can’t tell, but that could be one of the reasons why SC2 players are so good at this game.

Keep in mind that you should always know that is happening behind you on a highway even if you don’t switch lanes.

A good exercise is to queue up a game by yourself and focus on villager production and economy. No AI. No Players. Just you, focusing on those two things. The goal of the exercise is to scout the entire map, while you maintain constant villager production, no idle Villager time and your scout never stops moving (without using Shift-Clicking). Do this 2-3 times a day to commit it to muscle memory and time yourself. Over time, you should see your times get better, as these actions are committed to muscle memory. While you are doing this, try to get used to the hotkeys for your control groups, TC, houses and eco buildings. Cheers and good luck!

3 Likes

Not much to tell, only that it get better with practice.

If you are aware of your limits, then you are already careful and trying to change it. Usually, multitasking get easier when you start to do everything a bit faster, so you can switch between the battlefield and the city easier. Then the basics actions will also become automations, so while you are simply balancing your eco you’ll start planning your strategy.

Learning how to use hot keys and other stuff helps, but it’s still about learning and practicing.

Just keep practicing, and don’t worry, most people can’t perfectly balance eco and battlefield actions anyway.

I just read the first post btw without reading the whole discussion but yes I have those issues as well, however, watching some pros on Twitch helped me realise how they deal with that and I’m trying to replicate that with one minor successful multitask at the time. Unfortunately, you have to realise that RTS is by far among the hardest gaming genres to learn and it takes a lot of patience(with yourself) and practise to get to point of decency.

Also having different buildings assigned to different groups (e.g ctrl+7 for market, ctrl+5 for all TCs, etc.) might help you with cycling through your production without having to go back to your base and look around for different buildings you want to use.

1 Like