I don't have fun anymore

Just after you got the green banner too. Oh well.

I understand why some are turned off by the game nowadays, especially those that play against other people. I’ve always just stuck to playing against the AI and there have been periods where I took a break after a few patches made the AI suboptimal, even now I wish they’d improve it more. AoE3DE has become even more of a Frankenstein with FE now in the fold but I love what they’ve done and would like more. To me, AoEDE is in a really great place with support and DLC I could have only dreamed of. I hope it doesn’t stop for a long time.

I think FE realized AoE3 was going never become some big esports game so shifted their focus to singleplayer as best they can with the budget they have. Trying the make everyone happy is really hard. I love the unique cards and units and mechanics but I can see why the competitive players find it overwhelming.

Maybe you just need to take an extended break. Outside of when KoTM was released and the events I haven’t played much this summer just because there are other games I want to give attention to and touching grass is good for the soul. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I would like to clarify something 21
When I say “old times” I mean a few months from now, I wasn’t referring to the TAD (those few are from yesteryear), in my opinion DE is far superior and much more fun than the TAD or the nilla, but the truth is that I don’t know what happened these months, the meta changed to full turtle and up to Industrial, and I find that extremely boring, more boring than the semi ff gang.
The worst, and I realized with the first comment, getting map control and natural resources no longer gives you any tactical advantage against your opponent, people just lock in, trust their defenses and increase their economy with gridy decks . In the long run, they will beat you based on economy. If you ask me, this isn’t AoE3, it’s anything else but it’s not AoE3 anymore and I don’t find it fun (I don’t play competitively anymore, the only thing that kept me in the game was the fun)

7 Likes

I enjoy the game more now than ever personally.

20 Likes

I think that part of the blame is on the community itself, where if there is a strong rush civ, people will complain and nerf leaving it unusable. and if instead if there is a civ with a strong ff or fi fuete people do not complain because they think it is their fault for letting him go up to that age, the problem lies if you no longer have a strong rush how do you prevent the other not finish his strategy, where one has to get into his base fortress losing all his units for the other to go up anyway.

1 Like

u know what that sounds like to me? Treaty

the treaty gang was behind it all along.

On a more serious note, I sorta agree with you on some level that the benefit of map control has kinda gone down abit, which is a bit strange tbh given all the changes to native tp which should be giving even more benefit to getting map control.

Part of it could just be that the terror of the revolt build is causing everyone to turtle so hard that they are refining turtling to a never seen before level. this would mean for a next patch, nerfing both defenses and the revolt would have to be done simultaneously

1 Like

Map control is still important, depends on the civ match up too, like the second screenshot is haud and I’d always turtle vs haud or lakota because I know they have a strong rush and no artillery until late game.

4 Likes

its still good but its definitely not as strong relatively speaking. though again that may also be players getting so good at defending and preserving eco that its not as important

1 Like

You still want to use natural resources for as long as possible

I have noticed that people aren’t rushing as much. But the longer games I don’t have an issue with. But I’ve always played defensively into late fortress or longer if my opponent allows me too. Actually I’ve been winning more now that people are switching to fi. I’ve fought people that get to industrial and just send in a big army of musketeers and a few falcs and they just get wrecked because it almost seems like they just play the same as they would in age 2 or early age 3.

They’ve definitely pushed the game towards longer matches but it’s a delicate balance that needs to be struck. In my opinion, a hard fought age 2 and/or age 3 is the most fun, and getting hit with an op rush strategy or timing push from a fast industrial are equally cancerous. There is always going to be variation in game length with 1v1 on open maps ideally being quick, and big team games on maps with water or chokepoints almost devolving into treaty games. Overall, I think it would just take a few tweaks to shift the Meta earlier.

• Cut down on the number of units that shadow tech (lots of these strategies rely on units that immediately get better when you age up)
  • Revert the cost of Town Centers back to 600 wood (or at least something more than 500 wood)
  • Increase the time it takes to get to the Industrial Age
  • Balance the Revolutions
  • Get rid of gimmicky camping things like inspiring flags
16 Likes

I said this a year ago. More civs are not going to help. The ones that exist now are enough of a soup to filter. I still play alot and get frustrated by the cheese at times. However, I just accept that I’ll never get above a 1400 rating and move on. It bothers you most when you get a long string of cheese matches in a row and you fall a couple hundred ELO but that just means tomorrow you’ll get a string of easy opponents to demoralize by crushing them. Of course this makes the matching sick for them and they stop playing.

This has always been the biggest hurdle for this game. The margin of good players and marginal is not very wide due to this effect.

tbh the meta has also shift incredibly quickly, so fast that I think any dev involvement is minimal, at least for the most recent changes. I would argue the tourney has done more to change the meta then the devs has tbh.

Like before the tourney, FI wasnt the meta that we are seeing now. Arguably the strongest strats were age 2 -age 3 strats. heck before the tourney Italian FI wasnt considered to be a thing, the op strats in the qualifiers were all age 2 outlaw strats. Both lakota and china which had good winrates in the tourney mostly never FI as well.

It wasnt until the barbary revolt started spreading that things shift I would argue. that needs to be fixed first and foremost.

edit: also add back more non-tp maps into the pool, the current pool favours the faster strats too much

5 Likes

The thing I like about Age 3 is how different the civs are. It gives plentyof flavour to the game

7 Likes

Yeah but the complexity means the player base will never grow beyond those already familiar w the game.

con este hilo le dimos otro motivo para que los jugadores del aoe 2 y el 4 despotriquen contra el 3 asi que bravo, va se acabo si esto ha de ser a si prefiero no publicar más ni hablar bien de nada, yo me largo de aqui.

1 Like

More single player content could at least give some playera te motivaron to buy it. Also, single player content let’s you learn game mechanics

5 Likes

The worst, and I realized with the first comment, getting map control and natural resources no longer gives you any tactical advantage against your opponent, people just lock in, trust their defenses and increase their economy with gridy decks . In the long run, they will beat you based on economy.

Company of heroes and Dawn of War force players to advance and control strategic positions.

In age of empires 3 we have trading posts, maybe they could give more significant advantages?

-Nearby capture for route trading posts too?
-Trading posts cheaper ?
-Trade monopoly at age 3?
-Higher xp gain with natives?
-Higher resource gain with routes?

Good ideas I think

1 Like

eu jogava muito o 3 mais depois que entrou uma geração nova de jogadores o jogo mudou a fórmula totalmente eu parei de jogar todos os dias para apenas 1 ou 2 partidas por semana eu sinceramente não tenho mais paciência pra esses tipos de jogadores novos

Does seem to be alot of new players showing up recently in the qs. I beat them easily even though they are rated the same as me. I think this means the old player base not playing as much and they are gaining rating playing alot amongst themselves.

The general skill level seems to be down.

1 Like

//oh y por cierto, si bien en su momento utilize la strat de berberia, luego me di cuenta de que era muy lammer, asi que preferi obtar con otras cosas para italia, y me funciona, nadie se espera un ataque de 20 schiavone en 2da junto algunos crabats (compañia croata) o un ejercito masivo de picas y ballestas con españa en 2da

Its a a matter of preference. Personally, I don’t like getting rushed every game (happens at lower ELOs currently). My TC goes down and the game is over quickly. Apparently it is the opposite at higher ELOs where everyone is apparently turtling. I play the game to use a bunch of cool units, that is where the fun is for me. If I FF I can get access to cooler units. So watching ‘pro’ games are boring for me to see two armies made of an exact 50/50 ratio of skrim/goon (or equivalent). I’m betting there are more players at the lower ELOs. So what are devs to do? Playing versus a turtle who sits in his base behind walls though and never attacks, while I can’t do anything, that is the most irritating thing ever, although there is just one guy who shows up in ranked who always does this. I think he likes to noob bash and loses games on purpose so he can keep doing this ‘strat’. I prefer a bunch of interesting and cool units, even if they aren’t the perfect counter, the OP doesn’t and prefers intensive micro of two different unit types over and over.

I think DE is totally awesome right now and is a 9.9/10, only reason it isn’t a 10 is because I get rushed constantly every game, especially otto always does the same thing and I can’t stop it even when I know its coming, and Soldados, for example, are OP AF and don’t make any sense why they are better on a cost/pop basis versus any other unit, other than that it is close to perfect.

2 Likes